The Student Room Group

Don't really feel I know much

I have just begun my AS course, and so hopefully I will be having my interview in about a year. I desparately want to read history - it's all just coming together for me at the moment in lessons. The only problem is, I genuinely feel that I actually have very limited historical knowlegde beyond what we've covered in class over the years. I'm a very keen debator and love current affairs and ideas, I'm just worried about my sketchy 'extra-curriculor' history.

Is a year too short a time to read a lot and turn this around?

Are interviews / HAT tests more about what you know/ understand about the past or how you think and respond to new information?
jelly fish
I have just begun my AS course, and so hopefully I will be having my interview in about a year. I desparately want to read history - it's all just coming together for me at the moment in lessons. The only problem is, I genuinely feel that I actually have very limited historical knowlegde beyond what we've covered in class over the years. I'm a very keen debator and love current affairs and ideas, I'm just worried about my sketchy 'extra-curriculor' history.

Are interviews / HAT tests more about what you know/ understand about the past or how you think and respond to new information?

A year is a very long time, back at the start of AS I wouldn't have even considered studying my degree subject seriously and hadn't read anything around it. You have lots of time to improve your background knowledge. Firstly, they will be more interested I would think in your curriculum stuff, but it would be good for your PS to read some books perhaps in areas that interest you.
Reply 2
can't really answer your question on interviews as mine was a hellish experience and i seem to have erased that twenty minutes from my mind. however, the hat test question i can answer. it's not really on what you know so much as yes, how you think and understand the questions -- you're asked to answer questions with regard to historical periods you know, but those can be ones you've studied. there's also a section where you're shown a source from a period you're not likely to have studied and asked to analyse it.
Reply 3
jelly fish

You sound exactly like I felt 2 years ago. I had quite a limited historical knowledge and to be honest, its not great now and I'm off to Oxford to study History tomorrow. Basically, just try your best to prepare yourself over the following year, but don't go mad. Try to read a couple of books in a period you find interesting e.g. I'm interested in revolution, so I read 'Citizens by Simon Schama' on the French Revolution and a book or two on the 'Russian Revolution'. In addition, I think a great place to start is by subscribing to 'BBC History Magazine' as it gives you a flavour of the real diversity of history.

To further answer your question, a year is certainly not too short a time. Perhaps if you could also try to get involved in some kind of historical project. For example, over the summer of Yr12/13 I did a few days work experience with an initiative called 'Their Past Your Future' which promotes digital storytelling and intergenerational contact. Basically anything related to history that you find interesting.

I had two interviews, one which was based principally on the essay I sent in (though it did leave room to mention other historians and their role in historical debate) and the other on a piece of text which I had to analyse. I don't think you can prepare too much for interview, just know your essay and different interpretaions of the period. The text is pretty much an on the spot thing (or at least it was for me) and I think that all you can do is try your best.

Finally, I found the HAT very difficult and scored "fairly average" marks in it, though I still got an interview and then an offer. With the HAT, all you can do is try a few past papers and brush up on your AS level historical knowledge (as there's a question which asks you to apply your own knowledge to answer it i.e. "outline how social and economic factors have influenced change in a period you are familiar with").

Sorry about the overlong post. I hope it makes you feel a little easier and encourages you to apply to Oxford. Cheers!
Reply 4
F1 fanatic
A year is a very long time, back at the start of AS I wouldn't have even considered studying my degree subject seriously and hadn't read anything around it. You have lots of time to improve your background knowledge. Firstly, they will be more interested I would think in your curriculum stuff, but it would be good for your PS to read some books perhaps in areas that interest you.

That's reassuring. :smile:
Reply 5
I completely agree with F1 fanatic. Same situation. I hadn't even considered the subject I'm applying for right now a year ago; in fact, I only decided a couple of months ago. But now I feel like I am a pretty good applicant, and I certainly don't feel like I don't know enough compared to others. Reading doesn't always take a lot of time.

Latest

Trending

Trending