The Student Room Group

Epithelial cells

How is their structure adapted to their function?

I already knew about microvilli and how they increase surface area for absorption, but I can't find any other examples of how. I've looked in my textbook, on the internet and in my notes and that is the only one I can find. But I need another example for this past paper question.

Can anyone help me please?
Reply 1
Yup, columnar epithelial cells possess microvilli and they found in the gut and as you say increase surface area. Goblet cells are also found among these which secrets mucus in the gut.

Squamous epithelium are found in the Bowman's Capsule in the kidneys, alveoli of the lungs and lining of the blood vessels. They are thin and flattened, which (e.g. in the case of alveoli) reduce the diffusion distance and therefore allowing faster diffusion of gases.

Hope that helps!
Reply 2
Excalibur
Yup, columnar epithelial cells possess microvilli and they found in the gut and as you say increase surface area. Goblet cells are also found among these which secrets mucus in the gut.

Squamous epithelium are found in the Bowman's Capsule in the kidneys, alveoli of the lungs and lining of the blood vessels. They are thin and flattened, which (e.g. in the case of alveoli) reduce the diffusion distance and therefore allowing faster diffusion of gases.

Hope that helps!

Hey Excalibur! Hope you are ok :biggrin:

Thanks for the help, but the question was about epithelial cells in the gut (although stupid me didn't really make that part very clear) as the question is about how epithelial cells in the small intestine are adapted to their function.

So if anyone has any ideas of what I could put that would be great :smile:
Reply 3
The lining of the epithelial cells in the small intestine is only one cell thick allowing for rapid diffusion into and out of the small intestine.
Reply 4
dancingbeth
Hey Excalibur! Hope you are ok :biggrin:

Thanks for the help, but the question was about epithelial cells in the gut (although stupid me didn't really make that part very clear) as the question is about how epithelial cells in the small intestine are adapted to their function.

So if anyone has any ideas of what I could put that would be great :smile:

Ah OK, sorry! Hmm, maybe you could say that among the epithelial cells there are goblet cells that secrete mucus - which helps with the lubrication of food & protection by stopping the secreted enzymes from digesting the gut cells themselves. Or maybe they contain lots of mitochondria for better active transport? There's also only one layer of epithelial cells reducing diffusion distance.... hmm, that's all I can think of :p:

I'm good thanks, and hope Year 12's going a bit better for you :smile:
Reply 5
How about including a bit about selective permeability, that's an adaption of the cell membrane??? Thus the Epithelial cell.
Ciliated epithelium - lots of mitochondria as they need alot of energy to move the cilia/villi
Squamous - very thin provides an ideal surface for diffusion
also in the small intestine they're adapted for co-transport.

Latest

Trending

Trending