The Student Room Group

German Speaking Exams 2017 - AQA, Edexcel, WJEC etc.

I was just gonna make a thread on AQA but there's hardly anyone on this forum and IRL doing German so lmao let's all share a thread.

So who's EXCITED/SCARED/TERRIFIED/READY/NOT READY for the German speaking exams and when are yours?! They all have to be done by the first week of May I think and ours is on the 28th April ahhhh.

I'm so worried about the um um cultural topic, i forgot everything about the Berlin section and my Musician section is lacking in content too :s-smilie: but we've done a few practice mocks and I'm definitely not as bad as I think I am, I just end up using the same points over and over which sucks.

So yes how are you feeling/how are you preparing etc. I'm really stuck on how to revise this :s-smilie: so any tips woudl be good :s-smilie:
Reply 1
I am terrified but I mean I was last year too and it was ok, mines on the 5th of May and I am feeling ok about the content I just panic under pressure. I have just been writing answers to potential questions and I've been doing a card every week in class, and had speaking practise with three different people each week, but I still feel like I need another way to revise 😬
(edited 7 years ago)
Gibt es denn bestimmte sprachliche Dinge, denen ihr beim Lernen ausgewichen seid, oder die ihr klammheimlich aufgeschoben habt? Seid ehrlich, Leute! :pika:
Reply 3
Original post by Krokodilo
Gibt es denn bestimmte sprachliche Dinge, denen ihr beim Lernen ausgewichen seid, oder die ihr klammheimlich aufgeschoben habt? Seid ehrlich, Leute! :pika:

eig nein :redface: naja ich hab gesagt, dass ich versuchen würde, Redepartikeln zu lernen und leider bin ich noch nicht so gut in dem Nutzen von Redepartikeln :/. aber zum Glück sind sie nicht unentbehrlich zur Prüfung - stattdessen werden das Passiv, Konjunktiv und bestimmte Ausdrücke von der Prüfern geschätzt.

ich hab Probleme hauptsächlich bei dem Nutzen von "Meinungsausdrücke" (z.B. Meines Erachtens, Ich sehe das genauso), weil es mir komisch klingt, die mit Nachdruck zu nutzen. Ach hat meine Lehrerin auch gesagt, dass meine Intonation sehr "englisch" ist. Meine Stimme steigert sich beim Ende eines Satzes und das ist ja sehr "nichtdeutsch".

ehrlich gesagt hätte ich doch meine Vorbereitung im Januar begonnen sollen, allein ich bin sehr faulllllllll. :-(

entschuldigung im Voraus wegen der Fehler.
Reply 4
Original post by Anna1909
I am terrified but I mean I was last year too and it was ok, mines on the 5th of May and I am feeling ok about the content I just panic under pressure. I have just been writing answers to potential questions and I've been doing a card every week in class, and had speaking practise with three different people each week, but I still feel like I need another way to revise 😬

We've been doing lots of practise too but like you I still don't think it's enough :s-smilie:

Because our teacher has essentially given us a list of questions she could ask for the cultural topics, I can have a rough idea of what to say on each answer, but more importantly for each possible question I'm going to memorise 2 complicated-ass grammatical sentences (1 to start the answer and 1 for near the end) to save me worrying about complex grammar during the actual question.
Original post by Inexorably
I was just gonna make a thread on AQA but there's hardly anyone on this forum and IRL doing German so lmao let's all share a thread.

So who's EXCITED/SCARED/TERRIFIED/READY/NOT READY for the German speaking exams and when are yours?! They all have to be done by the first week of May I think and ours is on the 28th April ahhhh.

I'm so worried about the um um cultural topic, i forgot everything about the Berlin section and my Musician section is lacking in content too :s-smilie: but we've done a few practice mocks and I'm definitely not as bad as I think I am, I just end up using the same points over and over which sucks.

So yes how are you feeling/how are you preparing etc. I'm really stuck on how to revise this :s-smilie: so any tips woudl be good :s-smilie:

HI,

I'm doing AQA German too, but I'm in year 12. Can you tell me what happens in the speaking exam please? It seems scary and my teachers are being very vague. I know that they want me to start researching something though - which I haven't started doing

Thanks
Reply 6
Original post by niv1234
HI,

I'm doing AQA German too, but I'm in year 12. Can you tell me what happens in the speaking exam please? It seems scary and my teachers are being very vague. I know that they want me to start researching something though - which I haven't started doing

Thanks

You're on the new spec so I actually have no idea what happens in your speaking exam, sorry :frown: I did the old spec-stye. I think if you look around on your exam board's website they usually have document guidance for students/teachers on what happens in the exam.
Original post by Inexorably
You're on the new spec so I actually have no idea what happens in your speaking exam, sorry :frown: I did the old spec-stye. I think if you look around on your exam board's website they usually have document guidance for students/teachers on what happens in the exam.

Oh ok thanks! Good luck with yours!
Reply 8
Oooh that's a really good idea!!! I might do the same! I feel relatively ok about the film and the play I have studied it's just like certain non cultural topics, but I guess I can just avoid them if I get another card on a topic I do like. I struggle with fluency, I always seem to get 4/5 which is good but it's cause I spend like 3 seconds before a few sentences thinking about it's right or not so I get higher grammar marks, but I am not sure if it's worth thinking about 🤔

Me too! I can speak, but my mind goes blank under pressure😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oooh that's a really good idea!!! I might do the same! I feel relatively ok about the film and the play I have studied it's just like certain non cultural topics, but I guess I can just avoid them if I get another card on a topic I do like. I struggle with fluency, I always seem to get 4/5 which is good but it's cause I spend like 3 seconds before a few sentences thinking about it's right or not so I get higher grammar marks, but I am not sure if it's worth thinking about 🤔

I think grammar is worth 15 marks right? So if it doesn't really impact the flow of the conversation too much then I think it's a good idea to spend a few seconds thinking about the grammar. You're more likely to make mistakes if you rush which will only make you more nervous :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
i'm doing aqa AS german this year and mines on april 27th :frown: i've not done as much prep as i would've liked this past week so i'm going to try and use the second week of holiday as productively as i can. i just can't wait till it's over tbh, the speaking is the main one I'm nervous about
That's exactly what I was thinking but my teacher said that like I only make rare mistakes so I might lose say one mark for the mistakes but I could potentially lose 2 for fluency so I am undecided 😬 Does anyone have any idea or predictions for what the speaking cards might be?! Everything I think could be one I find out there is already one on it 😂
Reply 13
Oh I never even try and predict the speaking cards because there's just too many and its sooOOoooOOoo variable, but there will most likely be a 'modern' one focused on technology (not space) wihout a doubt.
So how did it go?

I had my German AS speaking last Friday and personally I thought the cards were so difficult, in comparison to previous cards.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending