The Student Room Group

Further Maths Help

Right so i didnt know whether to put this topic here or somewhere else but whatever.......

Right Im studying Maths at A2 level and im thinking about studying it at University level.
I know you dont need further maths to go to Uni to do maths but I want to have sometihng extra to put on my application. And so I want to take an AS in further maths.

Is this possible as further maths at AS level will just whizz through all of the modules that I will do in normal maths?

Also im on edexcel board if that helps and I will probably do the further maths by myself. self taught.

thank you!
If you're serious about studying Maths at university, you should probably try to do the full Further Maths. I'm not a prospective Maths student, but this was the advice given to us in yr 12. Even if F. Maths is not strictly necessary, it should probably help when you get to uni. And it will help your application if you're looking at top unis.
Reply 2
Further maths isn't too much trouble to do by yourself. If you have a friend to do it with that would definitely help for motivation. If you have any trouble with it just ask your teachers, if they're anything like mine they'll be happy to help.
I'd suggest going to ask your teachers at school about how further maths is set up at your school as in my experience everywhere's set up is slightly different.

So yeah, go in tell then what you're thinking about university and about how you'd like to do further maths AS (I'm gonna say that doing the full A2 further maths along side A2 maths and other subjects is probably a bit too much for one year...but then I don't know how good you are at maths nor how much time you have free). It's probably good to emphasize how much you're willing to work for it too.

Then just see what options they say are open to you about it.

Best thing is to get in there as soon as possible in case you will be added to a class that is already ongoing - you don't want too much to catch up on :smile:

Good luck!

Latest