Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free to post

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on
Take our short survey, £100 of Amazon vouchers to be won! 23-09-2016

ReputationRep:
    I miss those wonka chocolate bars with exploding candy in them

ReputationRep:
    Boost bars are godly for late-night essay writing.

ReputationRep:
    if i choose a college now on my ucas.
    but then wish id chosen another
    or hate where i am at when i get there
    can i change colleges?

ReputationRep:
    First of all, great name!

It's highly unlikely that you'll hate your college, so many people at the start of each year wish they'd chosen a different college, but as soon as they forge friendships they're glad they've been put where they are.

You'd need a very very good reason to be able to switch colleges, it almost never happens, but it is possible.

ReputationRep:
    Where is the nearest place to Parson's Field to buy Krispie Kremes?
    The specific brand is essential if some of my friends are to come and visit me, though I'm not personally so bothered.

ReputationRep:
    What are Krispie Kremes? Some kind of biscuit?

ReputationRep:
    oh doughnuts, sorry I forgot to say that.

ReputationRep:
    Well if they're a particularly well known brand, I'd say Waitrose or Tescos. Waitrose is about a 15 minute walk from Parsons Field, while Tescos is a little further away, but is a much much bigger supermarket....it's an uber-hypermarket !

ReputationRep:
    Are there any bins in Mildert rooms? I've totally forgotten since I visited!

ReputationRep:
    Yes each room gets a small bin which is emptied on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. If you don't want cleaners to wake you up on these mornings, you leave the bin outside your room the night before .

ReputationRep:
    :O

WHERE shall i goooooooo

ReputationRep:
    Read the prospectus (and the threads on here), and make a decision based on where you think you'd fit in best!

ReputationRep:
    If you really can't decide, you can always do an open app.

ReputationRep:
    Open applications can sometimes be a good thing for people who really don't have a clue, but I'd rather apply to a college where I know I'd be happy and have a decent chance of getting into, than get put into a college which I know I wouldn't have chosen in the first place.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, yeah. It seems like a lot of people on here have done open apps and are pretty happy with where they ended up, but I guess if you're really torn between two you would be better off flipping a coin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastGrape)
    oh doughnuts, sorry I forgot to say that.
    There is a mini doughnut stall that sits in Market Square (the centre of town) each weekend as part of the outdoor market. I've never been to it (as the smell from it puts me off) but people keep telling me they're gorgeous!

ReputationRep:
    I put in an open application and I'm really happy with Van Mildert. Maybe that'll all change when I get there though

ReputationRep:
    Apparently when I choose my college for moving up to Durham City after foundation, I can specify back-up choices. I am very grateful for this, but of course now I'm already pondering over which to put.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by archaeologygirl)
    Apparently when I choose my college for moving up to Durham City after foundation, I can specify back-up choices. I am very grateful for this, but of course now I'm already pondering over which to put.
    That's cool, never knew they did that! I think they should allow people to put back ups anyway, it's a good way of making sure people get where they want to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LastGrape)
    Where is the nearest place to Parson's Field to buy Krispie Kremes?
    The specific brand is essential if some of my friends are to come and visit me, though I'm not personally so bothered.
    i dont think you can buy krispy kremes in the north... i vaguely seem to recall them being available somewhere in newcastle but i could equally be thinking of something else... such as creme de la mer face cream. which i think i am. so no. no krispy kremes. my apologies on behalf of the north.

Write a reply…

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 29, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Who will be the next permanent England boss?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.