The Student Room Group

3 Science Subjects preferred?

Hey,
I've just started A-levels in Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Geography.
Unfortunately Physics isn't going well at all for me! I'm really struggling already and the teachers and students all seem to think it's going to get harder.
I know that for medicine, many universities do require chem and prefer biology, but it's not really made clear by the requirements (assuming I'm not applying to Oxbridge) I've found whether having three science subjects is an advantage.
I was thinking of swapping physics for another academic subject, such as English.
Please let me know what you think, would having two science subjects instead of three be a significant disadvantage?
Reply 1
Definitely not.

Having 2 science subjects is fine for the majority of medical schools. Drop physics!

*I hated it*
Reply 2
Lol, other than the rather academic univerisities, such as Oxbridge, you should be fine. Provided you do chem and bio up to A2 level, i think (others may want to check/confirm this).
It would be better to drop it and do well in the non science subject than keep Physics, knowing you will not do as well.
Lol, other than the rather academic univerisities, such as Oxbridge, you should be fine.

This misconception seems to crop up a lot: Oxford ask for 2 sciences with humanities encouraged for the third; Cambridge is the same except for a very small number of colleges which prefer 3 sciences.
Huw Davies
This misconception seems to crop up a lot: Oxford ask for 2 sciences with humanities encouraged for the third; Cambridge is the same except for a very small number of colleges which prefer 3 sciences.

I swear Cambridge generally prefer 3 sciences? That's the impression I got on the open day...
Reply 5
Quote from Cambridge website:

All Colleges prefer applicants to have two science/mathematics subjects at A level – note that most applicants for Medicine and Veterinary Medicine at Cambridge have at least three science/mathematics A levels. Applicants with two science/mathematics A levels will be expected to have scientific ability comparable with those who are taking three and will, wherever possible, be considered equally with them.

The following Colleges prefer applicants to have three science/mathematics subjects at A level: Christ’s, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John’s, Trinity. In the case of Magdalene, this must include A level Mathematics.

So yeah, unless you're applying to Christ's, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John’s, or Trinity, two sciences are fine, but if given the choice, gun for three.

I'm applying to Magdalene for Medicine; but I do not have the foggiest why they would prefer Maths over say Biology. Anyone?
sunspoon
Quote from Cambridge website:

So yeah, unless you're applying to Christ's, Jesus, Magdalene, Newnham, St John’s, or Trinity, two sciences are fine, but if given the choice, gun for three.

I'm applying to Magdalene for Medicine; but I do not have the foggiest why they would prefer Maths over say Biology. Anyone?

You cover pretty much most of what you'd need from a-level biology in cell biology if you didn't already have it (cell bio lectures take place before main lectures start, for students without a-level bio, and isn't formally assessed). The main lecture courses go well beyond a-level very quickly. Chemistry is really a must-have though.
Reply 7
Thing is, I could probably still do well at physics (as well as the thing I'd swap to) to be perfectly honest.
Just I'm really really not enjoying it. I'd still bear it if it made a difference to me as a prospective med student.
Would a university not give preference to someone with 3 vs. 2 sciences, all other things being equal? (I know that they can't be really equal, but still :wink:)
Thank you for the replies everyone, I really really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 8
If you think it is going to be a problem for you then dont take it! Medical schools will be fine with it and may even prefer the diversity in subejcts. I HATE Physics.
You'll be fine. I had same worries about it too but all they really want is 2 sciences.

I did Bio,Chem,Geog,(Gen Studies). 3 Offers.
It just differs from uni to uni. Some med school actually ask for a non science e.g. Peninsula. Just be careful when applying. Oh and I know also Cardiff, although dont prefer it are happy to accept it i.e. consider it on equal standing. I think its the same for Sheffield as well
Better to do subjects you will succeed in, and get an A in.

In fact, some universities say they prefer there to be contrasting subjects, so they're not too narrow....

:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending