The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Halifax

Just found out evision has been updated and i have been put into Halifax college, I just feel disappointed, I was looking forward to being actually on campus and in the middle of everything not shunted to one side. Is anyone else in Halifax, or can you tell me anything about it which might make me feel better? I wish that it wasn't ten minutes from campus as part of the reason i picked york was that it is a campus university with a nice community feel but i won't get the benefit of that if i'm living a ten minute walk away.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I found out about the same time as you, I think it looks pretty nice there, there's more than 1000 students in the college so apparently there's a good community spirit within the college itself.

I'm sure we'll get to know people through our course who are on the main campus too, so we'll get involved I'm sure :smile:

(I perhaps have an advantage in that my girlfriend is gonna be in Derwent College... incidentally she's -CBee- on here, I don't know how much she posts but there you go!)

See you there :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Just went on e:Vision, and apparently I'm in Halifax. I guess I'm also a little dissapointed about no being right on the campus, but I'm sure it won't br a masive probablem and I'll get used to it. I just read somewhere that its Courts, not corridoors that we live in here. As I never went to visit Halifax during the open days and stuff, I cant visualise what this means. Can anyone shead any light on this, and is it a good thing or a bad thing?

Also, is Halifax a big college compared to the rest? Just interested...
Reply 3
I'm in Halifax, toooo. Well, as I see it, there will still be enough people there, and it's not like it's impossible to walk to campus.

TBH, when you're a student, you're a student whether you're in campus, ten minutes walk away, or in York itself - you'd still get the student lifestyle, I'd imagine.
xo
Reply 4
Plummie
Just found out evision has been updated and i have been put into Halifax college, I just feel disappointed, I was looking forward to being actually on campus and in the middle of everything not shunted to one side. Is anyone else in Halifax, or can you tell me anything about it which might make me feel better? I wish that it wasn't ten minutes from campus as part of the reason i picked york was that it is a campus university with a nice community feel but i won't get the benefit of that if i'm living a ten minute walk away.

Ditto. That's the last one I wanted to get.
Reply 5
Have any fellow Halifaxers (if that's the right word...) got any info through the post this morning? I'm at work at the moment and I'm intrigued...
Reply 6
No, I got nothing throught this morning.
Reply 7
Nope, I haven't, either. The only reason I know is becuase I checked e:Vision
Reply 8
Oh, and you know it says that it is houses that are split into Courts? How many people live in one house? is it just a few, or quite a lot?
Reply 9
In most of the houses there are 10 people i think, some have more. I was in a house of 12 (Lindley Court, House G - the best house some say). I'm not sure about St Lawrence though, that court is older and bigger, but prob again has about 10 in each house.

The courts are arranged with houses around a courtyard. I loved it. And you'll be near the playgroud, and Heslington for "possible the best sandwiches in the world". You've got your own little costcutters as well - what more do you need?

No but seriously, i bloody loved Halifax. If i had to live on campus again, i'd choose Halifax - no contest. I was friends with practically everyone in my court - there was only one house that seemed to be full of really unsociable people that i never really got to know. So that was about 10 houses that i'd regularly be in. We also had the best bbqs in the summer in our gardens.

I'm just about to go into my 4th year, so loads of my friends that i knew from the fax have left now. So at the end of last year we had a "lindley court reunion" where we took over the courtyard one saturday afternoon and ate ice lollys and drank. It was great fun, lots of people came.. i swear the current residents thought we were mad though...

Of course i knew loads of peeps from other courts too.. just in case you thought it was really cliquey. I loved it. And i think you'll find that the majority of people who lived there loved it to, it's just those people who lived right on capus who don't understand how cool it is to be a Halifaxer.

Oh and personally, i quite enjoyed the walk to lectures (it's 10 minutes max i would say), as it meant that i'd turn up to lectures awake.. rather than having just fallen out of bed like some people.

I'll see if i can find a picture of one of the courts....

http://www.halifaxcollege.com/album_page.php?pic_id=27

That's one side of Lindley Court (3 houses), there are 3 other houses opposite, and a couple behind the camera. My room was the 4th window from the right in the roof. Aw i miss it even now...
Reply 10
Heh, well youve made me fell better about going to Halifax. Not that I was upset of course, its a great relief to finally know where Im gonna be staying. But Like I said origionaly, I was a bit dissappointed.
Reply 11
Thanks for all the replies guys, you never know we could all be living with each other in a couple of weeks :smile: I'm feeling a lot better about being in Halifax now, I'm sure it will be great to have our own mini community and if we can barbecue it's even better. Does anyone know how many people there are to each bathroom though and also if toilets and things are seperate or all in one big room?
Reply 12
I'm pretty sure that all rooms have their own sink in, but i' m sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong. In my house there was 1 toilet downstairs, and 2 on the middle floor - obviously the toilets had small hand basins. The shower room was on the middle floor and there was a bath on the top floor - next to my bedroom actually, and only really ever used by me. All of these rooms were separate. So in my house there were 12 people sharing one shower and one bath. Sounds like a lot, but because the rooms are separate you never really had to wait long.

The only slight issue i had was that because i was on the top floor, if i was waiting to use the shower i had to be mighty quick down the stairs once i'd heard the door open otherwise sometimes someone from the middle floor would jump in before me. But you get used to it.
Hey guys. Just found out on evision I'm in Halifax too. I'm quite looking forward to it, and the post above about the BBQ's sound fun too. Let's make the best of it! :smile: See you all there!

Floris
Reply 14
Halifax for me too guys!! Woop!.

The only thing i am confused about really is the pricing. It says in the booklet its through a partner ship programme and is privately funded? Does this mean we will be paying more than others?
Reply 15
That is Halifax UPP accomodation, you be in standard Halifax probably which is normal prices.
Reply 16
Well i got a standard room in Ingram court. I was atleast hoping for the St Lawrence for the larger number of people =/. Standard room too and i asked for an en-suite. York was my first choice, I sent the form off the day i got it aswell and didnt get any of the things i asked for, guess thats just bad luck.

Ingram only has 72 rooms but hopefully i will enjoy myself.
Reply 17
newDana
In most of the houses there are 10 people i think, some have more. I was in a house of 12 (Lindley Court, House G - the best house some say). I'm not sure about St Lawrence though, that court is older and bigger, but prob again has about 10 in each house.
QUOTE]
Just found out I'm in Lindley Court House E, do you happen to have a picture of what the rooms look like? i'm just curious. Also I'm in room 14 so if there are 10-12 per house how does that work?
Reply 18
Neodr31
Well i got a standard room in Ingram court. I was atleast hoping for the St Lawrence for the larger number of people =/. Standard room too and i asked for an en-suite. York was my first choice, I sent the form off the day i got it aswell and didnt get any of the things i asked for, guess thats just bad luck.

Ingram only has 72 rooms but hopefully i will enjoy myself.

Got my letter through today :smile: Ingram Court House F! Anyone else on here in house F?

I'm not bothered about the walk, just glad that I have a place on campus and I'm not in Temporary Accomm. or anything lol.

Anyone in house F taking a TV? I can't be bothered to pay the liscense!

See you in a few weeks!

Will Levet - Comp Sci 07
Reply 19

Just found out I'm in Lindley Court House E, do you happen to have a picture of what the rooms look like? i'm just curious. Also I'm in room 14 so if there are 10-12 per house how does that work?

Doesn't the first number indicate the floor your on? Like I'm in Ingram Court, House F, Room 21 which I think means 2nd floor, 1st room?

Thats my guess.

Will Levet - Comp Sci 07

Latest

Trending

Trending