The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sehnsucht
Yeah, it's total *******s. Am bored!

Oh thank god for that. :p:

Snorty
Am I the only one who thinks this is a thinly veiled attempt at bragging?

There was no need to post the AS grades or the fine details of the uni courses. Could have said "some girl is applying for the same courses but has better grades".
Reply 21
Sehnsucht
Yeah, I'm afraid so.

Only if you really wanted to study in Oxford or London though. Both of those have a policy of taking a maximum of one person from each school. So if they accept your friend they won't be allowed, by law, to accept you.

But hey - you can always take a gap year?

Are you serious?!?! Only one person for the course/department or for the whole university?! That is impossible seriously.. think about schools like Seven Oaks (IB boarding school in the UK) who have an average of something like 43 points over 45 in the IB. Or the Atlantic World College in Wales.. LOADS of people from those schools go to Oxford LSE etc and no one makes selections between them.. they're all good!
Reply 22
I can sort of see where the OP's coming from - I'd like to see Uni as a fresh start and that'll be a bit hard if someone knows the 'old' you. But chill, just because she's applying for the same places doesn't mean that you'll both get exactly the same offers and you'll both end up going to the same place.
chrysalis7
Are you serious?!?! Only one person for the course/department or for the whole university?! That is impossible seriously.. think about schools like Seven Oaks (IB boarding school in the UK) who have an average of something like 43 points over 45 in the IB. Or the Atlantic World College in Wales.. LOADS of people from those schools go to Oxford LSE etc and no one makes selections between them.. they're all good!

Heard of humour?
boys-play-rock-and-roll
I can sort of see where the OP's coming from - I'd like to see Uni as a fresh start and that'll be a bit hard if someone knows the 'old' you. But chill, just because she's applying for the same places doesn't mean that you'll both get exactly the same offers and you'll both end up going to the same place.

There are enough people at uni to never have to see people you did know at school if you don't want to.
LOL - i love the lack of understanding of scarcasm that some people display!
As for this girl, unless it so happens that she is also applying to the same Oxford college as you, intends to nick your personal statement and copy it, and often wears the exact same clothes as you do into school i really wouldn't worry. If it just so happens that she does do the above things then make sure you apply for something like theology...
Reply 26
naddles
Theres also your personal statement

Exactly - one mussn't forget that in the grand scheme of things, grades aren't everything
Reply 27
calcium878
Heard of humour?

she/he sounded serious lol..
Reply 28
It's no problem - it happens all the time. There are about twenty girls at my school applying to read medicine, and they're all applying to similar unis with similar grades (and some to the same unis with the same grades). It makes sense if you think about it: they're all smart, and they all want a good course, so they gravitate to the same universities.

And grades aren't everything, as others have said. They look at references, personal statements, and (in some cases) your interview.

Though it might be an idea to check you're not applying to the same college at Oxford as the girl in question.
Reply 29
chrysalis7

I'm guessing you're not studying humour or common sense. Am I right?
awww, it's okay we've all done it.... also some people do come on here, say stuff like that and actually mean it... which i think is the funniest part....
Terrafire
Chemistry and Physics is probably marginally better regarded than Biology and Economics, so I don't think the grade difference will be too much of a factor.

seriously as i have done both economics and biology, or is this just relevant to mathematics??..........
Snorty
Am I the only one who thinks this is a thinly veiled attempt at bragging?

how is it bragging? shes applying there, she hasn't got offers from those Universities. Besides, if her PS/Logic etc is as intelligent as this thread is...then she probably wont get in either way.
chrysalis7

:troll:
akademic
seriously as i have done both economics and biology, or is this just relevant to mathematics??..........

meh, what they mean is that in their mind, they think people are smarter if they took the former subjects. it depends who you talk to as to what they regard most highly.... i took a philosophy a level and i'm a med student now.....
bright star
meh, what they mean is that in their mind, they think people are smarter if they took the former subjects. it depends who you talk to as to what they regard most highly.... i took a philosophy a level and i'm a med student now.....

lol i've taken philopshy as well,

i'm applying for PPE so and i've done economics and biology (maths as well) at a-level........

the only concern i have is with biology, the reason i took it is because i enjoy it more then chemistry and physics as i find it more interesting........

probably just being paranoid, but do you ever think, say 2 candidates are similar put any weight on one doing chemistry or physics a-level to a biology a-level?
depends what you're applying for... if you're applying for physics then probably yes, if we're talking about history of art, i'd wager no..... usually if somewhere prefers a set subject over another they'll tell you, you're not telepathic. if they don't say anything, then i wouldn't worry about it.
Reply 37
According to that subject strength list provided by Oxford (maybe?) physics and chemistry would be slightly stronger than biology and economics. I wouldn't worry though, it hardly makes a difference that someone else is applying :rolleyes:
Reply 38
I would recommend not applying to the same Oxford college, but other than that it shouldn't make any difference
lol Goodkate & Juno - i didn't post the original question regarding someone else applying lol (as i wouldn't be too worried about something like that, i was just asking a question on subject choices, but thanks for the help anyways :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending