The Student Room Group

Pharmacology/Pharmacy

Hiya,
I am new to these forums, so please be gentle. :P

Okay, I have three main questions, I am studying Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Psychology at A-Level.
Pharmacy as a course at university has really appealed to me! So here we go...

1) I have seen Pharmacy and Pharmacology degrees at Universities, is this the same degree? Or are they different? If so, what is the difference between the two.

2) Can anyone recommend what are good Universities to go to that allow you to study for Pharmacy.

3) Finally... what does a Pharmacy degree actually involve? Is it a fun course to study?

Thanks!
Reply 1
theepw
Hiya,
I am new to these forums, so please be gentle. :P

Okay, I have three main questions, I am studying Biology, Chemistry, Economics and Psychology at A-Level.
Pharmacy as a course at university has really appealed to me! So here we go...

1) I have seen Pharmacy and Pharmacology degrees at Universities, is this the same degree? Or are they different? If so, what is the difference between the two.

2) Can anyone recommend what are good Universities to go to that allow you to study for Pharmacy.

3) Finally... what does a Pharmacy degree actually involve? Is it a fun course to study?

Thanks!

1. Pharmacology is the study and discovery/formulation of new drugs. How they affect people and will basically lead to a industrial related course (but really you could do any broad based career afterwards. Whereas pharmacy is the study to practice pharmacy and learning about dispensing medications.
2. The best for pharmacy and Nottingham, Manchester, Cardiff and Bath i think, but wherever you go it will lead you to a pharmacy degree and you can practice as a pharmacist.
3. At the end of a pharmacy degree you become a registered pharmacist. You learn how drgs affect the body to some extent, the law behind dispensing and it prpeares you for the world of dispensing. You will find it fun to study especially if you like chemistry!
Any other questions im happy to answer as i'm applying next year for pharmacy, so i've researched alot behind it. :smile:
Reply 2
Oh right, thanks for your help.

I am hoping to apply for Pharmacy, I just hope I get that B grade i need in AS Chemistry.... but im really worried I havnt got it :frown: I hope that I have luck on my side this year when it comes to grade boundaries!
I just really like the idea of helping people (I would like to work within the NHS for a while).. as well as learning and discovering new things in the world of Pharmacy!

If you are a registered Pharmacist, can you still go into industry? Cos I have heard that most money is made in industry eg. factories and research etc.
Reply 3
theepw
Oh right, thanks for your help.

I am hoping to apply for Pharmacy, I just hope I get that B grade i need in AS Chemistry.... but im really worried I havnt got it :frown:

If you are a registered Pharmacist, can you still go into industry? Cos I have heard that most money is made in industry eg. factories etc.

I hope i get a B too, theres a strong possibility i could be getting a C, but if i do i'll retake. Good luck with those results :smile:
Yep you can go into industry, although there are fewer places so they tend to select the best people, but thats not a problem if you come up top :wink: And industrial pharmacists can earn up to and beyond 60k :cool:
Reply 4
Ramaya
I hope i get a B too, theres a strong possibility i could be getting a C, but if i do i'll retake. Good luck with those results :smile:
Yep you can go into industry, although there are fewer places so they tend to select the best people, but thats not a problem if you come up top :wink: And industrial pharmacists can earn up to and beyond 60k :cool:

I am with you on that one. I guess we are in the same boat.... and I am too fearing a grade C, I think I would have got one. There is the possibility of retaking.

However... If I was going to retake, would you recommend me dropping one of my As subjects for A2? Becaue if I dont drop a subject I will be doing 4 A2 levels plus Gen.Studies... what would you recommend? I am very tempted to drop a subject to make the work load a bit lighter next year... however, I dont know whether I would do any extra constructive work in those extra free periods I would be getting....
Reply 5
theepw
I am with you on that one. I guess we are in the same boat.... and I am too fearing a grade C, I think I would have got one. There is the possibility of retaking.

However... If I was going to retake, would you recommend me dropping one of my As subjects for A2? Becaue if I dont drop a subject I will be doing 4 A2 levels plus Gen.Studies... what would you recommend? I am very tempted to drop a subject to make the work load a bit lighter next year... however, I dont know whether I would do any extra constructive work in those extra free periods I would be getting....

Well it depends, i'm doing 3 a levels and an AS next year and will probably retake most of my exams. It depends on whether you think you can manage taking ALOT of exams in January. Whats AS subjects are you studying? What would you drop? Its always an advantage to have an extra A level but i won't have one and it doesn't matter that much.
Reply 6
Ramaya
Well it depends, i'm doing 3 a levels and an AS next year and will probably retake most of my exams. It depends on whether you think you can manage taking ALOT of exams in January. Whats AS subjects are you studying? What would you drop? Its always an advantage to have an extra A level but i won't have one and it doesn't matter that much.

At our school, I think we do our retakes at the end of the year rather than at the beginning.

I am studying; biology, chemistry, economics, psychology.

If I was to drop one, it would be economics, I am slightly losing interest in it :/
Reply 7
theepw
At our school, I think we do our retakes at the end of the year rather than at the beginning.

I am studying; biology, chemistry, economics, psychology.

