The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

are traditions a big thing at durham (st marys)? my choice is between War studies at KCL and IR at Durham. Favorite course is war studies but I think i would prefer the small community and 'oldness' of a small town.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 4021
Original post by Brand New Eyes
What are tutorials like?

(sizes, time wise, work you do)

Also, is it possible to change your college allocation D:

Tutorials vary a lot by subject and by which tutor you have. I do biology and mine are fortnightly, 6 people, we look at current scientific literature and the tutor sets us essays/articles to write. But like I said, it massively depends on your subject.

I think you can only change college if there's some sort of medical reason like, I don't know, being physically disabled and wanting to be moved to a college closer to your department? If it's just personal preference, then I really doubt it. Plus, Van Mildert is pretty cool :smile:
Hi. :smile: I've applied for German and ab inito Russian (2012 entry), and I'm really struggling to choose between Durham and UCL. Would anyone who studies Modern Languages be willing to let me pester them with some questions? I can PM you if you'd prefer. :smile:
Original post by thisisaweirdbus
Hi. :smile: I've applied for German and ab inito Russian (2012 entry), and I'm really struggling to choose between Durham and UCL. Would anyone who studies Modern Languages be willing to let me pester them with some questions? I can PM you if you'd prefer. :smile:

Hey :smile: Don't post here much these days but stumbled across this!

Admittedly I'm not doing German or Russian but I am doing Modern Languages (French + ab initio Italian), so if you've got any general questions about how the course works or the place itself, then feel free to pester away and I'll do my best to help! PM or here, whichever you want :smile:
Hi

Got unconditional for a foundation course 2 months or so ago and still havent heard from the college ( Applied for St hills and bede) . Am i going to have to wait until everyone gets their exams result in august?

And can anyone tell me if st hills and bede is any good as in accomodation , the people there , i just blindly pickt it :s-smilie: Much appreciated
Is Economics taught in the Business School?

:/ Admission Inquiries are on Old Elvet road but surely that's not where it is taught?
Is Economics taught in the Business School?

:/ Admission Inquiries are on Old Elvet road but surely that's not where it is taught?

The department of economics and finance, within the wider business school, is based at Old Elvet. Teaching will take across the city, however, but largely Old Elvet and nearby Elvet Riverside (on New Elvet).
Original post by River85
The department of economics and finance, within the wider business school, is based at Old Elvet. Teaching will take across the city, however, but largely Old Elvet and nearby Elvet Riverside (on New Elvet).

Thanks! Do tutorials also take place on Elvet?
Thanks! Do tutorials also take place on Elvet?

Tutorials are in the economics department on Old Elvet, however from September 2013 they will be at the top of the Hill in the new business school building (next to Aidan's college).

Lectures are mainly at elvet riverside, the block of lecture theatres on the main road up to the science site. A couple of modules have lectures at the science site.
Reply 4029
Original post by hardy_4_paws
Hi, I'm a first year studying Law at Van Mildert college, so feel free to direct any questions you have about the course my way. x

Hey! I was just wondering if you know what the reputation of Durham Law School is like amongst the top UK law firms, particular the MC? :smile:

Also how are you enjoying the law course so far? Oh and is there any opportunities to do any placements/work experience or anything abroad. Sorry for all the questions! x
Original post by undergradstudent
Tutorials are in the economics department on Old Elvet, however from September 2013 they will be at the top of the Hill in the new business school building (next to Aidan's college).

Lectures are mainly at elvet riverside, the block of lecture theatres on the main road up to the science site. A couple of modules have lectures at the science site.

Cheers! What is this new building you speak of :eek: tell me more!?
Cheers! What is this new building you speak of :eek: tell me more!?

Positives: brand new building :smile:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/about/development/

Negatives: opposite end of Durham from the old department... so whereas before if you were in a Bailey college it was a 5 minute walk to lectures and 10 minutes to tutorials, now it will be a 5 minute walk to lectures and a 25 minute walk to tutorials (basically you can't win by picking either a hill or bailey college as contact hours will be split between the top of the hill and elvet riverside).
Original post by helen.x
Hey! I was just wondering if you know what the reputation of Durham Law School is like amongst the top UK law firms, particular the MC? :smile:

Also how are you enjoying the law course so far? Oh and is there any opportunities to do any placements/work experience or anything abroad. Sorry for all the questions! x

Magic circle firms are in Durham all the time doing networking events, presentations, skills events, etc. Durham's law society has an arrangement with some MC and SC firms where they have Durham-only exclusive open days in their offices and do mentoring schemes where you are mentored by a current solicitor in one of the firms.

