The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

So I have a question about the various Anthropology degrees on offer.. on UCAS, there are two plain Anthropology courses listed. One is a BA with required grades of AAB, the other is a BSc course with required grades of BBB.

So which do I apply for?!

Background info - I currently study Religious Studies, Drama, English Literature and French at AS Level, so this is obviously in regards to 2013 entry. GCSE grades were one A*, four A's and four B's.

I am absolutely stuck as to if I should even apply to Durham at all, as my grades are almost certainly not good enough. But other than that, it seems like an ideal university for me! If I do apply, I'm leaning towards applying for the BSc course, but I want to know how it's different to the BA course and why the grade boundaries are so much lower. Help meeeeeeeee
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by canthaveit
So I have a question about the various Anthropology degrees on offer.. on UCAS, there are two plain Anthropology courses listed. One is a BA with required grades of AAB, the other is a BSc course with required grades of BBB.

Background info - I currently study Religious Studies, Drama, English Literature and French at AS Level, so this is obviously in regards to 2013 entry. GCSE grades were one A*, four A's and four B's.

I am absolutely stuck as to if I should even apply to Durham at all, as my grades are almost certainly not good enough. But other than that, it seems like an ideal university for me! If I do apply, I'm leaning towards applying for the BSc course, but I want to know how it's different to the BA course and why the grade boundaries are so much lower. Help meeeeeeeee

If I remember rightly, the Bsc is taught at the Stockton campus, for which the entry requirements are lower for most courses. The higher entry BA will be the Durham campus course.
Original post by Antifazian
If I remember rightly, the Bsc is taught at the Stockton campus, for which the entry requirements are lower for most courses. The higher entry BA will be the Durham campus course.

Ah, I see. I'm not as keen on the Stockton campus - I like the Durham campus a lot more as it seems to be more traditional, but Stockton might be the only option for me :s-smilie: Thank you!

Anthropology BA
Course Content
Anthropology BSc
Course Content

There appear to be differences in the content. :smile:
Ah, I see. I'm not as keen on the Stockton campus - I like the Durham campus a lot more as it seems to be more traditional, but Stockton might be the only option for me :s-smilie: Thank you!

They're very different.

The BA is in Durham city and is a mix of social anthropology and biological anthropology modules. You take 2 modules (out of 6) from other departments in your first year, so you could take a Psychology module, a sociology module, a History module, etc.

The BSc is only biological anthropology modules, and is taught at the Stockton Campus, which is a small, modern campus 23 miles away from Durham city. (It's a couple of miles outside Middlesbrough).

Definitely look at the course content as the degrees are very different, you can see degree outlines here:
BA (social and biological anthropology) - http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l602.pdf
BSc (biological anthropology) - http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l620.pdf
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3885
@Zenobia Yes but surely, if you only hear as late as April, you miss the Visit Day in March?
Would they invite you to another visit day?
Original post by TheButcherBoii
Hey... Il be visiting st Cuthbert's open day in March.... I got reply from the college that I can come that day...But im not completely sure what I should do...that info enclosed seems kinda limited for those people who are not staying overnight !
Thanks

Im a Cuths student, not there at the minute but when I went to March open day I never stopped overnight or at least not in the college. I actually didnt arrive until very late at night on the first day and the following day there were a few tours around the buildings and a talk in the dining hall, I kinda felt like id already been assigned to Cuth's (I actually applied there, not many people can say that!) so I couldnt really do anything if I didnt like it anyway! Its only worth it to see the rooms you might be living in (since Cuth's have a few choices).
Reply 3887
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I was just wondering what any current students think of University College? I have an offer there for Law! :biggrin:
Also if anyone does Law could you please tell me a bit about the course and if you enjoy it?
Original post by undergradstudent
They're very different.

The BA is in Durham city and is a mix of social anthropology and biological anthropology modules. You take 2 modules (out of 6) from other departments in your first year, so you could take a Psychology module, a sociology module, a History module, etc.

