The Student Room Group
Reply 1
OCR MEI and OCR are two completely different specifications. Your original post was a little confusing, but if you are doing OCR MEI then you should be working from the specification and textbook for this, not the OCR one.
Reply 2
Why is it then on the MEI website it links you to the OCR website for the full and thorough specification?
Well, the MEI spec is run through OCR bascially, so really it's just another OCR Maths spec, run by MEI, hence why it's on the OCR website. MEI is not an exam board.

And there are specific textbooks for the MEI course, which are probably the ones you'll get in school. There's C1/C2, C3/C4 then a seperate book for each module.
Reply 4
Yeah we got them books but they really do suck. So I bought OCR exercise books of amazon but now I'm worried I might be learning the wrong stuff, it's really quite similar though.
Well for maths all of the specs are really similar. In general they cover the same stuff, just maybe in different modules.
Reply 6
OCR and OCR (MEI specification) are different, there's similar stuff there but you shouldn't really learn from the OCR books
OCR MEI is quite different a Maths spec.: they don't even have similar modules. C3 has coursework (something no other specification, OCR A, AQA, WJEC, CCEA, Edexcel has)!!! And they have all other kinds of modules: in addition to C1-4, M1-4, S1-4, D1-2, FP1-3, there are DE (with coursework), DC, NM (with coursework), NC (although AQA offer FP4, and Edexcel offer M5). Plus the core and further pure modules have real names (not just "Core Maths 1-4"... but "Introduction to / Concepts for / Methods for / Applications of Advanced Mathematics". They also offer Further Maths Additional at AS and A-level (as well as Edexcel).
OCR is much more limited in its range.
Reply 8
Your sixth form normally chooses for you whether you have coursework in C4 or not. I had to a 'comprehension paper'.
Sorry...it's not C4...that's a "Comprehension paper" (an article in a Maths exam!!!). It's C3 with C/W.
Reply 10
So do you guys think I should return the books?
OCR MEI and OCR specifications have very little difference I believe.
Reply 12
MEI is maths in education and industry (though it really doesnt change much about the course specification)
I do MEI maths A level and there are some things in the course that the main ocr leaves till l8r in the specs say c3 - c4 and vice versa bt overall everythings covered.
For the C4 part you do have a comprehension but only AFTER the actual paper.
C3 you STILL HAVE AN EXAM aswel as coursework.
My advice would be, if you are learning OCR MEI, ONLY revise from MEI books as otherwise you will be learning things you do not need to learn yet(or may not learn things you need to know).

I would have thought it was self explanatory enough, though, that if you are doing OCR MEI, revise from OCR MEI books. If doing OCR, only revise from OCR books (although suplementing learning with other textbooks can only be beneficial)

Hope that clears up the confusion.
I do OCR, a friend does MEI, and we have revised together, we both have learnt the same stuff more or less, just at different points.

Latest