The Student Room Group

Proper age of consent

Scroll to see replies

There'll be some people, but that's not what I'm arguing, is it?
Reply 61
Captain Crash
It's not really an established piece of culture compared to centuries long practices in Asia and Africa though (relatively speaking).

It was a 300-hundred-year-old practice.
Bismarck
It was a 300-hundred-year-old practice.

Just over 180 years at best, considering the US was founded in 1772. Nothing compared to the 1000+ years of Asia and Africa

Besides on reflection the case of Southern USA it was a law. I wouldn't place it in the same league as cultural practices that just 'happen'.
Reply 63
Shaun39
On impulse, i was quick to click "no!". Who isn't disgusted by the sensationalist image of a child being taken advantage of by an older man (or indeed woman). That said, a more considered response would have to separate the issues:

A marriage is a long term commitment with the potential to devastate someone's life (no joke there - i've seen it in consenting adults). This is precisely the sort of thing that should be denied to 12 year olds. The age of 18 might seem arbitrary and inflexible, but as far as marriage goes, no younger!

Sex on the other hand, is, well, an entirely different issue to us non-Christians. 12 year olds will have sex and the law should not generally interfere. No criminal prosecution should ever be brought in a sex case where both parties are consenting and neither is pressing for conviction (whatever the age, and however irate the parents get).

See the bold text. I know someone who was married at 16 and is now very happy years later. Are you saying that this should not be allowed? On which grounds would you deny her the life that she wants?
Reply 64
Nessyfencer
See the bold text. I know someone who was married at 16 and is now very happy years later. Are you saying that this should not be allowed? On which grounds would you deny her the life that she wants?
Well done, you know one person who defies a general truth, I know that a 1/3 of children have divorced parents.
Reply 65
Renal
Well done, you know one person who defies a general truth, I know that a 1/3 of children have divorced parents.

It makes no difference if it "defies a general truth" or not. The point is that people have the right to decide for themselves. Some people are too young at 16 and should not get married, some people are mature enough to make the decision. No one has the right to say that you can't.

What is your point with divorce? That's an issue even with people who get married when they are older.
Reply 66
Captain Crash
Just over 180 years at best, considering the US was founded in 1772. Nothing compared to the 1000+ years of Asia and Africa

Besides on reflection the case of Southern USA it was a law. I wouldn't place it in the same league as cultural practices that just 'happen'.

Ah, you mean the people who lived there didn't practice it before the US was founded? :rolleyes:

No, it wasn't. Blacks were legally allowed to vote. And not allowing blacks to vote (or do anything else) was a large part of Southern culture. A vast majority of Southerners supported it.

Nessyfencer
It makes no difference if it "defies a general truth" or not. The point is that people have the right to decide for themselves. Some people are too young at 16 and should not get married, some people are mature enough to make the decision. No one has the right to say that you can't.

What is your point with divorce? That's an issue even with people who get married when they are older.

And how do we decide which 16-year-olds are too young and which aren't?
Bismarck
Ah, you mean the people who lived there didn't practice it before the US was founded? :rolleyes:

Black people only became emancipated in the early 19th century, so no, southerners didn't prevent black people from voting certainly no earlier than 1776 (especially being as Americans didn't have representation before independence anyway....).
Bismarck

No, it wasn't. Blacks were legally allowed to vote. And not allowing blacks to vote (or do anything else) was a large part of Southern culture. A vast majority of Southerners supported it.

Fair enough, although I would argue that that culture was then illegal within it's own country. Marriage and sex at 12 in some areas of the middle east isn't.

Btw, going back to the original point, you do know the age of consent in most european countries is 14 and in Spain it's 13? Or that in Mexico it's 12? Are they exempt from this attack on middle eastern countries?
Reply 68
Captain Crash
Black people only became emancipated in the early 19th century, so no, southerners didn't prevent black people from voting certainly no earlier than 1776 (especially being as Americans didn't have representation before independence anyway....).

You know full well I was referring to not granting blacks any rights and treating them as sub-human. That WAS a part of Southern culture, and I don't understand how you can deny it.

Fair enough, although I would argue that that culture was then illegal within it's own country. Marriage and sex at 12 in some areas of the middle east isn't.

Btw, going back to the original point, you do know the age of consent in most european countries is 14 and in Spain it's 13? Or that in Mexico it's 12? Are they exempt from this attack on middle eastern countries?

Many of the countries with an age of 14 or 15 still make it a crime for someone over 21 to sleep with 14-15 year olds. And I still fail to see your point. Just because European countries have nothing against pedophilia makes it ok? :confused: How many people on this poll voted yes?
Bismarck
You know full well I was referring to not granting blacks any rights and treating them as sub-human. That WAS a part of Southern culture, and I don't understand how you can deny it.

I'm not denying it, my point was that it was a relativly short-lived (only about 200 years) compared to practices in excess of 1000 years. But its probably a moot point...

Bismarck

Many of the countries with an age of 14 or 15 still make it a crime for someone over 21 to sleep with 14-15 year olds. And I still fail to see your point. Just because European countries have nothing against pedophilia makes it ok? :confused: How many people on this poll voted yes?

Not so. Even in Germany where the 21 age is stated, it's only in regard to deceitful gaining of consent.

My point is even if we see it as abhorrant, as seen in the poll above, if another culture deems it universally acceptable within the culture, who are we to judge it? Hypothetically, what if a culture found, say, watching TV abhorrant, would we be compelled to give up this practice because of them?

And my point with the european countries is that although similar laws of consent exist in 'western' countries you appear to be focusing your attack on Islamic countries for no particular reason other than that they're islamic as far as I can tell.
Reply 70
Bismarck

And how do we decide which 16-year-olds are too young and which aren't?

We don't, that's the point. Why should we? We let them decide. Unless you want to shelter everyone from every possible mistake in life?
Reply 71
Nessyfencer

Would they really have been any less happy if they had to wait another two years to get married?
Reply 72
Psyk
Would they really have been any less happy if they had to wait another two years to get married?

No idea. I would imagine they would be unhappy if they were told that they could not get married.
Everyone who said "yes and I'm agnostic/atheist" is a girl. Curious...
Reply 74
Bismarck
Racism was universal in Southern culture. So who are we to judge it, right? You wouldn't condemn that racism if you lived half a century ago?

We wouldn't have. Most people, at the time, were ambivalent towards racism and found nothing wrong with it.

And I was hardly advocating twelve year olds to get married, firstly it was a purely hypothetical example and secondly, I don't think the state needs to get involved unnecessarily.
Reply 75
Bismarck
Why should we shelter 12-year-olds or 8-year-olds?

I will presume that the question you are asking here is "why should we shelter 8-12 year olds as apposed to sheltering 16 year olds?" instead of what you asked.

A huge percentage of 16 year olds are mature enough to make their own decisions, which is why they are given the right to make a lot of them. Leaving school, smoking, driving a year later (or at 16 in some cases), etc. Why should the right to marry be taken away from the responsible ones just because some are not responsible? That would be like taking driving licences away from everyone just because there are a few idiots on the road.
Reply 76
Ethelred the Unready
Everyone who said "yes and I'm agnostic/atheist" is a girl. Curious...

No they aint/
Nessyfencer
No they aint/

Based on..?
Reply 78

Where did I say that? They are old enough at 16 to start experiencing the world and making decisions.

I like the way you threw in the word "her" there to try to emphasize a week 16 year old girl instead of someone m/f who is ready to leave school and work for a living.
Reply 79
Ethelred the Unready
Based on..?

The fact one of them was me, and I kinda know how to check if I am a girl or not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending