The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Applying for both 'English' & 'English with Film Studies'

I'll definitely be applying to King's to read English Language & Literature this year, and was wondering if it'd be possible for me to apply for English with Film Studies as well. Has anyone ever done something similar?

In addition, do you think they'd mind if my personal statement was focused almost entirely on English rather than on Film Studies? I'll be applying for straight English courses everywhere else.

I've emailed the English department, but they usually take quite a while to reply, and I have to send off my UCAS form fairly soon (Oxford deadline).

Thanks,
Louis.
My girlfriend wants to apply for English and film at KCL and English elsewhere so I'd be interested to hear how people managed their Personal Statements!
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Reply 2
Um, I was always told that doing this wasn't a good idea, because it is often the same people who deal with the admissions for both courses, so either you get into both or you get into neither and since you only have 5 places you can apply to now that would be unwise. About the personal statement, again I'm not sure, I applied for English and creative writing at RHUL and my personal statement was geared towards English primarily so they only gave me an offer for that. I'm not sure this was the only reason, but I think it was.
My head of year is pressuring me to send of my UCAS form fairly soon, so any other information/advice would be much appreciated! (Yes, this is just a bump.)

Thanks,
Louis.
It is the same department, and same grades to get in, so you will probably be either accepted for both, or neither.

Anchor your personal statement to English, but say that you are really interested in film, and try and relate a levels or outside activities to film. You could say that you are interested in joining the film makers society at university or something.

It's risky applying for a similar course at the same uni, but if you have a place spare then you might as well, also if you can't choose between the two courses. What/where else are you applying for?

Quoted from the website: Roughly 60–70 people are currently accepted onto the single honours BA in English, and 10–15 onto the English with Film programme. In 2005–6 the Department received almost 1400 applications for these places. (so you are more likely to get into English) - http://www.kcl.ac.uk/schools/humanities/english/ug/faq.html
I see. Well, I'll probably just apply for English then; I'd rather study straight English than English with Film anyway.

My other choices are (probably): Oxford (Mansfield), UCL, Durham (Combined Hons. in Arts) and Leeds.

Thanks for the advice,
Louis.
Reply 6
Go for it but I think you should do a few sentences about film in your PS, even if it is focussed mainly on English. Hell, I mentioned film because I like it, and I applied for straight English everywhere....
Reply 7
I'm trying to choose between King's and Royal Holloway! What is the course like?
I only applied for straight English in the end, but the following email, received from the English department in response to a query a few months ago, might be helpful for anyone thinking of applying for both:

King's College London
It is fine for you to apply for English and English with Film Studies in the same year and it will not affect your chances of being accepted - each application will be considered on its own merits and in the context of the overall application for each course.

However, it would be important to mention an interest in Film for your English with Film application. We would need to see evidence of genuine interest in Film in order to take your application seriously.
You made a mistake, I do a straight Film BA at Kings and everyone I've spoken to on the Film & English course says that they love the Film module & hate the English ones.
itcouldbelupus
You made a mistake

I disagree -- I'm not actually interested enough in film to justify doing a degree in it, and am glad that I didn't apply for English with Film Studies in the end.
Reply 11
What's the English part of the course like? How versatile is it?
I'm in first year doing English with Film. I'd just apply for one: you can always change it when you get here. I know a few people who have added the 'film' part no trouble... just send a couple of emails... easy.

The English side is the most flexible in the country,as far as I can tell.

Latest