The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Glad you agree with me about figures and stuff, but I'm really confused by what you mean about the clothes themselves looking better. Do you mean they look intrinsically more well-made or pretty on tall/thin people?
Reply 81
^ Immagine going in a store and you're like "Woow what a nice sweater" and then u go and try it on and you're like "Wooow what an aweful sweater"*.. when u first saw the sweater, u saw it as "itselve" and it was looking good.. so if i'm watching a fashion show i want to see clothes as i would seen them in a store (as they actually are), thats why i agree that models are supposed to be skinny and tall, in case models would be really curvy i'd be admiring the girl who wears the certain style (that fits her body type), cause she looks good in those clothes and not clothes as itselves (as product, design, or whatever).

*it was an example :smile:)
Reply 82
That does kind of make sense, yeah.

Although for me, I'd much rather see how clothes look on more average-sized people, to give me a better idea of how they'd look on me! But I guess that's not what the catwalks are for - they're to show off the awesomeness of the clothes to other clothes experts, not to convince the general public to buy something similar-looking.

This has been a very enlightening thread!
Reply 83
:biggrin: they should make 2 runways ..one titled "This is how clothes look like." and the other one "This is how you will look like." :biggrin:
Reply 84
That would be pretty awesome.

Much I don't follow fashion, I'm glad that the current season seems to allow for more diversity of shapes and styles... I remember a year ago or so it was nigh-on impossible to find something flattering and pretty in the high street! (Lucky for me I mostly buy from charity shops and weirder independent places, lol)
Reply 85
more adventurous
You read waaaaaaaay too many tabloid newspapers if you expected size zero to look skinnier than that! :s-smilie: It's only one size smaller than size 8, which I'm sure everyone would consider to be normal!

Well read the rest of my argument. Firstly by my calculation it would be a size 4 not a size 6 but even if it IS a size 6 no tall woman should be a size 6. And she hardly looks petite to me.
Reply 86
Bekaboo

Well read the rest of my argument. Firstly by my calculation it would be a size 4 not a size 6 but even if it IS a size 6 no tall woman should be a size 6. And she hardly looks petite to me.

Stop telling people what size they should be. Jesus Christ. Why can't people just be left alone? Fashion looks better the thinner the person is because high fashion clothes are designed to be works of art, not to be a figure fixer. They aren't telling you what size to be, they are merely indicating a "serving suggestion". You don't have to kit your kitchen out as an identical copy of Nigella Lawson's just to make her recipes, and no-one forces you to change your figure to wear the clothes.
Bekaboo

We're talking about clothes sizes, not mathematics. It has nothing to do with calculations.

And I am claiming that she ISN'T a 0 (or a 4 or a 6). She weighs less than five stones, ffs.
Reply 88
allymcb2
Stop telling people what size they should be. Jesus Christ. Why can't people just be left alone?

That wasn't a what size people should be, that was a what-size-their-bodies-can-healthily-be. We've met Grace, you've seen my rib cage. If I were a size 10 I would look like I was anorexic. Most women of my height (which is a pretty standard height for a model) have a similar bone structure. I fail to believe that any model of 5'10 or above can healthily achieve a size 6.

moreadventurous
We're talking about clothes sizes, not mathematics. It has nothing to do with calculations.
And I am claiming that she ISN'T a 0 (or a 4 or a 6). She weighs less than five stones, ffs.

Ah right sorry I think we have our wires crossed. I didn't mean I was doing some super calculation - I just meant that I've always assumed, and heard other people assume that that's what it was - because it seems logical.
Also didn't read the article so didn't realise she weighed that little.
Reply 89
Bekaboo
That wasn't a what size people should be, that was a what-size-their-bodies-can-healthily-be. We've met Grace, you've seen my rib cage. If I were a size 10 I would look like I was anorexic. Most women of my height (which is a pretty standard height for a model) have a similar bone structure. I fail to believe that any model of 5'10 or above can healthily achieve a size 6.

I've known 2 persons in my life that were healthy at size 6. One of my best friends is 5'9 (pushing 5'10) and size 6, sometimes even 4 and yes she does look skinny, but she looks heathy too. She will never be anything bigger no matter how much she will eat, cause she has that kind of methabolism. I'm 5'6 and size 6 and if i'd eat what she eats i'd be size 14. So, yes I do belive that there are some people who are 5'10, size 6 and healthy, but i have to agree that most of the models aren't.
more adventurous
Where are you getting your information from? Let me guess - The Sun? The Daily Mirror?

Let's put it this way. Is there standardised sizing in Britain? No. Is there standardised sizing in the USA? No. So, do you really, honestly, think that there is standardised sizing transatlantically? US clothes manufacturers DO NOT size their clothes according to British sizes. The only thing that a size 0 "is" is the next size smaller than a 2 in the same shop. That's the ONLY THING. There is no such thing as "US size 0 is a UK size 4." It just doesn't work like that.

However, I grew up in the USA and now I spend two thirds of the year in the UK and one third of the year in the US. As you can imagine, I shop in both places. In US clothing, I wear a size 0 (or sometimes a 2). In UK clothing, I wear a size 6 (or sometimes an 8). Size 0s fit me the same as size 6s. And my body does not change between the US and the UK. Therefore, after trying on a huge sample size of clothing in both sizes, I can easily conclude that a US size 0 is most similar to a UK size 6. As I already said, unless you've tried on a significant amount of size 6 and size 0 clothing in both the UK and the US, just accept I know a bit more about this than you do.

P.S. My waist is about 25 1/2".

Size charts do not reflect the reality. Take my size 0 Gap jeans, for example. According to their size chart, a size 0 is 33" hips (or something like that). But in reality, the jeans measure 36" around the hips.

And what would that be?

amen. seriously, why on earth does everyone believe the crap about size zero in the papers when they've never even tried on anything in that size. i'm also a size 6/8 and 0/2 in American sizes. it is NOT a size four. and to be honest, if models of minimum height 5'8 or 9 WERE a size four, they wouldn't actually be in a fit state to walk unaided down a catwalk. lol American stuff just has worse vanity sizing than over here is all.

(note - I'm not saying that all models are healthy - they probably aren't. at my size and a height of 5'8 I'm still fairly underweight, and for a lot of people that wouldn't come naturally, although for some it probably is. anyway the whole debate is boring me to tears now, and it annoys me that papers the the Sun use the 'omg size FOUR' thing as a way to create drama when it isn't even true. especially next to diet ads:rolleyes: )

Latest

Trending

Trending