The Student Room Group
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

CLUB/PUB guide. PRICES, LOCATION etc

sorry this took so long,

most places on broad st charge £3.00 - £4.00 a bottle, and around the same for a pint (bottles are V popular with the girles and stuff) :eek:

there are however lots of places where there are uni nights and stuff and places you go to get pissed for as little as £6 !!!!!!! :biggrin:

NOW FOR ADVICE

take it or leave it, but it comes from someone born and bred here and im off to Exeter myself, i live 2 mins dwn the rd from the uni ( between the Golden cross and the hillyfields pub for any1 who knows)

There are plently of places to go for cheap drink but depends on you.

Hurst st in the city centre in famous for all the LGB (lesbian, gay and bi clubs)
this may not take ur fancy but there is a club called DV8, a good night out entry = £6, free drinks ALL NIGHT!! good place to go if u can take someone patting u on the ass who has forearms wider than ure waist, as a compliment a few times. WARNING!! If u look TOO straight and uptight, u will get felt up, BUT if u look TOO gay then it will have the same effect, basicallycalm down! lol

a few of my personal favs

* The soak! - selly oak (SO) (student bar, nice looking ppl in there)
* The Bristol Pear - SO good place to go for an evening chillout)
* O'Niells - Harborne High St (HHS) (bit rowdy , ah its shit actually, but cheap)
* Varsity - HHS nice place local students and ppl who opted to work instead of uni
* the plough - classiest place in harborne and the prices arnt tooo bad :rolleyes:

IN TOWN

broad st u'll see wen u get there, and u prolly heard all the stuff abt it, ( it can get rough out there on fri ,sat nite)

Hurst st, - basically classy, gay and value for money

ROCKERS

There is EDDIE's NUMBER 8 - opposite the mailbox (shopping centre that ul never have enough money to shop in)

SUB CULTURE - at the academy - opposite toys R Us under the bridge

Scruffy Murphie's - live bands etc ft. - HENTAI, UNDER SUSPICION etc ( :biggrin: i went school with those guys and they are damn good )

THE COSTER MONGERS - i hate the place and so will you ..........

9 Bar on broad st on a certain night (CANT REMEMBER WHICH)

hope this helped , it fukin took ages and i know it took u ages to read . :tongue:

If any1 spots anything wrong, can correct me or wants to add stuff, go ahead and plz rate it so that ppl see that this (mite not be the best but..) is useful
Reply 1
As students, most people go out on Broad St, often after having a few drinks in Selly Oak first.

Risa - This is the place to be on a Monday night. Must be a student to get in. Drinks are actually reasonably priced, but it probably still pays to get pissed at uni beforehand!

Bobby Browns - This is my favourite club and on a a Wednesday it's awesome. It's set out in several smallish sized rooms. They've started doing Vodbull nights there too (double V/RB for £1!). Great student atmosphere. The main place to go on a Wednesday.

The Works - Wednesday is also a student night there. This place is one huge room (with a smaller one upstairs). In my opinion, not as good as Bobby's, but it may suit some people more.

Until it got closed down, Zanzibar (not on Broad St, but in the Chinese Quarter) was the place to go on a Thursday for its legendary vodbull nights. Now these nights are being held at various other places around town. There's also clubs like Dome and Polaris, but I don't think these are as good as those above.

Then there are the bars like Reflex, Lloyds, Whetherspoons, Rococo, Revolution, Yates and Flares (70s club! Classic!) where you can go if you're looking for something with a little less student atmosphere. These places are cheaper and have some really good drinks bargains going on. There are other places off Broad St - MedBar is a good one in Digbeth, even if it is a little grungy.

So that's Broad St in a nutshell. I know I haven't mentioned all the places, but these are the ones that I go to, and the ones that most other students go to. As for price, it really does vary. You'll find yourself doing it the cheap way - either by necking a bottle of vodka beforehand, or going to Reflex and getting those £1 pints/bottles during week nights.

Oh, and one last thing. Do not miss the £5 all-you-can-drink night at the Underground in the Guild that they'll put on in the second term. And I do mean all you can drink. I'll never forget that night!

Anyway, hope this helps.
University of Birmingham
University of Birmingham
Birmingham

Latest

Trending

Trending