The Student Room Group

How competitive?

Hi there,

Just out of curiosity i was wondering how competitive the different engineering courses are to get into compared to other courses which are very difficult to get into such as medicine.
Just say medicine was 10 on a scale of 1 to 10, or if you know any more difficult course let that be 10. what would you say the civil, electrical, mechanical and chemical engineering would be?

I am planning to apply for chemical engineering by the way so i just want to know what kinda compition im up against, so far for AS i have AABB in Maths, Chemistry and the Bs in Biology and Geography. I have decided to take up AS physics since i think i will enjoy it and will help me with engineering.

Thanks alot
I applied for Chem Eng with ABBB at AS in Maths, Chem, Bio, History. Predicted grades of AAB. I got offers ranging from AAA (which I achieved) to BBB. I'm sure you'll be fine.
Reply 2
Ooops wrong place. Sorry, please delete this!
Reply 3
Applying for General, Electrical, Electromechanical and Acoustic, offers (6) were AAAA, AAB, AAB, AAB, ABB, ABB. More competitive than some subjects, like Chemistry, less competetive than Medicine certainly.
Reply 4
It really depends on the course and the university.

For example, here are the stats for Imperial:

http://www3.imperial.ac.uk/portal/pls/portallive/docs/1/20901696.PDF

The 4th page gives you the applications per place on all the courses...Aeronautical Engineering was 8.2:1, whereas Medicine was 6.2:1.
Reply 5
I agree with Nikuhiru. It depends entirely on the University, the course, etc...

Latest