If I was to drop one, it would be economics, I am slightly losing interest in it :/

It might be worth it if you think your other grades will improve, because you will have less to learn. But if you get good grades on thursday it may be a good idea to keep it :smile:
Reply 8
Ramaya
It might be worth it if you think your other grades will improve, because you will have less to learn. But if you get good grades on thursday it may be a good idea to keep it :smile:

I think i did alright in my three other subjects... my only worry is Chemistry.

My only reasons for dropping a subject next year is that I have heard Chemistry is meant to get much harder in A2... I am really not sure.
YAY! Another chance for me to talk up my degree :biggrin:

1) Ramaya already much pretty covered this one. Pharmacology is the study of what a drug does to the body and what the body does to the drug. You do pharmacology in a pharmacy degree as well but with lots of other stuff to.

2) CARDIFF! :biggrin: *LoL* okay so I'm a bit biased there but it is an excellent university with an excellent pharmacy dept. Aston, Manchester, Bath and Nottingham are also good but to be honest all the degree schemes have to accredited by the society so they'll all be of good quality.

3) This year I've done ...

Pharmaceutical Chemistry (organic, physical and applied chem)

Pharmacology

Cell Biology and Biochemistry

Microbiology and Immunology

Social and Professional Pharmacy (Law & ethics, responding to symptoms etc)

Pharmaceutical calculations and statistics

All of this gets built on in the following three years and new things get introducted such as drug design and formulation.

It is a lot of hard work and sometimes this year I found myself thinking I wasn't clever enough to be there but it's what I really want to do :smile:
Reply 10
-Emmz-

1) Ramaya already much pretty covered this one. Pharmacology is the study of what a drug does to the body and what the body does to the drug. You do pharmacology in a pharmacy degree as well but with lots of other stuff to.

2) CARDIFF! :biggrin: *LoL* okay so I'm a bit biased there but it is an excellent university with an excellent pharmacy dept. Aston, Manchester, Bath and Nottingham are also good but to be honest all the degree schemes have to accredited by the society so they'll all be of good quality.

Pharmacology

All of this gets built on in the following three years and new things get introducted such as drug design and formulation.

It is a lot of hard work and sometimes this year I found myself thinking I wasn't clever enough to be there but it's what I really want to do :smile:

:biggrin: you make it sound so good, i can't wait to leave school and do it! lol.
Reply 11
-Emmz-

Pharmacology

So what is actually tough about studying Pharmacy?

Is it just the HUGE amounts of information you have to learn? Or is it something else?
Ramaya
:biggrin: you make it sound so good, i can't wait to leave school and do it! lol.

Well I hope you do enjoy it when you get to uni :biggrin:
Reply 13
Emmz.... whats tough about studying Pharmacy?

I heard there was a lot of stuff to learn. Are there any other things that make Pharmacy a tough degree to take?
theepw
So what is actually tough about studying Pharmacy?

Is it just the HUGE amounts of information you have to learn? Or is it something else?

The science gets very complex as the course goes on. I can't speak for other universities but the chemistry I did this year was very challenging and there was also a lot of it. Even the brainy people who didn't bat an eyelid to get an A at A Level came out of the exam saying it was difficult. As long as you're willing to sit down and learn it though you'll be fine. I'm guessing also that once your brain makes the transition to thinking at that level then it'll be easier to cope :smile: (okay I am hoping this will be true for my three years left *LoL*)

You've also got to have good communication skills, but you get taught that too :smile:
Reply 15
-Emmz-
The science gets very complex as the course goes on. I can't speak for other universities but the chemistry I did this year was very challenging and there was also a lot of it. Even the brainy people who didn't bat an eyelid to get an A at A Level came out of the exam saying it was difficult. As long as you're willing to sit down and learn it though you'll be fine. I'm guessing also that once your brain makes the transition to thinking at that level then it'll be easier to cope :smile: (okay I am hoping this will be true for my three years left *LoL*)

You've also got to have good communication skills, but you get taught that too :smile:

What kind of Chemistry did you find tough? Were there calculations? Or was it just theory?
theepw
What kind of Chemistry did you find tough? Were there calculations? Or was it just theory?

Mainly the physical as that's the part of chemistry I don't really like. The organic was tough too though. I guess it was mainly to do with how much there was to learn. To be honest I didn't work as hard as I should have this year, I'm gonna get my head down this year cause it counts!
Reply 17
pharmacy :rolleyes: the newly-qualified pharmacist in work took about 10 minutes to come up with the contra-indications of atenolol!

:tongue: on a more serious note, i'm planning to do either pharmacology or anatomy as an intercalating degree next year and drugs are certainly much more interesting than they first appear.
Reply 18
-Emmz-
Mainly the physical as that's the part of chemistry I don't really like. The organic was tough too though. I guess it was mainly to do with how much there was to learn. To be honest I didn't work as hard as I should have this year, I'm gonna get my head down this year cause it counts!

What is physical chemistry when it comes to Pharmacy? the chemical structure of medicines?
What does oragnic involve aswell?
theepw
What is physical chemistry when it comes to Pharmacy? the chemical structure of medicines?
What does oragnic involve aswell?

This year for physical I did:
Thermodynamics
Kinetics
Electrochemistry
Radiochemistry

Organic is pretty much building on what you started at A Level but in A LOT more detail.

And then I did applied chemistry which was:
Chromatography
Carbohydrate chemistry
Biological aspects of radioactivity
Phytochemistry

Latest

Trending

Trending