The Student Room Group
Reply 1
my dad will buy me one., the only thing they need is their card no. and ur addy i think..but my tv dnt work in the god forsaken uni so theres nothing to do...:eek:

Dmu (why the hell am i here?)
Reply 2
Anyone can buy them - it's the address that is licensed, not the person. All they are interested in is your name and address, and whether the TV is black and white or colour.

www.tvlicensing.co.uk
Doesn't it currently cost £135 give or take a couple of £?
yeah it does, but at the end of the year you can claim back on any of the tv license still remaining, so assuming you have a 4 month summer holiday you'll be able to claim back £44 or so,
Reply 5
Yeah - its £135 for a year. Your parents can buy it anywhere as long as they have your address (they can phone up or even do it online) Otherwise they could always give you the cash to go and do it yourself.
Reply 6
Will they actually check if you have a colour/black & white TV?
Reply 7
Ossie1701
Will they actually check if you have a colour/black & white TV?

Well, they won't "check" anything if you don't give them permission to.

However yes, they will ask to see if you are indeed using a black and white instead of a colour, just as they'd ask if you denied you had a television.
daniel_williams
yeah it does, but at the end of the year you can claim back on any of the tv license still remaining, so assuming you have a 4 month summer holiday you'll be able to claim back £44 or so,

Or an easier way is to pay quartly/monthly by direct debit & cancel it when you move out of halls. You may want to pay it all off at once as it works out slightly cheaper doing it that way & with your parents paying, I'm presuming this is the easiest option.

& yeah, it doesn't matter who's name is on it, as long as you can provide the paperwork should some TV licence person come knocking at your door.
Reply 9
daniel_williams

I thought you were only able to reclaim whole unused quarters (so periods of 3 months)?
loopymeg
I thought you were only able to reclaim whole unused quarters (so periods of 3 months)?

i think ti depends how you pay for it. because I was tald that you could claim back whatever you didn't use.. but I could have been mislead, in which case it will be about £33 you will be able to claim back, which is still better than than nothing at all and having a pointless tv license.
Dramatic Star
& yeah, it doesn't matter who's name is on it, as long as you can provide the paperwork should some TV licence person come knocking at your door.

well they need a search warrant to get into your place so you can always refuse them access :wink:

Latest