Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5680
Original post by EdmundBlackadder
What is the food like at Durham, especially St John's? Could anyone give a sort of menu thing so I get an idea of what's on offer?

Post above is a good guide, few nuances at John's though because it's an independent college:

Breakfast in the week is strictly 8:00 - 9:00. Lunch is 11:45 - 13:30. Dinner is 17:45 - 19:30 most nights, though starts and ends earlier (17:00 - 18:30) sometimes due to Formals/Communion.

On weekends, Breakfast starts at 8:00 (8:30 on Sundays) and runs through until 10:00. Brunch is from 10:00 - 13:00. Dinner from 17:00 - 18:15.

At breakfast there's a pretty good selection: a variety of cereals, toast (though the toaster is quite honestly the worst one in existence), yoghurt, fruit. There's also stuff like bacon/sausage/beans and a couple of times a week there are pancakes, waffles and croissants.

Lunch is decent, there are sandwiches or hot meals, always with a vegetarian option and plenty of salad should you want it. You can order a packed lunch the night before if you can't make it and they tend to be alright!

At dinner there are usually 4 hot meals, 2 of which are Vegetarian. Typical ones include chili con carne, beef madras, lasagne etc.

As for drinks, there are a couple of water dispensers and that's pretty much it, squash is served only during brunch on weekends.

As an independent college we probably do get slightly better food than other colleges, but I doubt it's too different tbh :smile:. One thing, make sure you like potatoes.

I haven't been able to find a menu online, I'll see if I can snap a picture of the one in college later.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Thank you!

It all sounds lovely. Do you have to pay for a meal if you skip one? or is it a pay-as-you-go system?

I'm not at St Johns but I've attached a menu which is probably pretty similar to what they offer.

Meals are included alongside the accomodation cost so you pay up front, I haven't bothered to work out how much it end up costing per meal but I know its a lot cheaper than buying individual meal tickets which you can do if you don't live in.
Thank you!

It all sounds lovely. Do you have to pay for a meal if you skip one? or is it a pay-as-you-go system?

Unless any other college works really differently - nope :smile: It's all included and you usually just have to show a keyfob or similar - just a keyring or card that has a picture of you on that shows you currently live in the college so are entitled to food. So the cost is just included in the residence charges.

If you miss a meal you just miss a meal. You can book a late meal, but if you completely miss one you wont get a refund you'll just miss out, but you also wont be charged any extra.
Original post by NJam

Original post by RumpeIstiltskin

Original post by pianofluteftw

Thanks for all the info. The food looks miles better quality than I expected :smile:

I just have to make sure I wake up in time for breakfast (a struggle).
Reply 5684
Thanks for all the info. The food looks miles better quality than I expected :smile:

I just have to make sure I wake up in time for breakfast (a struggle).

Haha, since you're doing English (and judging from English students I know) that probably won't happen too often! Unless you're a rower :P
Can anyone give me a bit of information about the nightlife at stepehnson college, it seems reasonably dull to be frank
Hey no problem :smile: If you have any more questions please ask :smile: I'm on the staff student consultative committee and am a tour guide for freshers so know quite a bit about how especially the Physics dept. operates, but am also really good friends with people who do NatSci (Physics and Maths).

I thought I'd ask - which Philosophy module are you thinking of taking? (If you know already). I did the History and Philosophy of Science in my first year which was really interesting and a really nice break from pure science! I would warn you though, taking the Maths and Physics route (as joint honours) restricts your options for modules in later years, if you have a particular interest in philosophy you can still take those modules but you'll most like graduate with a generic Natural Sciences degree rather than a joint honours Maths and Physics degree (for which you need to have taken certain modules).

I also looked at Warwick - I know it's a personal choice but I much preferred Durham. I didn't want to go to a campus university, and I love Durham as it's such a small city with the university really integrated into it.

Sorry for not replying sooner, thanks for that. I'm not sure yet on the Philosophy module. I have to decide within the bext day on Durham or Wawrick. Im just worrying about living costs. Because overall including loans and grants I will get a maximum of about £7000. Durham say that average living expenditure is £10000. I am worried this is insufficient, especially as I will have no over help financially. Any information would be much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RATKING
Sorry for not replying sooner, thanks for that. I'm not sure yet on the Philosophy module. I have to decide within the bext day on Durham or Wawrick. Im just worrying about living costs. Because overall including loans and grants I will get a maximum of about £7000. Durham say that average living expenditure is £10000. I am worried this is insufficient, especially as I will have no over help financially. Any information would be much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I really wouldn't say Durham would be more expensive to live in than Warwick/Coventry/Leamington Spa. College accommodation can be ridiculously expensive, yes, but in subsequent years when living out you can get relative bargains in areas such as Gilesgate. For example, I lived in an ex-council terraced house, quite spacious and well built, with two other people for £39.50 pppw. Yes, it's not the Viaduct or Elvet or even quite Claypath, and many of the students who live there are postgraduates (which, as someone in their mid 20s, wasn't a bad thing for me), wasn't the most desirable area, and does mean walking up Gilesgate bank at the end of the day, but at that price you can't really argue.

Even in areas such as Neville Cross £50 a week is common.

There is always financial support should you get into financial difficulty whatever university you attend. Emergency Loans, Access to Learning and so on.
Original post by RATKING

Posted from TSR Mobile

Basically what he ^^^ said :smile:

You can live cheaply in Durham. College is expensive but that's only for a year (plus they can help with that if you really need it). Living out is actually fairly cheap if you don't live in the town centre. I live about 25 mins walk away from lectures, and each year have paid a maximum of £75 a week including rent, all bills and food.

Also your loan is £7000, is that for a year or for your whole degree? The minimum loan is £3,100 roughly per year.

(Also from what I've heard living in Warwick can be more expensive than some places as if you live out of university accomodation most people will then get a bus back to the campus which soon adds up).
(edited 9 years ago)
Thanks for the help and the above post but I have declined the durham offer.
Thanks again though!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hello :smile:

I'm sure you can guess by my username but I'm french and got an offer from Durham (natural sciences), which I firmed. Unfortunetly it looks as if I won't be able to get a maintenance loan this year but could get one next year... Do you think that if I explain this I will be able to deffer my entry to 2015 (I can't affor going without the loan) ? I need to call tomorrow but would really appreciate any advice !

I also had a good look on their website for all the financial help I could get, is it all listed on it or if I call and explain will they be able to help me out a bit more ? (This does make it sound as if I'm trying to make the most of them, but I just wan't to make plans for next year - I have thought several up - and want to start getting organized ! I'm feeling really discouraged at the moment because of this... I just feel as if I'm letting it all slip by. I really really want to go to Durham but if I can't because of money I'll accept it. I just want to know and move on !!)

Thanks for your help :smile:
Original post by french mouse
Hello :smile:

I'm sure you can guess by my username but I'm french and got an offer from Durham (natural sciences), which I firmed. Unfortunetly it looks as if I won't be able to get a maintenance loan this year but could get one next year... Do you think that if I explain this I will be able to deffer my entry to 2015 (I can't affor going without the loan) ? I need to call tomorrow but would really appreciate any advice !

I also had a good look on their website for all the financial help I could get, is it all listed on it or if I call and explain will they be able to help me out a bit more ? (This does make it sound as if I'm trying to make the most of them, but I just wan't to make plans for next year - I have thought several up - and want to start getting organized ! I'm feeling really discouraged at the moment because of this... I just feel as if I'm letting it all slip by. I really really want to go to Durham but if I can't because of money I'll accept it. I just want to know and move on !!)

Thanks for your help :smile:

You should certainly get in touch with them and ask. Financial reasons are a good reason to defer. You should speak to someone in student services about the chances of support. It's what they're there for and it won't affect your offer for this year.
Original post by KayteeKaytee
You should certainly get in touch with them and ask. Financial reasons are a good reason to defer. You should speak to someone in student services about the chances of support. It's what they're there for and it won't affect your offer for this year.

Thank you so much for answering ! It's made me feel much better :smile: I'll come back when I called... I guess even if they can't defer I can still re-apply next year :biggrin:
How difficult is it to get into st chads?Also, do most people interview or not? (I'm looking to do a bsc in archaeology)

Thanks!😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by elizabeth73
How difficult is it to get into st chads?Also, do most people interview or not? (I'm looking to do a bsc in archaeology)

Thanks!������

Posted from TSR Mobile

St Chads is one of the most oversuscribed colleges so it's definitly not the easiest to get in ! However I applied and got in, ad I don't think I've got anything special... I think what helped was that I got my offer mid-january so before college allocation. In my PS I also mentioned EC (mostly how serious I was about theatre and I also weaved in music and dance to explain my interst in science :biggrin:) and apparently that's a good thing for Durham because colleges want to see how much you'll get involved in college life (don't over do it though as it's better to talk about why you want to do the subject you're applying for).

I think there is also a bit of luck comming in as they want the college "population" to be even so will depend how many girls they already have etc. But I definitly think St Chads is a great choice ! ^^

As for interviews, have a look here : https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/interviews/

(I'm not a Durham student but I thought I could still help... Hope that's ok !)
Original post by french mouse
St Chads is one of the most oversuscribed colleges so it's definitly not the easiest to get in ! However I applied and got in, ad I don't think I've got anything special... I think what helped was that I got my offer mid-january so before college allocation. In my PS I also mentioned EC (mostly how serious I was about theatre and I also weaved in music and dance to explain my interst in science :biggrin:) and apparently that's a good thing for Durham because colleges want to see how much you'll get involved in college life (don't over do it though as it's better to talk about why you want to do the subject you're applying for).

I think there is also a bit of luck comming in as they want the college "population" to be even so will depend how many girls they already have etc. But I definitly think St Chads is a great choice ! ^^

As for interviews, have a look here : https://www.dur.ac.uk/undergraduate/apply/interviews/

(I'm not a Durham student but I thought I could still help... Hope that's ok !)

That's so helpful, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

As previously mentioned, Chad's is very oversubscribed but you can always try because you might be lucky. I should mention, in case you're not aware, the college you apply to (popular or not) makes absolutely no difference to your chances of getting an offer on the course you applied to. If your department makes you an offer, you are guaranteed a place in a college although it might not be the one you applied to.

Most course don't interview at Durham although some do - the website should tell you whether your course does. Some courses will interview some types of candidate such as mature students etc.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KayteeKaytee
As previously mentioned, Chad's is very oversubscribed but you can always try because you might be lucky. I should mention, in case you're not aware, the college you apply to (popular or not) makes absolutely no difference to your chances of getting an offer on the course you applied to. If your department makes you an offer, you are guaranteed a place in a college although it might not be the one you applied to.

Most course don't interview at Durham although some do - the website should tell you whether your course does. Some courses will interview some types of candidate such as mature students etc.

Thanks, I'll check out the Durham website

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi,

Chad's is oversubscribed, but contrary to what was said previously your personal statement will no longer make any difference to college allocation. Before now, the senior staff at the college could accept and reject applications as they got to be part of the admissions process once you had your offer (which comes from the department). However now they don't have that power - college allocation is done on a sort of best fit arrangement to try and keep the colleges diverse (subject wise and extracurricular wise) and as it seemed more fair for applications to oversubscribed colleges.

See here for more details:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges.board/allocations/details/

So in summary, your personal statement will make a difference to whether or not you get an offer (your department sets your offer) and from that you are guaranteed a place at a college, whether or not it's your college of preference is now no longer down to the colleges themselves, it's down to a random best fit algorithm sorting process.
(edited 9 years ago)
Hi,

Chad's is oversubscribed, but contrary to what was said previously your personal statement will no longer make any difference to college allocation. Before now, the senior staff at the college could accept and reject applications as they got to be part of the admissions process once you had your offer (which comes from the department). However now they don't have that power - college allocation is done on a sort of best fit arrangement to try and keep the colleges diverse (subject wise and extracurricular wise) and as it seemed more fair for applications to oversubscribed colleges.

See here for more details:

https://www.dur.ac.uk/colleges.board/allocations/details/

So in summary, your personal statement will make a difference to whether or not you get an offer (your department sets your offer) and from that you are guaranteed a place at a college, whether or not it's your college of preference is now no longer down to the colleges themselves, it's down to a random best fit algorithm sorting process.

Oh, I had no idea about that (and am now considering myself even luckier ^^) ! But if they still want college life to be diverse exracurricular wise, don't they need to read the PS ? Sorry, I'm not doubting what you said, just trying to understand :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest