The Student Room Group

Help - RSPCA Inspector

Hi
I am currently studying animal science degree and am undecided about whether to apply as a graduate to vet med or I am considering applying to become an RSPCA inspector. I wanted some advice on what voluntary work or jobs I could get to demonstrate that I will be able to deal with confrontational situations? As I have been trying to think of something I could do. Any advice or help or if anyone knows someone who is an inspector will be appreciated.
Reply 1
Confrontational situations? That's a hard one! I was a brownie leader for 6 years which taught me much needed leadership and communication skills. I'm not sure they necessarily want someone that can deal with confrontation, they teach you that when becoming a vet or RSPCA inspector, I think it's more about being able to cope with stress and difficult situations when things are coming from all fronts. So in that sense I would recommend something that involves working in a team whilst still having to think on your feet. Working with children will certainly help in that respect :biggrin:

Have you tried going to an RSPCA centre and asking them if you could talk to an inspector?

What year are you in on your current degree?
Reply 2
Thanks for your help.:smile:

I have asked to do work experience with an inspector and they said I couldn't, but i might try ringing my local centre and asking to talk to an inspector.
I am in my first year.
I have thought about volunteering with people, as you need to show good people skills, so I thought that if i volunteer with all different age groups it might help.
How do you become a brownie pack leader?
Reply 3
Well I was a brownie, then went to guides, started helping at my old brownie pack again and just stayed there. Brownie packs are always crying out for help though (the pack I helped at has since closed in the last year which I was very sad about) so you can try and find out where your nearest pack is and ask them, or find out the number of the local district commisioner and they'll put you in touch with packs in your area that need help.

Another good place to find voluntary work is www.do-it.org which is a website that has all kinds of different opportunities on there. I used it and managed to stack up 100 hours of voluntary work which means I got a gold certificate. I think it's run by an organisation called millenium volunteers and their certificates are recognised by most employers.
Reply 4
Thanks, the website is really good. :biggrin:

Latest