The Student Room Group
I thought the idea was to apply for universities you have the grades for. Obviously, it's free choice, but most people seem to suggest one that matches your predicted grades exactly, two that match what you're fairly certain you'll get, and two backups that are below the other two sections in case you really screw up.
Reply 2
i wouldn't advise aiming higher than you're likely to get; a friend of mine applied to an AAB uni when she was predicted BBB or thereabouts (possibly ABB) and was rejected almost immediately.

given that predicted grades are usually either accurate or may've been increased (certainly at my school we were allowed to ask for our predictions to be increased if we felt it was unfair/were applying to AAA unis), i'd've thought unis wouldn't treat lower predicted grades all that favourably? just my opinion though.
Reply 3
Pippaaa
i wouldn't advise aiming higher than you're likely to get; a friend of mine applied to an AAB uni when she was predicted BBB or thereabouts (possibly ABB) and was rejected almost immediately.

given that predicted grades are usually either accurate or may've been increased (certainly at my school we were allowed to ask for our predictions to be increased if we felt it was unfair/were applying to AAA unis), i'd've thought unis wouldn't treat lower predicted grades all that favourably? just my opinion though.

What GCSE grades did your friend get?
Reply 4
not quite sure; mostly As and Bs i think, perhaps the odd A* and C. not exceptional, but not awful either.
Reply 5
My sister works in admissions at a russell group uni and she says that they make offers even when people are predicted grades lower than the offer level. They know that predictions are only predictions. They might turn you down if you're predicted Ds and Es, but if you need As and you're predicted Bs they might make you an offer and then the onus is on you to make the grade if you go firm. The main thing is to be honest with yourself about what you're capable of.

Latest

Trending

Trending