The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Missing Student - if you know anything PLEASE HELP

York police are extremely concerned for the welfare and safety of a student who has not been seen since the very early hours of Sunday morning.

Robert John Davies, aged 20, left Monty’s Bar in Micklegate, York at about 12.30am on Sunday 23 September, after a night out drinking with friends. He had stated his intention of walking home to his accommodation in Heslington Lane, but he never arrived.

He is described as 6’2” tall, with cropped dark hair and was wearing a black, long-sleeved shirt, blue jeans and slip-on shoes.

A team of 14 police officers and PCSO’s are currently involved in the search for him, retracing his likely route home. A police dog is searching the banks of the River Ouse and a boat search is expected to begin later today.

Anyone with any knowledge as to his whereabouts or who may have seen him since he left Monty’s bar is asked to contact York Police on 0845 60 60 24 7.

If you know anything at all, please, please call York Police.

Thanks.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
OMG. I hope they find him soon.
University of York
York
Reply 2

Bump. This is Rob Davies, he's from Bury and he's a thoroughly nice lad. Please keep a look out!
Reply 3
This is horrible. Did the police search find anything?
Reply 4
No, not yet. Here's an update from last night:

They have identified Rob and friends leaving Montey's bar and going into The Priory. Rob is seen at the bar, ordering a drink, and asks for water for his friends, who appear more drunk than himself.

Then his friends leave the bar, and Rob is seen leaving The Priory alone, still holding his glass.

He turns right and walks down Micklegate, leaves his glass at the side of the road, and talks to the bouncers outside Ziggy's before continuing down the road.

So we now know Rob was walking alone down Micklegate. The Priory barman apparently described him as "merry" but not wasted, and the police say that from what the CCTV shows, Rob was walking fine, not behaving erratically, and would not have been stopped by the police, had they seen him that night, because he seemed alright.

There's a Facebook group now for people to show support and catch up with the latest news: http://yorkuk.facebook.com/group.php?gid=6096851034
Poor guy. I really hope he turns up soon. :/
Reply 6
Hmm ... im worried about living off campus now...
Reply 7
Piska07
Hmm ... im worried about living off campus now...

I've wandered about in York by myself at night plenty of times and I'm still around to tell the tale. Part of why it's so shocking, other than the fact that I know him a little bit and his best friends a lot better, is that York always seems such a safe place. Also, we don't know what's happened to him. It might not involve anyone else at all.
Reply 8
York's a pretty damn safe place to live, but nowhere's perfect. I really wouldn't worry about living off campus.

The police have published a new appeal:

Police are appealing for any information in connection to the sudden and
unexpected disappearance of Robert Davies dob 20/11/86. Robert is a 3rd year
chemistry student at York University. He was reported missing on the afternoon
of Sunday 23rd September 2007 after he failed to return home from a night out
with friends. At the time of this report we can say that the last confirmed
sighting of Robert was approximately 0035hrs on Sunday 23rd September when he
tried to get into Ziggy's nightclub in Micklegate, York. Prior to this he had
been drinking in The Ackhorne Inn pub, Monty's and The Priory. We know that he
had consumed quite a lot of alcohol during the evening.

Despite extensive searches, poster and media campaigns and interviews with
friends and family and associates he has not been seen or heard from since.
This is highly unusual and out of character.

Rob was wearing denim trousers with a dark, long sleeve shirt (pin striped
style) and shoes. He was in possession of his Motorola mobile phone. Several
attempts have been made to try and contact Robert without success, messages
have been left for him to contact the Police.

We need to establish if Robert had any concerns or problems that he may have
disclosed. We need to establish if he had spoken of any intention to travel or
take leave without informing friends or family?. Has Robert tried to make
contact with anybody since? We need to establish what nightclubs/pubs Robert
frequented and what was his usual route home after a night out? Does anybody
have any other information where he may have gone to on this night?
Information will be treated in the strictest confidence.

His family are very concerned and any information to help us find Robert is
appreciated.

If anybody has any information in relation to his disappearance please contact
North Yorkshire Police on 08456060247.
Reply 9
Rob's family and friends are organising a search of town, asking people with a photo of Rob. If you're in York on Saturday night and want to help out, there's a Facebook event with all the details:

http://yorkuk.facebook.com/event.php?eid=6100093652
This is really awful, and he looks like such a friendly bloke.

Regards, hope he's OK.
I hope there is some good news about this soon :frown:

Always sorry to hear anything like this :frown:

And those of you worried about York as a place to live - having lived there for 5 of the last 6 years as a student at York Uni, events of missing people like this are pretty much unheard of, so no need to worry at all. York is probably as safe as anywhere in the UK to live :smile:
Reply 14
They've identified him as Rob.
Ah how sad. My sympathies to all who knew him. :frown:

xxx
Didn't something similar happen last year?

This is terribly sad :frown:

Sympathies to family and friends x
Is very sad news :frown:

white_haired_wizard
Didn't something similar happen last year?

This is terribly sad :frown:

Sympathies to family and friends x

Yes, I think it did - another student went missing just before term started and ended up being found in the river. Around the same time at least one other person fell in and drowned in the other river too :frown:
Roger Kirk
Is very sad news :frown:

Yes, I think it did - another student went missing just before term started and ended up being found in the river. Around the same time at least one other person fell in and drowned in the other river too :frown:

Was the previous circumstance suicide or accidental death?

It's so sad :frown:
white_haired_wizard
Was the previous circumstance suicide or accidental death?

It's so sad :frown:

I think it was accidental death, though this story doesn't say how he died: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/north_yorkshire/6063882.stm

Latest

Trending

Trending