The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why has this thread turned into a "slag off Cambridge" fest? :frown:

I really don't think you should right off a whole university based on hearsay and stereotypes. I went to a bog-standard state school where there are very few oxbridge applicants each year, I am neither "snooty" nor acamdemically competitive and I love Cambridge!
True Cambridge is not for everyone but please don't be put off by other peoples uninformed oppinions, check it out for yourself and then make a decision! :cool:
Reply 41
Fairy Princess does have a good point, same goes for Notts! Personally I wouldnt like Cambridge but I did my research and the course structure wouldnt suit me and Im not a fan of the colleges but I do have things to base my opinions on, and they are only opinions! Cambridge is a great vet school, in fact any in the UK are.
So is there only one Cambridge college that does vet or more than one?
Reply 43
I think all but three of the colleges offer vet med and each college has a different intake eg. some only take 1 whilst others take 7/8.
all of them do i think, but theres only a certain number accepted for each college
Reply 45
Botticello
poor you :frown: Good luck with your sciences! Where are you applying?

Don't know yet! But probably just Liverpool (and possibly Nottingham) as I can't afford to move far because of my husband's job.
Reply 46
city_chic
Oh, cool :smile: You were working as a vet nurse at first, right? But now you want to train to be a vet?

If I can ask, did you ever consider being a vet (i.e. not a vet nurse) in the past? You're rather a lot like me.

I did languages in school, my parents wanted me to have a career with languages. I used to occasionally dream of being a vet but seriously didn't think I was clever enough so didn't pursue it.
It was only after I started working as a nurse that I really decided to go for it. I eventually confided to one of our vets that I wanted to be a vet too, and I was amazed by the response - everyone was so supportive and really believed I could do it! And I decided I couldn't live my life knowing I'd not even tried - so here I am, studying til my brains explode!:biggrin:
Evenstar
I did languages in school, my parents wanted me to have a career with languages. I used to occasionally dream of being a vet but seriously didn't think I was clever enough so didn't pursue it.
It was only after I started working as a nurse that I really decided to go for it. I eventually confided to one of our vets that I wanted to be a vet too, and I was amazed by the response - everyone was so supportive and really believed I could do it! And I decided I couldn't live my life knowing I'd not even tried - so here I am, studying til my brains explode!:biggrin:

Wow, I'm almost the exact same as you.

Where are you studying vet med now then? Notts by any chance?
Reply 48
city_chic
Wow, I'm almost the exact same as you.

Where are you studying vet med now then? Notts by any chance?

I haven't applied yet, lol! But like I said, I can't really apply anywhere 'down south' because I've got ties to the north and commitments etc. I'll be applying to Notts and Liverpool I should think.:smile:

What's your situation then City Chic?
Evenstar
I haven't applied yet, lol! But like I said, I can't really apply anywhere 'down south' because I've got ties to the north and commitments etc. I'll be applying to Notts and Liverpool I should think.:smile:

What's your situation then City Chic?

Oh, cool :smile:

Most people know my situation by now, haha :p:

Too tired to explain it right now lol, but you'll find numerous posts of mine giving the gist :p:
Reply 50
Botticello
What GCSE's did you get snow? Id like to see what you consider so bad!

I got 4A's and 7B's. Although its not to bad, it just not up to vet med standard. Also i did not do maths or physics for as levels, so that took me out for some unis. Places like RVC ask for minimum 5 A's. So basically.. im out of it all.
Thats not THAT bad. I mean Im applying to Vet science and I was told 6B 4A's I got and 2 sciences are still accepted! Liverpool are quite nice in that respect

Latest

Trending

Trending