The Student Room Group

What happens to your old module result??

It will be really helpful if someone could tell me: Do the universities find out about your previous results of a module which u have retaken???

suppose, someone got 80 in one of his units. He retakes & gets 90 next time. Will the universities find out about the '80'?
No, but they will find out that it was retaken.
Reply 2
generalebriety
No, but they will find out that it was retaken.

Ok. so, they will find out thet it was retaken but will they find out the date of the old module (the one the guy got '80' in) ???
SilentGirl
Ok. so, they will find out thet it was retaken but will they find out the date of the old module (the one the guy got '80' in) ???

It'll be obvious because that's when you took all your other modules.
Reply 4
They'll know the date of the original exam yes, but won't know the result in UMS marks.
I don't think it really matters??
As long as you end up with a better UMS mark.
Reply 5
NO.
im in a complicated situation.
I am an As level student. I completed only Gcse maths when i was in yr 10 & got an A*. so, in yr 11, i took c1 maths (jan 2007). After that, i didnt do any other maths module as i wanted to finish & concentrate on my other gcse subjects.

I was going to do c2 & one other maths unit in may 2008. Then, finish A2 maths during sept 2008 - may 2009.Thats means starting frm 2007 to 2009, im spending 3 years on my maths which UCL medical school wont accept. They said that my maths A-level will not be countable as i will be finishing it by 3 years. But, i am good at maths & i cant drop it to take another subject... so, taking my sixth form's advice i have decided to retake c1 module. When i fill in my ucas, i will give them the results of jan 2008 retake module. Now im scared & i dnt want them to find out about the c1 module which was done in jan 2007.
I got 94/100 for my jan 2007 exam. I dnt care if they find out about my ums marks...i got a high A previously..but i dnt want them to find out the dates.
Reply 6
Have you spoken to UCL and they told you this for definite? Did you explain the situation?
Reply 7
bonnie.grant
Have you spoken to UCL and they told you this for definite? Did you explain the situation?

yes, i emailed them. But, i think its unfair on me coz my old school made me take it. They should have known better. Im not being big headed but i think i should get credit for aking one of the As modules while at school. Its not like im an A-level student who did bad in one of the modules.

I informed my sixth form about it..they said if i retake i should be fine. The uni will not find out about my previous results.

LIFE sucks. After doing all the hard work...still theres obstacles on the way....

I hate my old school for this.
Reply 8
There are other universities out there apart form UCL you know, maybe you should consider them?
Why not see if declining that grade will help??? am not to sure though.
Reply 9
rolldeep786
There are other universities out there apart form UCL you know, maybe you should consider them?
Why not see if declining that grade will help??? am not to sure though.

my sixth form didnt say anything abt declining...my maths teacher she spoke to one of the staff who deals with uni applications. My maths teacher said it should be fine if i re-do it. i hate this. now its too late to take a 5th subject. i wil probably take furthur maths (AS) next year, if its possible. I dnt feel safe.
Reply 10
it is still possible to finish your A levels in two years, but it might involve getting a personal tutor etc, which i realise isn't always possible. But basically you have two more exam times when you can sit subjects, but thats only really a possibility if you really think you could do it.

I take it your in lower 6th? in which case its still possible to pick up an AS in upper 6th :smile:

Just don't worry yourself too much about it, there are always options!
If you're doing Maths am pretty sure most Uni's dont see Further Maths as an extra A/AS Level?
But what ever happens good luck with your application...
Reply 12
SilentGirl
NO.
im in a complicated situation.
I am an As level student. I completed only Gcse maths when i was in yr 10 & got an A*. so, in yr 11, i took c1 maths (jan 2007). After that, i didnt do any other maths module as i wanted to finish & concentrate on my other gcse subjects.

I was going to do c2 & one other maths unit in may 2008. Then, finish A2 maths during sept 2008 - may 2009.Thats means starting frm 2007 to 2009, im spending 3 years on my maths which UCL medical school wont accept. They said that my maths A-level will not be countable as i will be finishing it by 3 years. But, i am good at maths & i cant drop it to take another subject... so, taking my sixth form's advice i have decided to retake c1 module. When i fill in my ucas, i will give them the results of jan 2008 retake module. Now im scared & i dnt want them to find out about the c1 module which was done in jan 2007.
I got 94/100 for my jan 2007 exam. I dnt care if they find out about my ums marks...i got a high A previously..but i dnt want them to find out the dates.

Right - first off unfortunately this '3 year rule' applies to quite a number of medical schools, eg Liverpool, KCL and many more. The best option in this instance would be to take up an additional subject eg Further Maths, since medical schools say that if both FM and Maths are taken then only one will be counted. In this case they can't actually count Maths due to their own rules of 3-year work etc so FM would be one of your 3 acceptable A2 levels.
No point retaking C1 since you already have an excellent UMS mark, take up FP1 instead. A little more work, but thoroughly worth it in the end.

Universities won't find out about your previous UMS score/module grade unless you apply to Cambridge, since you have to fill out a module sheet for them which details every resit, complete with exact UMS marks etc and date taken.
Reply 13
i will probably have to finish a-level maths by this summer...my college will let me knw tomorrow.

Latest