The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
beach surf babe
Most places should accept the PASS cards. Its actually endorsed by the government, if you're card gets refused somewhere you can report it. The only companies that seem to produce the cards now though are Citizen Card, Validate and Young Scot. It would be better if there was just a standard card that everyone got free of charge....would definitely save all the hassle of not knowing if your form of ID will get you in.

lol I've never seen one accepted in my life. Every time someone gets one out the bouncer just cracks up with laughter and says something along the lines of "You must be 'avin a larf, sunshine.". I wouldn't even consider trying it with a PASS card, it just makes you look stupid.
Reply 41
Dionysus
You might get away with a few weird things like PASS in student bars etc, but they're never adequate in a major bar/pub or club. Passport and Driving License are the only acceptable forms of ID in 99% of places. Don't try anything else, you just get laughed at and/or barred. Incidentally, provisionals are not always accepted.

Consider the fact that you'll spend that in 2 nights out, easily. It's not really so much, is it?

what kind of places dont accept provisonals?
Reply 42
They don't like the Welsh ones for some reason.
Reply 43
qwerty3
what kind of places dont accept provisonals?

The kind of high-end clubs that UV-scan your ID and check it etc - for some reason they sometimes don't like them.
Reply 44
They UV scan it? Wow... I've never seen that before.
Reply 45
Pfft, they're supposed to accept cards with the PASS logo. It's ridiculous that they won't. I argued (successfully) with bouncers about whether they should let me in with a PASS card so much that in the end I just got myself a provisional licence instead.
vector
They UV scan it? Wow... I've never seen that before.

They do it all the time on the bar at Wetherspoons, they take it off you and pass it under a UV light just above the till.

It is a shame that some places don't accept PASS as it is government approved. Some places have posters outside or at the bar which show "acceptable" methods of ID including a few different PASS cards - obviously if you go to one of these with a card which looks just like one of the ones on the poster and can point at the poster and say "look!" you might stand more of a chance. Perhaps if people started writing to places and making them more aware... either way it is still entirely up to the pub / nightclub who they let in and who they don't.

Of course one way to look at it is that if they refuse you entry they are losing your custom. And that of the group of friends you are with. So if they want to be arses then fine, they could easily legally let you in but it's their loss.

Oh, and also as someone said earlier, if you can't afford the one-off cost of a Provisional, you probably can't afford to drink much at all.
Reply 47
I go to Wethers a fair bit and never seen it done. Maybe I just go to a cheap Wethers :p:
Reply 48
thefish_uk
They do it all the time on the bar at Wetherspoons, they take it off you and pass it under a UV light just above the till.

It is a shame that some places don't accept PASS as it is government approved. Some places have posters outside or at the bar which show "acceptable" methods of ID including a few different PASS cards - obviously if you go to one of these with a card which looks just like one of the ones on the poster and can point at the poster and say "look!" you might stand more of a chance. Perhaps if people started writing to places and making them more aware... either way it is still entirely up to the pub / nightclub who they let in and who they don't.

Of course one way to look at it is that if they refuse you entry they are losing your custom. And that of the group of friends you are with. So if they want to be arses then fine, they could easily legally let you in but it's their loss.

Oh, and also as someone said earlier, if you can't afford the one-off cost of a Provisional, you probably can't afford to drink much at all.

hehe who said i was going drinking hehe
I've taken to using my passport although since I've been doing that I haven't been ID'd (yet...) which is typical. Its kinda risky taking your passport out as they definately are expensive to replace....

Latest