The BSc is only biological anthropology modules, and is taught at the Stockton Campus, which is a small, modern campus 23 miles away from Durham city. (It's a couple of miles outside Middlesbrough).

Definitely look at the course content as the degrees are very different, you can see degree outlines here:
BA (social and biological anthropology) - http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l602.pdf
BSc (biological anthropology) - http://www.dur.ac.uk/resources/faculty.handbook/degrees/frameworks/l620.pdf

Thank you for your advice! I'm more inclined to study a mixture of biological and social anthropology and I like that I can choose two other modules, so I think I'll attempt to apply for the BA course. The links came in very handy :smile:

Out of interest, is there much of a 'rivalry' (for want of a better word) between Stockton campus and Durham City campus? Having being linked to the 'Durham memes' group on Facebook I can't help but notice the odd negative comment here and there...
(edited 12 years ago)
Thank you for your advice! I'm more inclined to study a mixture of biological and social anthropology and I like that I can choose two other modules, so I think I'll attempt to apply for the BA course. The links came in very handy :smile:

Out of interest, is there much of a 'rivalry' (for want of a better word) between Stockton campus and Durham City campus? Having being linked to the 'Durham memes' group on Facebook I can't help but notice the odd negative comment here and there...

It's hard to say that there's any sort of rivalry, as I've never heard anyone from Stockton making fun of Durham City - as far as I'm aware, it's entirely one-way; us mocking the people down at Stockton in the same way that we mock Hatfielders - everyone knows it's not seriously meant.

Most of the Stockton memes were actually done by students in Stockton :smile:. The rivalry in Durham is all college based (though it's all very friendly!).
Reply 3891
Hi everyone, so far i got an offer to study business finance in Stockton, I just wonder is it good to study there?? I mean for the future jobs
Reply 3892
Original post by helen.x
Sorry if this has already been asked, but I was just wondering what any current students think of University College? I have an offer there for Law! :biggrin:
Also if anyone does Law could you please tell me a bit about the course and if you enjoy it?

In short, university college is amazing.
In long, have a gander at my blog to see what it's really like :smile:
I'm a first year and I've been blogging pretty much every day about my experiences

http://clungerrs.blogspot.com/
Reply 3893
Original post by Clungers
In short, university college is amazing.
In long, have a gander at my blog to see what it's really like :smile:
I'm a first year and I've been blogging pretty much every day about my experiences

http://clungerrs.blogspot.com/

Thank you!! :smile:
Does the University offer internships or a service to find internships/jobs over the easter break?
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about st marys please? I know about the buildings etc. but was thinking more if it's a quiet college, what sort of people go to here, if there are many activities going on during the week? thanks.
Original post by luceyinthesky8
Does the University offer internships or a service to find internships/jobs over the easter break?

Internships tend to be in the summer (except banking spring weeks, which are over Easter). The Easter holiday is 5 weeks long, but most people have about 2 weeks relaxing and then start revising for the summer exams, or do essays which are due in just after Easter. It's feasible to do a week or two of work experience in the holiday, but internships usually involve you doing real work, so tend to last for 4 - 12 weeks.

The careers website has loads and loads of vacancies advertised on it, from household name banks to SMEs and larger companies which most people have never heard of.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 3897
guys know it's impossible to answer... but if you're still waiting in March is it MORE likely you're gonna get an offer as opposed to a rejection?
Original post by cbyrnex
guys know it's impossible to answer... but if you're still waiting in March is it MORE likely you're gonna get an offer as opposed to a rejection?

There really is no way of knowing...when I applied I had friends that getting offers and others getting rejections in March...try not to think of it in terms of being more/less likely to get an offer, just wait it out; you'll hear within the next couple of weeks. Good luck!
got an offer from durham and will be probally going to st hillde and bede . how is the accomodation there and how many students for every bathroom ( i'm not used too sharing bathrooms with strangers:s-smilie:) .

Also wondering about the socializing , do most people hang out with their flatmates , coursemates ?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending