The Student Room Group

AS Official Edexcel 1 Psychology 2017

This is the official thread for this unit. Please message me any resources you find useful and I will post them here to the original post.

In case you guys may have not known, Technocrat Notes have recently released their app for the apple app store. just click the link to get it.

Now on Apple App store and Google play - The Technocrat Notes App

Appstore

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/technocrat-notes/id1111953817?ls=1&mt=8

Google Play

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.Technocratnotes.a pp&hl=en_GB

Websites

www.technocratnotes.com I very much recommend you download their app it is quite awesome.
here it is https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...s.app&hl=en_GB

http://www.slideshare.net/jamiedavies/unit1-revision

https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...17218890,d.ZWU

Video

A LEVEL SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY CONTEMPORARY STUDY: BURGER 2009 (AO1 SUMMARY)
https://youtu.be/T7crUnVnX_Q

A LEVEL BIOLOGICAL PSYCHOLOGY CLASSIC STUDY: RAINE ET AL (AO1 SUMMARY)

https://youtu.be/2qNn5cEy1QQ

credit and to Thanks to Workangel_24 for sending me these beautiful sites for psychology!! ~ revisewithrachie.com
~ http://www.tutor2u.net/psychology (a great website!)
~ http://www.brain-freeze.co.uk/psychologyasnotes.html (simple revision notes, essays and mindmaps)
~ http://www.psychlotron.org.uk (No 1 psych revision website)
~ http://www.psychology4a.com/memory.html
~ http://www.resourcd.com/@psychexchange (Lots of resources!)
~ https://www.tes.com/teaching- resources/hub/psychology/ (Great website full of resources)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Psychologywizard is a really good revision website!
Reply 2
Is this for the exam on monday?
Reply 3
Original post by fauziaa
Is this for the exam on monday?

I believe so.
Reply 4
Any predictions for what will come up?
Reply 5
Original post by fauziaa
Any predictions for what will come up?

For the social approach it is unlikely to be studies for the 8 marker(s) as 2 studies came up last year for the 8 markers so I think the 8 marker is either going to be evaluate a theory or apply a theory to a scenario. For the shorter answers I think the key question is likely to come up and probably research methods and studies but not too sure about that. For the cognitive approach I have no idea but I hope there are statistical tests and graphs.
The 12 marker for the specimen paper was about questionnaires and lab experiments and the 12 marker in 2016 was about quantitative data and qualitative data so I doubt there will be another one on research methods but I have no idea what it could be since the cognitive approach and social approach dont have many links in terms of the theories and content. Do you have any ideas?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 6
Also does anyone know how long they are going to spend on the 8 markers and 12 marker? Worried that more than 2 8 markers will come up since that was what happened last year. Anyone else think grade boundaries are likely to be low? Not as low as last year since that would be extreme but no higher than 70% for an A surely? Although in this paper it is so hard to know if you got the marks as it is so subjective and dependent on the examiner.
Reply 7
Original post by new1234
For the social approach it is unlikely to be studies for the 8 marker(s) as 2 studies came up last year for the 8 markers so I think the 8 marker is either going to be evaluate a theory or apply a theory to a scenario. For the shorter answers I think the key question is likely to come up and probably research methods and studies but not too sure about that. For the cognitive approach I have no idea but I hope there are statistical tests and graphs.
The 12 marker for the specimen paper was about questionnaires and lab experiments and the 12 marker in 2016 was about quantitative data and qualitative data so I doubt there will be another one on research methods but I have no idea what it could be since the cognitive approach and social approach dont have many links in terms of the theories and content. Do you have any ideas?

Yeah i agree with you, i dont think a study will come up as an 8 marker in social but i'm lowkey praying that it'll be milgram or his variations & i do think key question will come up as none of the papers last year had any, I reckon cognitive will have more about the memory theories this year as there wasn't much last year & also the practical may come up as an 8 marker maybe +
I reckon the 12 marker will probably be a study but i'm not sure, my teacher said 3 8 markers are less likely this year as there was a lot of backlash last year when they put 3 in.

Also, in stats for cognitive what tests do you need to know?
Reply 8
Original post by new1234
Also does anyone know how long they are going to spend on the 8 markers and 12 marker? Worried that more than 2 8 markers will come up since that was what happened last year. Anyone else think grade boundaries are likely to be low? Not as low as last year since that would be extreme but no higher than 70% for an A surely? Although in this paper it is so hard to know if you got the marks as it is so subjective and dependent on the examiner.

I don't think they'll put 3 8 markers in this year, i tend to spend around 18 minutes on 12 markers & then 13-14 minutes on the 8 markers, it just depends on how hard the rest of the paper is tbf
Reply 9
Original post by fauziaa
Yeah i agree with you, i dont think a study will come up as an 8 marker in social but i'm lowkey praying that it'll be milgram or his variations & i do think key question will come up as none of the papers last year had any, I reckon cognitive will have more about the memory theories this year as there wasn't much last year & also the practical may come up as an 8 marker maybe +
I reckon the 12 marker will probably be a study but i'm not sure, my teacher said 3 8 markers are less likely this year as there was a lot of backlash last year when they put 3 in.

I feel like the practical investigation is too easy to be an 8 marker as people could easily make it all up. I hope there isn't but the only problem with that is that it might mean the grade boundaries are significantly higher? What do you think the grade boundaries will be like this year ? The Mann Whitney U test and the Wilcoxon test are the ones named in the specification under the cognitive approach but as they give formulas for all 4 i dont know if that could mean the other two might come up even though they are in the biological and learning section of the specification.
Original post by fauziaa
I don't think they'll put 3 8 markers in this year, i tend to spend around 18 minutes on 12 markers & then 13-14 minutes on the 8 markers, it just depends on how hard the rest of the paper is tbf

How many paragraphs do you write for an 8 marker? I struggle with timings so much and think I will need at least 20 minutes for the 12 marker. Are you answering the 12 markers and 8 markers first?
Original post by new1234
I feel like the practical investigation is too easy to be an 8 marker as people could easily make it all up. I hope there isn't but the only problem with that is that it might mean the grade boundaries are significantly higher? What do you think the grade boundaries will be like this year ? The Mann Whitney U test and the Wilcoxon test are the ones named in the specification under the cognitive approach but as they give formulas for all 4 i dont know if that could mean the other two might come up even though they are in the biological and learning section of the specification.

yeah i think its just the wilcoxon and mann whitney u & i think because it was the first year of the new spec last year, maybe that's why the grade boundaries were so low but it really just depends on the paper and how everyone else does tbh.
Original post by new1234
How many paragraphs do you write for an 8 marker? I struggle with timings so much and think I will need at least 20 minutes for the 12 marker. Are you answering the 12 markers and 8 markers first?

i write 4 paragraphs and then a conclusion and i've always done my 8 markers and 12 markers first, we were only taught 12 markers like 2 weeks before the exam so i've been practising madly but how long i'll take on the 12 markers is just dependent on how hard the question is. How have you been doing in your mocks?
Original post by fauziaa
i write 4 paragraphs and then a conclusion and i've always done my 8 markers and 12 markers first, we were only taught 12 markers like 2 weeks before the exam so i've been practising madly but how long i'll take on the 12 markers is just dependent on how hard the question is. How have you been doing in your mocks?

For the specimen paper I got 78% which my teachers put as a B as they think the grade boundaries wont be that low. Then for the 2016 paper with the normal grade boundaries I got an A paper 1 was a solid high A but paper 2 was a low A so I am quite worried! I don't think I'll have time to write 4 paragraphs but I am gonna try for the 8 marker if not I may just write 3 long ones but it depends on the question! For the 12 marker I write at least 4 paragraphs. What did you get in the mocks? Also what questions are you practising as 12 markers?
Original post by new1234
For the specimen paper I got 78% which my teachers put as a B as they think the grade boundaries wont be that low. Then for the 2016 paper with the normal grade boundaries I got an A paper 1 was a solid high A but paper 2 was a low A so I am quite worried! I don't think I'll have time to write 4 paragraphs but I am gonna try for the 8 marker if not I may just write 3 long ones but it depends on the question! For the 12 marker I write at least 4 paragraphs. What did you get in the mocks? Also what questions are you practising as 12 markers?

Well the mocks we did at school, i got a B due to high grade boundaries but in the 2016 paper i got an A & the teacher has given us questions to practice with which include both studies and theories
I'm quite worried about the 12 marker, i'm really hoping its a study because I find them so much easier then applying
Original post by fauziaa
Well the mocks we did at school, i got a B due to high grade boundaries but in the 2016 paper i got an A & the teacher has given us questions to practice with which include both studies and theories
I'm quite worried about the 12 marker, i'm really hoping its a study because I find them so much easier then applying

Thats good! Would you be able to send some of these questions as I dont have anything to practice from? Also I think it is highly unlikely that the 12 marker will be a study as it has to be across both the cognitive and social approach so it will either ask you to compare two studies or leave the studies for an 8 marker. I cant think fast enough for the 12 marker and it tests your ability to think outside the box I believe but who knows maybe they will make it easy due to the bad responses in 2016. Hope so!
Original post by new1234
Thats good! Would you be able to send some of these questions as I dont have anything to practice from? Also I think it is highly unlikely that the 12 marker will be a study as it has to be across both the cognitive and social approach so it will either ask you to compare two studies or leave the studies for an 8 marker. I cant think fast enough for the 12 marker and it tests your ability to think outside the box I believe but who knows maybe they will make it easy due to the bad responses in 2016. Hope so!

sure, theres only a few -
Evaluate the use of experiments in term of its validity as a research method in comparison to the use of questionnaires in Psychology (12)
Compare the classic studies of Sherif and Baddeley (12)
Compare self-report studies with experiments as they are used in Psychology (12)
Evaluate the issue of reductionism in relation to the use of cognitive and social theories in explaining human behaviour (12)
hope it helps :smile:
Original post by fauziaa
sure, theres only a few -
Evaluate the use of experiments in term of its validity as a research method in comparison to the use of questionnaires in Psychology (12)
Compare the classic studies of Sherif and Baddeley (12)
Compare self-report studies with experiments as they are used in Psychology (12)
Evaluate the issue of reductionism in relation to the use of cognitive and social theories in explaining human behaviour (12)
hope it helps :smile:

Thank you!!!
Original post by fauziaa

What exactly is the key question?
Original post by Dilshi_3
What exactly is the key question?

Different for everyone based on what your teacher chose. For example my key question for the social approach is how can social psychology be used to explain and reduce football hooliganism? And for the cognitive approach mine is Are eyewitness testimonies accurate?

Quick Reply

Latest