The Student Room Group

gap year - final decisions - argentina vs costa rica

hey, I'm planning on going to latin america in jan 08 for a language course followed by some social work.. the organisation I'm planning on doing this with offers this service in both countries, costa rica and argentina.. i was planning on going to costa rica because I love the caribbean but after having spoken with some people, I often hear that it "sounds" better on my cv if I'd go to argentina because everybody relates costa rica with hanging out on the beach.. considering that I may not even see the sea during my time in costa rica and argentina is an interesting country too, I was thinking about changing my destination from costa rica to argentina..

does anyone have know whether this is a good idea, maybe someone who has spent some time in argentina/costa rica?
thank you in advance
Reply 1
I don't think people associate costa rica with hanging out on the beach, really. I've never been but the first thing i think of is eco-tourism. But that's probably because i know a lot about gap year projects. Ultimately, go where you think you'll have the best time. However, as you're not doing conservation work, rather doing a language course and social work, argentina is a great choice, I think. It really is over to you. If you had your heart set on costa rica, go there. After all, you'll be putting on your that you did social work, which looks good regardless of where you did it. However, if you think you'd have an equally good time in Argentina, go there, because then you won't have the worry of what future employers will think hanging over you, whether that's justified or not.
Reply 2
When doing social work, I don´t think they will look to you as If you had been "lying on the beach" or something. Don´t worry about this at all!

I can talk to you or answer anything about Argentina as I live there and have been all my life. It is a beatiful country to visit, and I think Costa Rica too. Although beautiful, CR and Argentina seem so different in my opinion. In Argentina you have big cities of maybe 10.000.000 inhabitants and, in addition, marvelous places to visit such as Iguazu Falls or Perito Moreno glacier. Tell If you need any advice or extra information about Argentina!
Reply 3
maromad89
When doing social work, I don´t think they will look to you as If you had been "lying on the beach" or something. Don´t worry about this at all!

I can talk to you or answer anything about Argentina as I live there and have been all my life. It is a beatiful country to visit, and I think Costa Rica too. Although beautiful, CR and Argentina seem so different in my opinion. In Argentina you have big cities of maybe 10.000.000 inhabitants and, in addition, marvelous places to visit such as Iguazu Falls or Perito Moreno glacier. Tell If you need any advice or extra information about Argentina!

why are you replying to this thread like two years on?
Reply 4
bradburyj
why are you replying to this thread like two years on?

Sorry men. I haven´t seen the date.

Latest