The Student Room Group

A bit upset.

Suddenly got very paranoid. I am going to UEA in September to finish my LL.B and then to Durham to do an LL.M next autumn.

I've just suddenly thought that maybe I'm just wasting my time because UEA is not going to give me the degree that is going to enable me to get into a City firm to do what I'd like to do (international property) in a serious environment. Am I right in saying that unis like Leeds, UEA, Exeter, Newcastle are aren't really far from ex-polys in the eyes of City employers?
Is that right that since I don't come from Warwick or Oxford and the like (the top-ten in the Times) I don't stand a chance?

Shall I still bother?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
im goin university 4 law dis September at Greenwich and i dont think it really matters where you go if you are ambitious enuff.
I was given the impression that UEA is a decent university. But if you can make one of the Russell Group members that will be a bonus.
Reply 3
NDGAARONDI
I was given the impression that UEA is a decent university. But if you can make one of the Russell Group members that will be a bonus.

Well it is a top-20, traditional university, but whether top-20 is good enough I don't know.
Reply 4
I'd say you've gota chance with almost all firms, but you're really going to have to bolster your CV in other areas to compete with those who have impeccable academics. First, UEA is not so bad as to preclude you from most firms. Granted, employers won't be impressed by it, but neither will they be so put off as to exclude you by this alone. You're probably going to find it harder to get noticed by law firms, but there are things you can do. Make sure you perform outstandingly in your studies - top 5%. Then get some good extra-curriculars on your CV. Evidence of leadership is important - elected positions at uni, Camp America, or something like that. Work experience is important. Don't worry if it's not MC. Firms aren't that interested in vacation work that wasn't done at their place. Just try to make sure you've got some commercial work experience - preferably in law, but perhaps also in other commercial fields. Learning a language will help, and you won't get a better place than at university. Basically, recruiters are going to look at your grades and not be convinced immediately that you're for them - so you need to make sure that when they look at the rest of your application it is packed full of reasons for them to take you. With ambition and drive I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck, and keep your chin up.
Reply 5
NDGAARONDI

wot is the russel group?
Reply 6
ColdFire
wot is the russel group?

A (self-selected) group of what are approximately regarded as the top 19 institutions.
Reply 7
Ahem. And it consists of:

University of Birmingham
University of Bristol
University of Cambridge
Cardiff University
University of Edinburgh
University of Glasgow
Imperial College of Science, Technology & Medicine
King's College London
University of Leeds
University of Liverpool
London School of Economics & Political Science
University of Manchester
University of Newcastle upon Tyne
University of Nottingham
University of Oxford
University of Sheffield
University of Southampton
University of Warwick
University College London
Reply 8
Thanx, ive neva heard of da group so it cant be all dat serious
Reply 9
I already know a language, and I've done some placements.
I thought UEA wouldn't create as much impression as LSE, but I never thought it was so bad to leave the employers "unimpressed".
Reply 10
belinsky
I already know a language, and I've done some placements.
I thought UEA wouldn't create as much impression as LSE, but I never thought it was so bad to leave the employers "unimpressed".

Sorry, I think you're perceiving my meaning wrong. I meant that they wouldn't be 'ohhing' and 'ahhing' over your choice of university. But then again they won't be writing you off as a polytech failure whose degree they see as unworthy. In other words, it won't have an awful lot of bearing either way.
Reply 11
muncrun
I'd say you've gota chance with almost all firms, but you're really going to have to bolster your CV in other areas to compete with those who have impeccable academics. First, UEA is not so bad as to preclude you from most firms. Granted, employers won't be impressed by it, but neither will they be so put off as to exclude you by this alone. You're probably going to find it harder to get noticed by law firms, but there are things you can do. Make sure you perform outstandingly in your studies - top 5%. Then get some good extra-curriculars on your CV. Evidence of leadership is important - elected positions at uni, Camp America, or something like that. Work experience is important. Don't worry if it's not MC. Firms aren't that interested in vacation work that wasn't done at their place. Just try to make sure you've got some commercial work experience - preferably in law, but perhaps also in other commercial fields. Learning a language will help, and you won't get a better place than at university. Basically, recruiters are going to look at your grades and not be convinced immediately that you're for them - so you need to make sure that when they look at the rest of your application it is packed full of reasons for them to take you. With ambition and drive I'm sure you can do it.

Good luck, and keep your chin up.

dat sounds like gud advice where are you studying muncrun?
Reply 12
ColdFire
Thanx, ive neva heard of da group so it cant be all dat serious

Only established in 1994. It's gaining imortance though - in the future it will be of much greater significance in representing the difference between former polys and traditional institutions.
Reply 13
muncrun
Sorry, I think you're perceiving my meaning wrong. I meant that they wouldn't be 'ohhing' and 'ahhing' over your choice of university. But then again they won't be writing you off as a polytech failure whose degree they see as unworthy. In other words, it won't have an awful lot of bearing either way.

Oh yes I understand that. Russell group also includes Exeter, where I also can go instead of UEA. Would that change your answer to the original question?

I personally would have thought that if I'd gone to Liverpool, who are Russell group or UEA who aren't, it would be exactly the same.

UEA and Bristol is a different matter of course.
Reply 14
muncrun
Only established in 1994. It's gaining imortance though - in the future it will be of much greater significance in representing the difference between former polys and traditional institutions.

im gonna b startin at greenwich nxt month is dat bad? and where are you studyin?
Reply 15
muncrun
I'm sorry? If that's an insult then here's a piece of advice: insults are much more effective when they are spelt correctly.

dat was not an insult i thought wot u said sounded like gud advice dats all if i was insulting you i wud have made it clear
Reply 16
ColdFire
dat was not an insult i thought wot u said sounded like gud advice dats all if i was insulting you i wud have made it clear

Lol! Sorry mate! I didn't catch your meaning - there was a lack of grammar there that made it confusing!
Reply 17
muncrun
Lol! Sorry mate! I didn't catch your meaning - there was a lack of grammar there that made it confusing!

I take it my post no 14 shall remain unanswered at this time? :smile:
Reply 18
muncrun

no problemo, im used to txtin dats all so where r u goin university? and is greenwich bad?
Reply 19
ColdFire
im gonna b startin at greenwich nxt month is dat bad? and where are you studyin?

Anyway, to answer your question. Honestly. If you're looking at working in the Magic Circle or top 10 City law firms after you graduate, you're going to really struggle. I'm sorry to say this to you, but people from unis with very little in the way of reputation find it much more difficult to make it onto the ladder of the legal profession. You're going to have to work your balls off and do really well to get a training contract at all. What is possible, but much harder, is to start in a smaller commercial firm and move to a big one after qualification. This is difficult though, but not impossible.

If you're willing to really pull your finger out and excel over the next 6 years or so then I think you could have a chance. Your choice of uni is not the be-all and end-all. It is very uphill for you, but I think that if you excel in your studies and manage your career well, you might just make it.

Latest

Trending

Trending