The Student Room Group

Stuck

Hello,

I'm a little stuck on where i should go for university. I know pretty much everyone is but I am because i'm not sure i'm allowed to apply to the ones that i want to or if my school will let me because of my AS results. I got an ABBCD the D was in general studies and the A in psychology. I intend on carrying on with psychology in univeristy and here is what i have reduced my little list to:

Bristol: AAB -ABB
Warwick: ABBb-BBBb
Loughborough: AAB-ABB
Reading: AAB
Lancaster: ABB
City: ABB
Essex: not sure
Durham: ABB or for applied BBB

I'm so stuck and I really don't know what to do. I'm sorry to bother you but any advice would be greatly appreciated. Do you think I should choose 3 universities that require BBB as back ups and then 3 that are from above. Also, would it be a bad idea to apply for durham twice but different psychology courses. Thanks again and i'm sorry if you guys are getting annoyed of a lot of people panicking about uni choice. :smile:
Reply 1
Whether or not you should choose 3 unis that require BBB as back ups depends on whether you think you will get higher grades at A2 and if you're doing any resits. For durham I don't think it's a good idea to apply twice If you apply for both they probably will reject you for one and possibly give you an offer for the other (most probably give you an offer for the applied course). Therefore just apply for one of them. I think Bristol is unrealistic....lots of people i know who got 4 A's at AS and predicted 3 or 4 A's at A2 got rejected so i think your chances are low.
Reply 2
Thank you very much! Ooo also what subjects did your friends apply for? Was it psychology? If so what unis did they get into?
I'm going to suggest at least having one much lower backup option, and then 4 of those universities. I got AAACD and am applying for;

Exeter
Warwick
Bristol
Nottingham
Bangor

Bangor is a nice backup, ranked 13th by the times for psychology however only asks for 260ish ucas points and wales is a fairly nice place to live (which of 180 have to come from A2 levels).

However work out your AS tarriff points which is;

60 + 50 + 50 + 40 (+30) = 200 - 230 already.

Well that's what I did to make sure that my application was 'safer'.
Reply 4
thanks! Do i have to know welsh though? So would bangor be a good backup for me because i only got one A and 2 Bs? Or would durham queens campus applied psychology be a better back-up?

Do you do psychology by the way? Sorry i'm just a curious person.
No you don't have to know Welsh to go to Bangor. I applied there and I had AAAB at AS

I don't know about the applied course... I think there was some talk on here about its BPS accreditation...
Reply 6
meera18may
Thank you very much! Ooo also what subjects did your friends apply for? Was it psychology? If so what unis did they get into?

I know 4 people who applied to Bristol last year and got rejected. All for psychology one applied for joint honours..psychology with something else and she's going Oxford. The others are going to St Andrews, Durham and Leeds. There were quite a few people on TSR aswell who got rejected.
Reply 7
Wow! You know some brainy people! I think (and i'm not entirely sure yet) i'm going to apply for warwick, and durham applied and my top ones...i think.
visit them... open days give you a real feel for the uni. i fell in love with reading when i visited, and in the end i was choosing between reading and warwick (warwick obviously being the more prestigious). i went with reading in the end as the course and uni seemed so perfect.
so yeah... visit as many as possible before you send your UCAS :smile:
Reply 9
thank you!

Latest