The Student Room Group

Slight Conundrum

Hi I have begun my AS year and it's been about 2 weeks so far. I do ICT, Spanish, Business Studies. These 3 I enjoy but my fourth subject has been a problem. It is currently RE but I really do want to change to Maths. I have a B grade at Maths for GCSE and I am keen but I am not sure whether to take the plunge or not. This is because I have heard that AS Maths is extremely difficult and you can either end up with an A or B or an E or a U. I really don't want the latter. So what do I do? I have two days to decide whether to stick with RE (which bores me to death) or Maths (which I will probably struggle with).
I have previously tried French, Geography and English for the 4th subject and they have bored me too so I these are the only 2 choices I have left.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated. Thanku
Don't be put off maths because it's difficult. If you got a B at GCSE and are willing to put the work in then I say go for it. =)
Well, i got an A for my maths GCSE, but I had to REALLY work hard for it so I'm obviously not the best. I've taken maths for AS level, and so far it really hasn't been that bad at all! And i'm not even that keen on it, i took it as it's useful, and if you're keen that will help you even more. So i say try it :smile:

What do you want to be in the future btw?
Reply 3
GCSE grades don't mean end of!

As long as you are passionate about it and stick to it there will be no problem.
Reply 4
Maths is pips :biggrin::biggrin: its all about hard work and you get a B no need to understand anything hehe.
You will need to know some bits but the majority is quite easy to get so do it :biggrin: even if its only for As
I carried on with Geography despite it being one of my subjects i didn't get an A* in. Thats purely because loved it. Got 300 at AS... no regrets.

My advice- Do what you like best!
Hmmm...this just shows the spectrum of how everyone finds Maths at AS. I personally am struggling quite a bit despite achieving an A* in Maths at GCSE level. I find the questions require a lot of logic to first unwrap what the question is really asking, apply the method, and then verify you have the correct answer. Since I'm doing normal Maths at AS (not F.Maths), we only do C1 in January which has actually got some tough bits and bobs regardless of how 'easy' everyone claims it to be.

I do think you'd be suited to do Maths over R.S. It will help you a lot by opening various doors to other course choices when the time comes for applying for uni. R.S is well respected too, especially being a humanist subject, however, I'd say Maths will prove to be more efficient and beneficial for your future.

Latest