The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

FadeToBlackout
Do Visual Basic and C++ count as modern languages? :wink:

I dispute how necessary language A-Levels are- I mean, I didn't do any (I couldn't, my school didn't offer them) and historian friends of mine didn't do them either.

Heehee regarding the computing comment.

Languages are by no means necessary but ideally a historian should have one; it would broaden his horizons. You can be an excellent historian and be completely inept regarding other languages, but having a modern language enables you to fully appreciate primary sources IMO, with a lot of subtle connotations that may come to the fore (although this, ultimately, would require a fluency which I, though very proficient, have yet to acquire). In other words, nice if you have it, but not a prerequisite.
Reply 21
Haha, do English lit, then we'd be doing the same subjects :p:

Nah, do Latin, it'll open doors if you suddenly decide to do Classics
Reply 22
I do Maths, Further Maths, History and English Lit and I'm applying for History at Oxford, Durham etc. Take Statistics modules inside Maths if you can (I did, then linked it to demographics and economic history in my PS). Is English English Lit, Lang or combined? Unless it's Lit Latin might be significantly more respectable anyway.
Reply 23
Latin roxzorz, I just wish I'd tried harder on the verse set text :frown:
Reply 24
It would definitely be just english lit (my school doesn't offer anything else).

anyway, thanks for the advice everyone, at the moment it's looking like history, maths, further maths, latin, economics/physics. i spoke to my history teacher about it (who went to oxford so hopefully knows what he's talking about) and he said latin would be much more useful than english for primary sources etc. and it would be fine applying for history with history, lati, maths and further maths a2s - the maths (and possibly the physics as) shows intellectual breath.

Also, do you think history, double maths, english and latin would be too much work? Most people i've spoken to seem to think so - 3 killer essay subjects and the extra maths a level. Thoughts?

Anna
Reply 25
essays in latin? :eek: *dies*
Reply 26
I did 3 essay subjects, a science and a language and I managed it alrightish, you'll really resent your friends when it comes to exam time though.
Reply 27
I did two sciences maths and history! Its certainly possible to do "diffrent" combinations
Reply 28
djjz13
I did two sciences maths and history! Its certainly possible to do "diffrent" combinations

Absolutely. I do French, History and Biology. History is a must- a foreign language is very useful and a science shows you're a well-rounded individual!
I could have done English, History and french instead but I spoke to the admissions tutor for my course and university choice and it does count in your favour if you do a well-respected but unusual combination- it demonstrates that your mind is very versatile. That said, the "Traditional" combination is good too- I guess as long as you don't do media studias or something and do 3 traditional A-levels (inc. History) that you enjoy then it's acceptable.
Reply 29
Fillette
Absolutely. I do French, History and Biology. History is a must- a foreign language is very useful and a science shows you're a well-rounded individual!
I could have done English, History and french instead but I spoke to the admissions tutor for my course and university choice and it does count in your favour if you do a well-respected but unusual combination- it demonstrates that your mind is very versatile. That said, the "Traditional" combination is good too- I guess as long as you don't do media studias or something and do 3 traditional A-levels (inc. History) that you enjoy then it's acceptable.

You only need to do two traditional A Levels to be accepted at the vast majority of universities, including Oxbridge.
Reply 30
You only need to do two traditional A Levels to be accepted at the vast majority of universities, including Oxbridge.

When you define "non- traditional" do you mean subjects like philosophy or psychology, and not general studies or critical thinking which the universities I applied for don't like in place of another A-level?
Reply 31
Do the ye olde classic route: Latin, English and History :wink:
Reply 32
Fillette
When you define "non- traditional" do you mean subjects like philosophy or psychology, and not general studies or critical thinking which the universities I applied for don't like in place of another A-level?

GS and CT don't count anyway generally and are therefore outside the traditional/non-traditional spectrum. By 'traditional' I mean any subject not in the boxes near the bottom of this page:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/
Reply 33
I did Chemistry, Biology, History and German for A2. Like 3232 has said, as long as you have 2 traditional subjects in there, you'll be OK.
Reply 34
GS and CT don't count anyway generally and are therefore outside the traditional/non-traditional spectrum. By 'traditional' I mean any subject not in the boxes near the bottom of this page:

http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/requirements/

That clarifies things, thank you.

Latest

Trending

Trending