The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DavidCrow
The typical offer went up to A*AA just this year :/ We've been done by tuition fees and now higher entry requirements *sigh. oh well. good luck for your application! :smile:

Fairly sure it was ABB back in my day and tuition fees were only £1225 (as this was before top up fees were introduced in 2006). Don't hate though, there were fewer students receiving top grades even if it was still a large number and grade inflation was certainly rampant.

You're entitled to more financial support that us pre-2006 starters, so at least that's something, just a shame it's means tested.

This isn't me bragging. Someone who studied 10 years before me could say, "it was BCC entry, there weren't any tuition fees at all, and we all received grants". I felt like I was being screwed compared to those who started only a few years before and so are you. Goodness knows what our Higher Education system will be like in 10 years time so, really, try and keep positive.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by law-bug
do I need to write about my gap year on my PS? it's purely financial and would remove quality content

Sounds like you've answered the question yourself already! If you think it would add anything useful then include it. Otherwise I don't think anyone is obliged to mention what they were up to.:smile:
Original post by law-bug
do I need to write about my gap year on my PS? it's purely financial and would remove quality content

Try and do some volunteering alongside the paid employment if you can, or relevant internships and, if you do this, it is worth a brief mention. The university will know you're taking a year out and will want to know what you're doing during this time. If you don't then it isn't worth mentioning.

Ultimately get your PS reviewed by the PS helpers on this website and they'll be able to give good advice.

Do you actually have a job lined up? If not you might find you won't be able to sign on for Job Seekers Allowance (as you have a university place being kept open for you) and we all know how difficult it can be finding a job right now.
Reply 3683
Original post by River85
Try and do some volunteering alongside the paid employment if you can, or relevant internships and, if you do this, it is worth a brief mention. The university will know you're taking a year out and will want to know what you're doing during this time. If you don't then it isn't worth mentioning.

Ultimately get your PS reviewed by the PS helpers on this website and they'll be able to give good advice.

Do you actually have a job lined up? If not you might find you won't be able to sign on for Job Seekers Allowance (as you have a university place being kept open for you) and we all know how difficult it can be finding a job right now.

This is the dilemma i'm having- study hard now, get grades for Durham, but cut out part time job to study more ( A*AA is damn hard, even with A*A*A* predicted), which means if I take a gap year i'l have no references for jobs. I was thinking of trying some secretarial type job with just A levels but who wants to take a kid who will leave in a year?
Original post by law-bug
This is the dilemma i'm having- study hard now, get grades for Durham, but cut out part time job to study more ( A*AA is damn hard, even with A*A*A* predicted), which means if I take a gap year i'l have no references for jobs. I was thinking of trying some secretarial type job with just A levels but who wants to take a kid who will leave in a year?

Temp work is available but, depending on where you live, limited.

You won't necessarily need to inform an employer you're going to university in a year. But if you don't then they'll probably suspect you're only there for the short-term anyway (judging by your qualifications and grades) and you'll get bored easily. It's what I've found when looking for admin work in the past.

Secretarial work is probably beyond your reach as you'll need other qualifications and experience, it's quite a professional job.

There are students who are still able to find shop work, if you don't think that will bore you. In the end it's still money and you can combine it with volunteering.

I'd check whether or not you'd be entilted to Job Seekers Allowance. I believe I was when I took a year out before university (travel plans fell through due to illness and couldn't find a job despite efforts). However, this was in 2004 and I think the rules have changed. When I withdrew from university in 2007 - 2009 I was initially told I'm not entitled to job seekers as, if you have a place open at university, you're effectively classed as a student. In the end I was able to as I left due to medical reasons and medical exceptions are made. It might just be that the jobcentre staff had no idea what they were talking about. It wouldn't surpise me as I signed off soon after as the staff are so patronising and crap...

As well as not informing an employer you could just not inform the JobCentre staff about your university plans. I can't remember if there's anything on the application form asking if you have a place open for you on a course. If it does ask on the form then I wouldn't recommend lying,
Can anyone tell me how to access past papers on DUO? I can't seem to find the link anywhere... :redface:
Original post by Antifazian
Can anyone tell me how to access past papers on DUO? I can't seem to find the link anywhere... :redface:

Library tab, select department from the drop down menu :smile:
Reply 3687
Original post by Antifazian

Click on 'Library' on the top row of tabs. In the centre column (under the 'Welcome to Durham University Library' box) is a drop down box entitled 'Examination papers'. Then all you need to do is to select your department, and you'll find folders with the papers for each year since 2000.
Original post by purple-girl

tomtr

Cheers guys :smile:
Reply 3689
Got 3 questions:
1) what time do Durhamites go 'out' at? How many times a week for a fresher,2nd year, 3rd year?

2) Anyone doing Bsc Geography- how is it compared to A level? is it insanely difficult? How are the teaching standards etc.

3)I trade forex a few times a month, but I have to be at the market/at my laptop at 10pm EVERY night to see if the trade is on- is this manageable? I'm worried i'd be left out by staying in until 10 with all the socials etc going on ( though this is only on week days, about 5 times a month).
Laslty
Reply 3690
1) it depends on the group, Durham clubs shut at 2 so people do tend to go out earlier than in big cities, for us a normal night would be pre drinking/college bar till about 10.30, then down to a bar in town (jimmyA's/fabios) then onto a club, however when im on sport socials involving a bar crawl these can start as early as 7.30/8.

How many times again depends on the person/group, im a 3rd year and this week im going out 4 times, although thats not typical. Freshers are probably 3/4 nights a week once you've been here a while (obvs more at the start), 2/3 for 2nd years and 1/2 for finalists. But as I said, this completely depends in the individual.

2) Sorry I dont

3) Erm maybe, although im a bit confused as you say every night but then say only 5 times a month. During freshers week it would definately be a problem as you would miss the organised activities where you generally get to know people. Once your more into term though you could probably manage.
Reply 3691
what days are the rugby team soicals held on? weekdays or weekends?
Reply 3692
Most sports socials are Wed night
Original post by law-bug
what days are the rugby team soicals held on? weekdays or weekends?

Could be any day but more likely to be Wednesday, Friday or Saturday. Probably depends on the actual team too.
I have my offer from both the uni and Butler :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:...will track update from campus code Z to campus code 9? :biggrin:
Original post by archie0705
I have my offer from both the uni and Butler :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:...will track update from campus code Z to campus code 9? :biggrin:

Congrats! Yep, it should do (assuming that's the code for Butler).
Reply 3696
Is the economics department moving closer to Josephine Butler college? I'm sure I heard that at the open day a few months ago but I can't find anything on the website.
Original post by mattj94
Is the economics department moving closer to Josephine Butler college? I'm sure I heard that at the open day a few months ago but I can't find anything on the website.

Yes, I think it's moving to the Business school building which is up past Aiden's, so on the hill where Butler is but the opposite side of the hill to Butler. It's definitely moving to the hill.

However that is only where seminars are held (you will have 2 or 3 seminars a week).

Most lectures (usually 10/12 in first year, 5/6 in second year) are in Elvet Riverside which is near the town centre. The other lectures will be at the science site.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/map/durham/ - the business school is number 1 on that map. Elvet Riverside is number 25. Butler's number 55.

I hope that helps!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3698
Original post by undergradstudent
Yes, I think it's moving to the Business school building which is up past Aiden's, so on the hill where Butler is but the opposite side of the hill to Butler. It's definitely moving to the hill.

However that is only where seminars are held (you will have 2 or 3 seminars a week).

Most lectures (usually 10/12 in first year, 5/6 in second year) are in Elvet Riverside which is near the town centre. The other lectures will be at the science site.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/map/durham/ - the business school is number 1 on that map. Elvet Riverside is number 25. Butler's number 55.

I hope that helps!

Thanks for that :smile: How long would it take to walk or cycle to 1) The business school and 2) Elvet Riverside ?

Also, is there an area where you can lock up your bike at the business school and Elvet Riverside.

Thanks
Original post by mattj94
Thanks for that :smile: How long would it take to walk or cycle to 1) The business school and 2) Elvet Riverside ?

Also, is there an area where you can lock up your bike at the business school and Elvet Riverside.

Thanks

From Butler? There are bike racks at Elvet Riverside I think, it's probably a 20 minute walk. I don't know if there's a path/short cut from Butler to the business school, but if there isn't you would have to walk down the hill then up the hill again on the road to Aidan's, so around 12 minutes?

Quick Reply

Latest