At least one MC firm does interviews in Durham (to save everyone getting the train down to their offices) so obviously they interview a good number of Durham students or it wouldn't be worthwhile them coming up.
Magic circle firms are in Durham all the time doing networking events, presentations, skills events, etc. Durham's law society has an arrangement with some MC and SC firms where they have Durham-only exclusive open days in their offices and do mentoring schemes where you are mentored by a current solicitor in one of the firms.

At least one MC firm does interviews in Durham (to save everyone getting the train down to their offices) so obviously they interview a good number of Durham students or it wouldn't be worthwhile them coming up.

Hi, This seems to be a question and answer session predominantly about Law, but I had a more general question. Which college would you say is most open to applications from mature students? I'm a 23 year old History student who's looking to progress back onto full-time degree study after a couple of years out travelling and working, and then an unfortunate period of illness. I've recently completed a Foundation Certificate in History and so am hoping that this would be viewed favourably alongside my A-levels.

I'd appreciate any feedback you could give.
Many thanks,

Sebastian
Positives: brand new building :smile:

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/about/development/

Negatives: opposite end of Durham from the old department... so whereas before if you were in a Bailey college it was a 5 minute walk to lectures and 10 minutes to tutorials, now it will be a 5 minute walk to lectures and a 25 minute walk to tutorials (basically you can't win by picking either a hill or bailey college as contact hours will be split between the top of the hill and elvet riverside).

Makes my pooling to Mildert all the more better :lol:

Positives: Good Exercise and I'm doing joint honours with Politics so they were both at opposite ends anyway :tongue:

Is this new building just for economics?!
Makes my pooling to Mildert all the more better :lol:

Positives: Good Exercise and I'm doing joint honours with Politics so they were both at opposite ends anyway :tongue:

Is this new building just for economics?!

The new economics building is near to where the politics tutorials are :smile:

It's for all the business school courses taught in Durham, so:

undergraduate economics tutorials
postgraduate economics, business and accounting & finance degrees
MBAs
Original post by SebCross
Hi, This seems to be a question and answer session predominantly about Law, but I had a more general question. Which college would you say is most open to applications from mature students? I'm a 23 year old History student who's looking to progress back onto full-time degree study after a couple of years out travelling and working, and then an unfortunate period of illness. I've recently completed a Foundation Certificate in History and so am hoping that this would be viewed favourably alongside my A-levels.

I'd appreciate any feedback you could give.
Many thanks,

Sebastian

Hi,

The department, not college, decides whether to give you an offer or not. So it doesn't matter which college you apply to, whether you get an offer or are rejected is determined solely by the history department.

College wise, all colleges are open to applications from mature students. Cuth's used to be the college that most mature students applied to because historically it's been the college for people who don't want to live in college, but now you can apply to any college and live out (or live in college if you want to). Not all colleges have family accommodation though so if you need family accommodation you should check the college pages of the university website to see which college offers what (though I would guess that it would be much cheaper to rent a family house in Gilesgate or one of the neighbouring villages rather than living in college accommodation).
Reply 4037
biology unit 3 questionsss
Hi,

The department, not college, decides whether to give you an offer or not. So it doesn't matter which college you apply to, whether you get an offer or are rejected is determined solely by the history department.

College wise, all colleges are open to applications from mature students. Cuth's used to be the college that most mature students applied to because historically it's been the college for people who don't want to live in college, but now you can apply to any college and live out (or live in college if you want to). Not all colleges have family accommodation though so if you need family accommodation you should check the college pages of the university website to see which college offers what (though I would guess that it would be much cheaper to rent a family house in Gilesgate or one of the neighbouring villages rather than living in college accommodation).

Thanks for this. You've been very helpful.
The new economics building is near to where the politics tutorials are :smile:

It's for all the business school courses taught in Durham, so:

undergraduate economics tutorials
postgraduate economics, business and accounting & finance degrees
MBAs

I gathered :tongue: seeing as it's near Aidan's

Oh I see! But lectures will still be based in Elvet right? Also, was wondering aren't tutorials just the same as seminars at other universities, if not how exactly are they different?

Also, does every department have a library or do you just go to your erm... college library for this stuff?

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest