The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Cant see any reason why not!! If you dont have a chance then i have no idea who would. You have strong academic credentials, and by the looks of it some good experiences to mention in your personal statement.

Have a go at your personal statement and post it in the PS helper forum - one of us will review it for you and give you help to improve it if necessary. Other than that i dont see what other advice you're likely to need?
Reply 2
everything seem amazing and your probably more than prepared for a medicine degree. other aplican'ts may have a few more a* at GCSE's but as long as your Predicted AAA/a they wont really care much.

as the above post said you just gotta concentrate on your PS and make sure thats amazing too. :wink:
Reply 3
Try asking folks on the "Am I good enough..." thread in the Medicine forum; they tend to know what they're talking about! The length of your voluntary work is impressive, although other people might have more work experience than you - just make sure you're reflective and can say what you got out of it in your PS and at interview (it's quality over quantity after all, and they'll realise how difficult it can be to get.)

I've always thought Edinburgh is a tough one because they like applicants to be very strong both academically and non-academically. I'm not an admissions tutor so I can't say what your chances are, but for Edinburgh I'd say a fair few applicants would have more A*s than you; however if you have outstanding non-academic achievements that would probably make up for it. Nottingham say they like long-term work in a caring capacity; your SJA work would probably come under that :smile: Have you taken the UKCAT yet? For academic stuff, they place most emphasis on GCSEs and UKCAT score rather than A-Level predictions or (so I've heard) AS grades. I don't know much about Liverpool or Glasgow, sorry!

As I said, I can't tell you what your chances are but your grades are good and so is your voluntary work, so that should stand you in good stead. Good luck :smile:
I think you'll be fine. So long as you havent messed up that UKCAT. Oh and theres a rumour going round that Glasgow interview all their applicants who meet their academic criteria.
Reply 5
goldenGAZE
everything seem amazing and your probably more than prepared for a medicine degree. other aplican'ts may have a few more a* at GCSE's but as long as your Predicted AAA/a they wont really care much.

as the above post said you just gotta concentrate on your PS and make sure thats amazing too. :wink:

Most unis don't care about your gcses as long as they are of a wide range and average about Aish...apart from all the hadr ones to get into like oxbridge and stuff. They expect way more.

ANd you're fine, if you don't have a chance, then no one does.
Reply 6
graemematt
I think you'll be fine. So long as you havent messed up that UKCAT. Oh and theres a rumour going round that Glasgow interview all their applicants who meet their academic criteria.

In glasgow, will all the Scottish people who go there be about 17? or do scottish applicants have to do an extra year because they finish school a year earlier than enlgish students? :confused:
34 person
In glasgow, will all the Scottish people who go there be about 17? or do scottish applicants have to do an extra year because they finish school a year earlier than enlgish students? :confused:

Well no...in Scotland, you can leave school to go to university after 5th year (uh, I think thats year 12 in England??) with Scottish Highers. However, medical schools in Scotland strongly discourage applicants to medicine leaving after 5th year, so essentially candidates have to do their 6th year also and do Advanced Highers (I.e. year 13 in England) so they end up being 18 generally.

Infact, Im sure theres a minimum age bar set at 17.5 years old on joining. I applied through UCAS when I was 15 years old not realising this all those years ago, so they didnt approve. Well...that, and my grades werent even nearly close to the entry requirements, hehe :smile:
34 person
Most unis don't care about your gcses as long as they are of a wide range and average about Aish...apart from all the hadr ones to get into like oxbridge and stuff. They expect way more.

ANd you're fine, if you don't have a chance, then no one does.

Birmingham care about your GCSEs. They want a minimum of 7 A*s I believe?? But people in Birmingham don't have souls :biggrin:
Reply 9
graemematt
Well no...in Scotland, you can leave school to go to university after 5th year (uh, I think thats year 12 in England??) with Scottish Highers. However, medical schools in Scotland strongly discourage applicants to medicine leaving after 5th year, so essentially candidates have to do their 6th year also and do Advanced Highers (I.e. year 13 in England) so they end up being 18 generally.

Infact, Im sure theres a minimum age bar set at 17.5 years old on joining. I applied through UCAS when I was 15 years old not realising this all those years ago, so they didnt approve. Well...that, and my grades werent even nearly close to the entry requirements, hehe :smile:

Oh yay this is good, I can apply to Glasgow now :biggrin: Me happy.
34 person
Oh yay this is good, I can apply to Glasgow now :biggrin: Me happy.

Glasgow = fun, I'd urge you to apply for a great student life :smile:
I would be careful about Edinburgh
someone on NMM got rejected with 6A*'s and got feedback and they said his academic, not his non-academic side let him down as the top 1/3 of their applicants have 8A*'s + but if you're confident go for it.
Guys, guys guys...this is definately a medicine angst suitable thread, if in future one comes up, just post report and ask a mod nicely to move to the angst sticky :smile:
Reply 13
hi
im applying for 2009 entry and wud like to know 3 things
are my gcse's good enough? how do u calculate ur scoer in the Bmat and lastly what do i need at the end of AS to still be able to apply to the best uni's (excluding oxford cambridge and imperial)and still be in with a good chance of being offerd a place e.g. UCL Kings e.t.c

Thanks!!
i agree, this is an angst based discussion.... just to add tho. there's not a chance in hell glasgow interview all it's academically capable applicants.......
El-Taji
hi
im applying for 2009 entry and wud like to know 3 things
are my gcse's good enough? how do u calculate ur scoer in the Bmat and lastly what do i need at the end of AS to still be able to apply to the best uni's (excluding oxford cambridge and imperial)and still be in with a good chance of being offerd a place e.g. UCL Kings e.t.c

Thanks!!

oh my word, please stop making identical posts in every thread..... i commented in your other thread......
Your academic record is perfect, so too are your extra-curriculars.

I wish you all the luck, and you will hopefully get at least 1 or 2 offers!!:biggrin:
and you will probably get at least 1 or 2 offers!!

:rolleyes:

How can you say that!
Reply 18
^^ agreed. It's evident that medical offers work in mysterious ways and we cannot predict their decisions! So don't assume.
Meh, just trying to encourage.

I think she has an okay chance though...

Latest

Trending

Trending