The Student Room Group

can you get a ring resized?

i'm curious to know. And is it expensive?
In short, yes. I had a sterling silver ring made larger by one ring size, and it took all of 5 minutes and cost a fiver. For more complicated alterations, the jewellery would have to be sent away and posted to you, or collected. I'm not sure off hand how much it'd cost, but I don't think it's that expensive at all. Just don't go to a high street jeweller, as they tend to charge above and beyond.

If the ring in question has a precious stone in it, then it does make the job more complicated, and possibly more expensive. Silver and Gold differ in strength (they're both quite soft metals and prone to damage) so I'd definitely ask for a quote.
Reply 2
okay thanks because i have a gold ring with a ruby in the middle that my dad got for me and it fits now but i have a feeling it will get a little bit bigger in the future coz my fingers seem to get smaller.
Reply 3
If you avoid high street jewellers, what kind of places should you look for instead? I need a ring resizing too, damn spindly fingers.
WarmSound
If you avoid high street jewellers, what kind of places should you look for instead? I need a ring resizing too, damn spindly fingers.

Small independent jewellers tend to be cheaper. I kind of trust them more than in chain stores, as well...
Reply 5
also, high street jewellers will need to send it off, some small jewellers can do it on site - There is one not far from me with all the torches etc to do it straight away.
Reply 6
Gold and silver rings shouldn't be a problem. But depending on the style of the ring, you may only be able to get it resized by two sizes in either direction (for example, an N could be resized to a P or L) and some rings (eternity, stainless steel etc) can't really be resized at all.

Also, resizing can sometimes affect the stone settings (I've seen stones fall out very occasionally after resizing) so it may be worth your while when you go looking for quotes to ask whether they would be able to offer a guarantee regarding that.

Bear in mind though that I only work in a jewellery department every so often and the extent of my knowledge is limited by my training (or lack thereof :p:)
Reply 7
Yuna47
Gold and silver rings shouldn't be a problem. But depending on the style of the ring, you may only be able to get it resized by two sizes in either direction (for example, an N could be resized to a P or L) and some rings (eternity, stainless steel etc) can't really be resized at all.

Also, resizing can sometimes affect the stone settings (I've seen stones fall out very occasionally after resizing) so it may be worth your while when you go looking for quotes to ask whether they would be able to offer a guarantee regarding that.

You're right. The stone setting is the reason most jewellers on the high street won't resize by more than two sizes but if you're only having it changed by one or two sizes, the ring and the stones will be fine. Any more than that and it depends on the setting.
Reply 8
Go for a small independent jeweller.

They'll give you good advice and tend to be cheaper.

I was given my Great Great Grandmothers wedding ring and had the stone removed and had it resized for.

It went up quite a few sizes as I she was a thin lady and I'm pretty much as far the opposite as you can get. It needed some extra 24ct gold adding and the jeweller tried several types to make sure he got a good colour match.

The ring was worth about £500 and he only charged £50 to do the work.

Just had it appraised at £900 for insurance, so definitely worth having it done.
Reply 9
Why can't stainless steel rings be resized? I have a feeling that mine may only be stainless steel, it was from accessorize or something and not expensive.
A ring from Accesorize won't be worth they money tbh. Unless it's fine jewellery, like yellow or white gold, silver or platinum, then you'll be sent packing (or they'll just laugh in your face)......
Reply 11
Shame, it's such a gorgeous ring, despite being cheap! I've never seen anything like it in a shop like that before! Maybe when I'm living in a house made of gold bars one day I'll pay someone to recreate it using diamonds and precious metals.
Reply 12
Yes you can and its not expensive. I had one done this summer and you cannot tell its been altered.

Just take it to a good jewllers.
Reply 13
Grrr, at this rate I'm going to have to go down the resizing route if I want a new ring :frown:
Reply 14
WarmSound
Why can't stainless steel rings be resized?

You can't resize stainless steel because one of it's properties is that it has very little 'give'.

That's why it's used to make pressure vessels.
I used Hirschfelds Hatton Garden London and their on site workshop sized did a great resizing on my ring - I highly recommend them.
Reply 16
As a general rule, the process involves cutting the ring open, removing or adding some of the metal, resoldering it and repolishing it. Sometimes a ring enlargement can be done by heating it and stretching it. As pointed out, certain stone set bands can't be altered by much, with some, like full eternity rings, not being able to be altered at all. Patterned rings also can't be perfectly altered, as a general rule.
Can I resize my ring up from p to a u?
I had to get mine resized when I was in Dubai,so yes it's possible
Reply 19
I was going to say 'Prison' but the above posts are probably more useful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending