The Student Room Group

Approaching Flatmates

I will be moving in next week most probably or at the best at the end of this week which means that I might actually miss the entire fresher's week at uni this year and will arrive in time when my course offcially starts, due to certain personal problems. I have been feeling quite blue about this as everyone goes on about saying how important fresher's week is and that after its over everyone starts to form groups and its difficult to find people you want to hang out with. I know I will meet the people in my course and socieites all throughout the year but I am actually more worried about the people living in my halls. I am going to be living in catering halls and I was wondering what I should do to approach others living there? Should I go up and knock on people's doors or something and introduce myself personally or does anyone have any idea of how to approach them? I am already hearing of stores of how people have formed groups in halls (other universities) already and the fact that I will be late is making me nervous about the state I will be in when I arrive at my uni:s-smilie:. Please help!!!! :frown:
Reply 1
Get some biscuits, prop your door open, keep your kettle on standby and throw a corridor tea party.:smile: It's slightly less awkward than knocking on doors just to introduce yourself.
Reply 2
I'm not at uni yet but I can imagine that if I knew someone was coming late I'd be excited to show them the ropes and take them under my wing (whether they wanted me to or not, lol!!). Mealtimes should be a great place to meet new people and as for the people on your course, as you said, they won't be any 'ahead' of you as they'll have only met at registration.

Try not to worry too much, good luck :smile:
Reply 3
if you're going later than everyone else make the effort and introduce yourself. dont just wait for people to come up to you
Reply 4
Dont worry about arriving later than everyone else. Just make the effort to introduce yourself to everyone else. Knock on their doors, introduce yourself, say you've just moved in, and just generally chat with people. When you're in your room not doing much or whatever, prop your door open with something (this will make it easier for others on your floor to approach you), and they will notice that you've moved in.

As long as you make the effort to get to know people you'll be fine. But if you arrive, lock yourself in your room thinking "oh no they are all friends already and dont want to know me", then they wont even realise you've arrived, let alone make friends with you. IF you make the effort there'll be no problem making friends etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending