The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

The "Ask a Durham Student" Thread :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LouiseHuang
Hi everyone. Just wanna ask if I chose Durham as my insurance, when should I start doing anything about accommodation?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Even if you firm Durham accommodation isn't sorted out until after results day, so you don't have to do anything! The only time you'd have to do anything is if you don't get into your firm, then you'd go through the same process as all confirmed students at Durham for the new year :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Original post by pianofluteftw
Even if you firm Durham accommodation isn't sorted out until after results day, so you don't have to do anything! The only time you'd have to do anything is if you don't get into your firm, then you'd go through the same process as all confirmed students at Durham for the new year :smile:

So I don't have to send any application for accommodation like in UCL before the result day?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LouiseHuang
So I don't have to send any application for accommodation like in UCL before the result day?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope, nothing at all. There is a possibility that you may not be at the college you have been given currently if you end up going there (I know they try to accommodate as many as possible, but they'll need to balance things out between the colleges), so that too would affect accommodation - but it does mean that you'll be on the same playing field as everyone else, whether firm or insurance.
Original post by clonedmemories
Nope, nothing at all. There is a possibility that you may not be at the college you have been given currently if you end up going there (I know they try to accommodate as many as possible, but they'll need to balance things out between the colleges), so that too would affect accommodation - but it does mean that you'll be on the same playing field as everyone else, whether firm or insurance.

Thank you very much. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was hoping someone could tell me how to look for on campus employment. Can I or should I start looking before term starts? Where should I look?
Original post by oliviamalona
I was hoping someone could tell me how to look for on campus employment. Can I or should I start looking before term starts? Where should I look?

Durham's career service sends out a regular email with a variety of job vacancies, which you'll start getting once you enrol. There will also be jobs you can get working at college (usually in the bar), which are advertised through college itself. I'm not sure if there's anything else you can do prior to starting, but there's definitely opportunities once you're here to do so :smile:
Thanks! That's perfect!
Reply 6227
Hey. I am still struggling to choose between Durham and UCL for Computer Science. Could anyone on here give me some help with this please? Thanks
Original post by Fe27
Hey. I am still struggling to choose between Durham and UCL for Computer Science. Could anyone on here give me some help with this please? Thanks

Are you postgrad or undergrad?
Reply 6229
Are you postgrad or undergrad?

Hi there - undergrad
Hey!

So, because you're on this thread, I'm sure we'll all be pro-Durham, but I'll try to give you an objective opinion :biggrin:

I am a history student so I had to lookup the computer science stats.... "the complete university guide" lists durham's program as better than UCL's, but the QS world rankings list UCL at #25 and US News world rankings list it at #33 (and Durham doesn't make the list, so you might have an answer there as far as the program (I hate to say), here are those links if you'd like to check out the rankings yourself:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/computer-science-information-systems#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?region=europe&country=united-kingdom&subject=computer-science&name=

That being said, I know that Durham has a great reputation for having some of the highest rates of student employment (after graduation) in the world, so they may have a better employment support system.

Also, I think one of the most important things to think about is location. If these programs were evenly matched, what are your location preferences? I turned down King's College London and University of London Birbeck because I didn't want to be forced to spend every day in a packed and bustling city. If you want to be in the city, then your decision will be an easy one. If you like more open space then you'd like Durham. There is plenty to do in Durham but it is much less chaotic than London, and there is plenty of open space and greenery, along with lovely historical surroundings, and a very active student community.

That's about all I have to offer. Hopefully someone that knows a little more about the computer science program will jump in, too!
Reply 6231
Hey!

So, because you're on this thread, I'm sure we'll all be pro-Durham, but I'll try to give you an objective opinion :biggrin:

I am a history student so I had to lookup the computer science stats.... "the complete university guide" lists durham's program as better than UCL's, but the QS world rankings list UCL at #25 and US News world rankings list it at #33 (and Durham doesn't make the list, so you might have an answer there as far as the program (I hate to say), here are those links if you'd like to check out the rankings yourself:

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/university-subject-rankings/2014/computer-science-information-systems#sorting=rank+region=+country=208+faculty=+stars=false+search=

http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=computer%20science

http://www.usnews.com/education/best-global-universities/search?region=europe&country=united-kingdom&subject=computer-science&name=

That being said, I know that Durham has a great reputation for having some of the highest rates of student employment (after graduation) in the world, so they may have a better employment support system.

Also, I think one of the most important things to think about is location. If these programs were evenly matched, what are your location preferences? I turned down King's College London and University of London Birbeck because I didn't want to be forced to spend every day in a packed and bustling city. If you want to be in the city, then your decision will be an easy one. If you like more open space then you'd like Durham. There is plenty to do in Durham but it is much less chaotic than London, and there is plenty of open space and greenery, along with lovely historical surroundings, and a very active student community.

That's about all I have to offer. Hopefully someone that knows a little more about the computer science program will jump in, too!

Thanks so much for that. I am also looking at starting salaries and UCL in coming out higher for that (around 9K more). Are starting salaries something that should be looked at when choosing? Also, does course accreditation actually mean anything important because Durham's course is currently waiting for their accreditation. Is this something that I should be wary of?

Thanks again :smile:
Original post by Fe27
Thanks so much for that. I am also looking at starting salaries and UCL in coming out higher for that (around 9K more). Are starting salaries something that should be looked at when choosing? Also, does course accreditation actually mean anything important because Durham's course is currently waiting for their accreditation. Is this something that I should be wary of?

UCL will be higher because most people stay in London, whereas Durham graduates go all over. Personally I don't think you should be considering average starting salaries at all. Focus on the course.

Can't help you on the accreditation.
Original post by Fe27

As someone answered before me, I wouldn't put TOO MUCH stock in that. If for some reason that is crazy important I'd worry about that, but as the other student said, it is probably more likely that people from UCL stay in that area where salaries are bound to be higher because cost of living is higher. I also can't help you with the accreditation. I am from the US so I'm not sure how high school works over there, but if you have an adviser or counselor at school I would ask them.

There's a good chance you've already read this but I found what is seemingly a good page about the difference between accredited and non-accredited programs that you might find helpful, it's from another uni but there is some good info in it....

http://www.cs.gwu.edu/abet/faq.html
Hey, I'm having a little difficulty deciding which college to apply for. I'm stuck between St. Cuths, Collingwood, Ustinov,and St. Aiden. This is all very new to me. Any guidance is appreciated! Suggestions for other colleges are helpful as well.

I'm a postgrad doing MSc Management (Int. Business). I'm a female, 25 years old, and from Los Angeles. I'm highly dedicated to my studies, but I'm also very active in sports/gym and social events.

Thanks!
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey! I'm also a pg student from the US - I'm 24, living in Cleveland and I'm going for my MA in Medieval and Early Modern Studies....

I would check out these threads, especially the last few pages of each:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2583402&page=66&p=55141907#post55141907

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3077929&page=24&p=55099533#post55099533

I asked a ton of questions (I'm betting we have a lot of the same ones) and got some great answers.

I ended up choosing St. Cuth's because of their location, ensuite housing for postgrads, optional meal plan, and really active student community. I ruled out Collingwood because there were is no ensuite housing, I ruled out Ustinov because I'd like some kind of meal plan (you can only work
20 hours on a student visa and I don't want to be stressed about not having the $$ to eat), and St. Aiden's was my second choice.

It really depends a lot on if you are living on campus, if you want/need ensuite, if you'd like a meal plan or self catered, what location is important to you, etc.
Hey.

I'm a future pg finance student from Switzerland. I will propably live in the catered St. Mary's college..
Now I'm a little bit worried about the food there.. Can a current student tell me,
if the offered food is healthy and if we have the possibility to choose between different meals?

Thx
What's the drinking culture at Durham like? Particularly during Freshers?
Original post by Laniday

Normal. Lots of people drink a lot, particularly during Freshers, and go out every night.

Lots of people drink a little and go out occasionally.

Some people never drink and go out occasionally.

Some people never drink and never go out.

Like anywhere, it depends. If you want to go hard and drink a lot you'll find people to do that with, but you won't be alone if you're not a big drinker.
Original post by bananathug
Hey, I'm having a little difficulty deciding which college to apply for. I'm stuck between St. Cuths, Collingwood, Ustinov,and St. Aiden.

As the other person has commented, just look at the facilities available and choose from there. Tbh you'll almost certainly be happy wherever you end up - each college is very friendly and has a good community and good activities/ facilities! I'd literally pick based on what kind of room you want/ catering options, as everything else is fairly similar! I mean, Cuths is closer to town and is older (more traditional), Collingwood is very big but has lots of good stuff going on (theatre and so forth), Ustinov is really nice even if it's a bit further away and is only for postgrads (so everyone is a little older, doing a masters or PhD) so has a slightly different character and probably one of the nicest college bars, and Aidan's has lots going on, great community feel and a great view! No one on here can really sum up what a college is going to be like but trust me, pretty much everyone loves the college system and wherever they end up!

Also because you're a post grad, check where the post grad accomodation for your college actually is! I know some people have been disappointed when they realised that it was no where near the actual college/ where they thought it was, because if you look on university maps it will only label the central college facilities. You have to check the actual address of the post grad accomodation to check if it's in the same place!

Original post by Rossonero
Hey.
if the offered food is healthy and if we have the possibility to choose between different meals?

Thx

The great thing about the catered food is there is a lot of choice.
Weekday breakfasts have some hot options (including egg, beans and sausages/bacon and vegetarian equivalent) and also toast, cereal, fruit, yoghurt. At the weekends Brunch then includes all the above plus the option of a full english breakfast, pastries, and normal lunch stuff like salad and sandwiches.
Lunches normally includes 4 different hot options, 2 vegetarian, and you help yourself to carbohydrates and vegetables (usually at least 2/3 veg to choose from). There is also a really nice salad bar, plus pre made sandwiches (lots of options) or a 'deli' option where you can make your own having chosen your bread and filling. For lunchtimes when you wont be in college you can also order a packed lunch which includes sandwich/ fruit/ crisps/ yoghurt etc.
Dinners again have 4 hot options, 2 of which are always vegetarian, plus the same self service of carbs/ veg/ salad and a choice between a normal pudding or fruit and yoghurt.

So lots of choice, each meal is also 'colour' coded with nutritional information so you can make an informed choice, plus there's loads of veg/ salad/ fruit on offer so it's very healthy if you want it to be! I had to be careful as I wasn't used to having so much food available, but I managed to stay healthy. Even the rowing teams who have really strict diets manage so you should be fine!

Original post by Laniday

Much the same as anywhere else really. Some people go out and get really drunk every night in freshers, other people never go out and stay in (colleges have to provide alternative evening activities to going out clubbing during freshers, so there are often film nights, karaoke, viedo games, pool, table tennis etc. on offer). Even after freshers it's the same - there are a number of people who go out clubbing as often as they can, but there are also people who don't go out really - you'll very quickly find friends with a similar taste to you, in part because the collegiate system means you get to know people really quickly and there's no pressure to do anything you don't want to do! (At some unis, people feel they have to go out because otherwise they wont make friends which is definitely not the case here :smile:)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest