The Student Room Group

Careers without too much sitting...

Ok... that was a weird thread title...

unfortunately, that's exactly what I mean, because I'm an Economics and Management student with some health issues that arose recently: basically, I can't sit for too long time, stay too much at the computer or answer phones.
(Although I honestly hope that my issues will heal soon, I'm anyway hmmm... put of by sitting in general, and I fear that such things will happen again)

My guess is that I will have to rule out most IB and Finance related careers, because from what I've seen, they don't really help mobilizing the body a lot.
I'm anyway put off by staying in the same office environments for too long, and I'm aiming at something where I can walk a lot, stand a lot, move a lot, speak in public and meet many people face-to-face.
(Sitting really sucks, even now, when I'm typing this at my laptop, it hurts!)

So... what would you suggest?
Teaching?
Journalism?

Also anything in the field of international relations and diplomacy (fields I also like) which don't require... sitting too much?
Anything?

Scroll to see replies

Teaching also involves marking work - which means hours of sitting down!
Ah, damn, you're right :biggrin:
Reply 3
Yes, teaching could perhaps be an valuable choice since you are moving a lot.

Though, most jobs require sitting more or less.. Is there any way you can get over these pains?

As you mentioned IR / Politics / Diplomacy would also mean a lot of work moving around, but also sitting.

Perhaps a museum guide / history teacher?
It doesn't sound like your health condition is significantly different from a disability. You should find most firms amenable to working round it. For example, could you cope with a desk job as long as you could get up and stretch/wander around every ten minutes or so?

Otherwise... sales comes to mind. It would matter what kind of sales - if you have to travel a lot then you'll end up spending as much time sitting in transport than you would otherwise sit at a desk - but the right job can mean lots of movement, while still using business skills.
Reply 5
Have you thought about field sales and marketing?
Reply 6
Hey, companies by law have to be really accomodating of things like this, so if there's anything that could help you like different chairs etc. they should be able to give you that.
Reply 7
stupid question: are you sure that these "problems" are not temporary? years ago when I used to sit down (or simply lie on the bed reading) basically doing jack**** for too long my heart would start skipping beats. At times the feeling was really severe and not too short; you really didn't want it happening. All the while the doctors said that my heart didn't have physical defects.

I was unfit at the time, and my body was growing very fast (I'm almost 2m now..). I started doing sports, going to the gym, weight lifting and basically doing cardio thus conditioning my heart, making this beat skipping syndrome basically stop, in both frequency and severity.

Don't think it applies to you, but hey, you never know. My hunch is that it's temporary and correctable. You have tried giving the family doctor a visit, right? Don't give up on your objectives :wink:

Btw, you have a pm.

ciao :wink:
Hey entertainer - you're at Bocconi? Wicked place. I'm gonna be in Milano as of Feb :wink:

I'm sure most companies will take this sort of thing into account and give you freedom to walk about and stuff. I can't see this being a problem, unless you are unable to sit still for more than 20 mins. My advice: don't worry about it.
Hey, Thanks everyone. I really appreciate all your advice.

It's not a disability, though it can probably escalate into one (or at least, severely chronic)... in the long run.
I'm aware of all the ergonomic dispositions at workplaces, but it's often difficult to pay attention to such things all the time - especially if you're an "insider" - and I don't know whether they're really efficient and totally healthy
(btw Our lectures started recently and even sitting and taking notes is getting pretty irritating)
So, if I want to stay healthy in the long run, the desk is simply not my habitat (and I don't want it to become).

BlackHawk, I shall explore field sales and marketing. Sounds pretty interesting. :smile: I also thought about tour guiding (which is something I've actually done so many times in the past)... yet I would prefer to do something making use of my current degree :P

So yes, I'll check the different paths in sales for now :smile:

fuglyduckling
Hey entertainer - you're at Bocconi? Wicked place. I'm gonna be in Milano as of Feb

Feel free to contact me for parties, concerts, nightlife, daylife, guided tours and whatever you need in Milan :biggrin:
Reply 10
Hi there. Authough you do not consider it a disability it may well fit into the definition of one for legal purposes. There are all sorts of adaptations which can be provided - and a (non means tested) govt scheme called access to work which can provide them. If you want to do a job which would require sitting - there would be ways around it. Lateral and creative thinking may be needed, but it could be done. Also, if you are having difficulties at uni (you mentioned notetaking etc) you may be eligable for a disabled students allowence. This is not just for people who consider themselves disabled but applies to all sorts of chronic things/stuff which can be exaserbated if not managed properly.
Uh... PR work?
Reply 12
the Tourism or the Hospitality industries are great for people who hate sitting and desk boredom. Have you thought about entering an airline or a hotel? BA has several positions abailable check www.britishairwaysjobs.com), and you have to check regularly for stuff like cabin crew that comes on an off... even if you dont get your perfect job to begin with those big companies are places where you can grow. i see ur degree from bocconi, so perhaps entering an industry with an entry-level position may be tough but it can show determination, drive and initiative, provided you want to stick with the company and you are looking for opportunities to grow.
Teaching
Retail
Flight attendants
Waiting tables
Catering
Firefighting
Gondolier
Reply 14
Tightrope Walker? That involves a lot of standing/walking.
geetar
Tightrope Walker? That involves a lot of standing/walking.

Hmm... how are the salaries in that industry? :biggrin:
Es*
Hi there. Authough you do not consider it a disability it may well fit into the definition of one for legal purposes. There are all sorts of adaptations which can be provided - and a (non means tested) govt scheme called access to work which can provide them. If you want to do a job which would require sitting - there would be ways around it. Lateral and creative thinking may be needed, but it could be done. Also, if you are having difficulties at uni (you mentioned notetaking etc) you may be eligable for a disabled students allowence. This is not just for people who consider themselves disabled but applies to all sorts of chronic things/stuff which can be exaserbated if not managed properly.

Okay... I'll try finding out what the university can offer. I slightly doubt that Italy is up to such standards, especially after asking my general practitioner for some certificate/document that states my condition. Her ambiguous reply:"Ah, come on... that's just chronic pain..." :rolleyes:

But we'll see, we'll see.
Reply 17
TheEntertainer
Hmm... how are the salaries in that industry? :biggrin:

I hear they've improved enormously in the past few years.
Reply 18
TheEntertainer
Okay... I'll try finding out what the university can offer. I slightly doubt that Italy is up to such standards, especially after asking my general practitioner for some certificate/document that states my condition. Her ambiguous reply:"Ah, come on... that's just chronic pain..." :rolleyes:

But we'll see, we'll see.

You are in Italy? I didn't realise - sorry. I have no idea of the schemes available there. The ones I mentioned (Access to work, disabled student allowence) are UK schemes.
Reply 19
armed forces

Latest

Trending

Trending