The Student Room Group
Reply 1
face05
Some teacher mentioned that critical thinking was reccommended if you were to apply for medinice and oxbridge. Is this true?

No :p:
face05
Some teacher mentioned that critical thinking was reccommended if you were to apply for medinice and oxbridge. Is this true?

The actual grade that you get in the end is worth nothing but the actual content will help you with the BMAT test where logical thinking is involved as well as Oxbridge interviews. The actual grade you get is pointless and isn't worth anything on your application to most universities.
Reply 3
Is that true also of the LNAT test?
Reply 4
Mathemagician. Funny?
The actual grade that you get in the end is worth nothing but the actual content will help you with the BMAT test where logical thinking is involved as well as Oxbridge interviews. The actual grade you get is pointless and isn't worth anything on your application to most universities.

I'm not so sure tbh. Of the universities i've researched, only Cambridge and King's College London (and Bristol from 2009) disregard Critical Thinking. Imperial, Oxford, UCL, Southampton, Nottingham and St George's accept it. However, i don't think its very well regarded as one of your 4 AS-Levels, but would be considered more acceptable as a 5th. I did pretty badly in Critical Thinking but i agree that it gives you some useful skills for the BMAT and possibly the first section of the UKCAT.
I did critical thinking at AS last year and I got a C, and it was RUBBISH..but I thought that I'd be getting an advantage in applying to top universities, because thats the impression the school gave us "Critical thinking is well thought of by top universities"...and now I've heard that universities don't even care, and that it's treated the same as general studies. ppfft.
pcok

I've heard that Cambridge disregards LNAT, but Oxford actually has somewhat of a cutoff point at around 19-20...but if you do well, it can help your chances if your grades arn't good enough. I don't know much about how other unis think of LNAT....the essay part would give them an idea of your writing ability (without drafting and redrafting like ur PS).
Reply 7
pcok

Yes it would help you with the LNAT

Latest

Trending

Trending