The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
There is the pool run by the city which is the cheapest and a little grotty but its ok, or there is the marriot but I think that is quite expensive! I looked into membership of the city one but you'd have to swim 3 times a week for the whole year (we aren't even there!) to justify it! You can see opening times, prices etc. at this website:

http://www.durhamcity.gov.uk/Leisure/Facilities/elvet_swimming

Hope that helps!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 181
^^ Thanks a lot! I knew a fellow johnian would help lol :biggrin:
Will I need to take a notice board and a lamp for my room in Hild Bede?
Reply 183
I don't know about Hild Bede, but rooms in Mildert already had a notice board, I'd wait til you get there before buying one. A lamp could be useful, though your room may already have a bedside light.
Reply 184
Clouless
^^ Thanks a lot! I knew a fellow johnian would help lol :biggrin:

hehehe, welcome to John's!!!!! Maybe I'll see you next week since I'll be around for things like meet the parents!
For Hild Bede types:

Is there anywhere to store stuff over the holidays? I didn't pay for the room over the holidays (as I am going home), but it would be a bit of a drag to take the ferry every time.
what pc speakers should i take?
a) good quality with silly power thing
b) skinny space saving but rubbish ones
c) fat okay ones?
Reply 187
EmeraldPete
For Hild Bede types:

Is there anywhere to store stuff over the holidays? I didn't pay for the room over the holidays (as I am going home), but it would be a bit of a drag to take the ferry every time.

Some colleges allow people to store stuff in bed boxes over holidays. I'm not sure what HB's policy is, definately give them a call to ask.
Is there a:
d) Grado/Sennheiser cans?

If not, I'd go for A.
Reply 189
LastGrape
what pc speakers should i take?
a) good quality with silly power thing
b) skinny space saving but rubbish ones
c) fat okay ones?

What do you mean by "silly power thing"? Take decent ones over poor quality I'd say, they're very useful when listening to music and watching DVDs especially.
ok, im packing and there IS SO MUCH, how much is excessive?? so far I have one massive suitcase, 2 big bags, a massive plastic bag, 2 smaller luggage bags, laptop and stuff, and i still havent packed loads :s-smilie:. is this normal?
Reply 191
I too have a huge amount of stuff. 1 really big suitcase, 2 smaller ones, a big ikea bag, a box with mugs etc in, a smallish box with sheet music in, a bin bag, a large plastic box with shoes in. And some other stuff. That's not including my Cello, printer laptop and various other things which haven't yet been packed. I'm not actually sure how I'll fit it all in :s-smilie: (the room, not the car)
thank goodness someone else is the same! i dont know where ill put it all either, hopefully the bed is really high so i can fit loads under :P
the end of the power cord goes into a kettle lead splitter, so you can plug your pc in and then plug em both into one socket. I won't use it with my PC as i think just think those things are dodgey and not done anymore, so I might tape the PC end of the splitter up to look safer.
I'm going with it though.

PC/techy stuff is almost unplugged and together, non-essentials sorting will start soon.
Reply 194
Just wondering how we go about setting up the Internet using our room network ports. Is it just a case of filling in some forms over the network and you get access? :smile:

Edit - Answered my own question by searching, doesnt look to hard to setup. :smile: http://thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=6252459&highlight=Durham+Setting+up+internet#post6252459
I know I am a current student but in relation to the above question will returning students get a cable in their rooms do you think? I've misplaced mine since first year!
Reply 196
I was wondering that too, Judith. If I don't get one I'll just go to college office and ask for one as I'm pretty sure they're the ones that sort all that stuff out.

I survived 1st and 2nd year without internet in my room though, so it's not a massive deal if I don't get a cable (and a disk as well, I've never installed all the Durham uni internet stuff on my computer before), as it's really easy to get internet access in Durham anyway.
Reply 197
In Trevs, returning students just had to go see the IT Committee or the Porters Lodge I believe and they would give out cables :smile:
yup, my college reception gave us internet cables. had to get the right receptionist though... :biggrin:
Luckily a cable was in my room when I arrived yesterday so I had no bother!

I do have a question for fellow Politics students(of which I think there are only about 2:P) when do we go and register? Is it today or tomorrow? I seem to remember Thursday last year for some strange reason but cannot find any information about it online at all.

Quick Reply

Latest