The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Any 2nd year Economists out there?

r there any of u on TSR .... im joining nottingham from another uni where I completed my first yr in Economics. Im joining the second year at Nottingham and I was wondering if someone could check my choice of modules if they are allowed? also do many people enjoy econometrics? how hard was the econometrics module u did in your first year? this is the choice of modules i have chosen:

Autumn L12302 Microeconomic Theory 20...…2hr exam
L12306 Quantitative Economics III 10.…..1hr exam
L12320 Econometrics I 20…...2hr exam
L12330 The European Economy I 10...1.5hr exam
Spring L12402 Macroeconomic Theory 20…...2hr exam
L12411 Applied Quantitative Economics 10...1hr10 exam
L12420 Econometrics II 20.…..2hr exam
L12430 The European Economy II 10…1.5hr exam
Reply 1
First of all, you're not allowed to do both QEIII and Econometrics, but you are allowed to choose Applied QE(which is a wholly separate module from QEI,II,III) and Econometrics II in the second semester. Apart from that you have to take 4 applied modules in year 2 and you've only got one. Last year there was some talking about slightly changing the "4 applied modules" rule, but that is something you'll have to find out when you're in notts.

As for econometrics in general, it's kind of subjective. Yes, it's very tough, but doable. That said, you should be prepared to face something that will probaly be different to everything you've ever done. Very few people liked first year econometrics.

What sort of econometrics did you do in your first year? Did you do linear regression?
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I didnt do any econometrics in my first year however I did do linear regression and a whole maths module on probability n stats + Further Maths for A Level if that counts :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Well, if you did have to prove (prove formally, meaning you were working with general expressions and not particular cases) that alpha^ and beta^ were unbiased estimators, derive them using OLS, show that BLUE was the best estimator, then you should be fine. If not, then you might still be fine, but you'll have to work more.

Latest

Trending

Trending