The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Decision Mathematics D1 (Not IAL) 16 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the Edexcel D1 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 18%
Good :H 35%
Okay :bebored: 29%
Bad :cry2: 9%
HORRIBLE PAPER!! :@8%
Total votes: 469

Edexcel AS/A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2017 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Decision 1
Date: Friday 16th June 2017
Time: Afternoon
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 0 - it's over! :woo:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20%282008%29&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for D1 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence! :afraid:

Other Edexcel Exam Threads:
Edexcel M1 - 14th June
Edexcel M2 - 16th June
Edexcel M3 - 17th May
Edexcel C1 & C2 - 17th & 24th May
Edexcel C3 & C4 - 20th & 23rd June
Edexcel FP1 - 19th May
Edexcel FP2 - 7th June
Edexcel FP3 - 26th June
Edexcel D2 - 23rd June

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Decision maths isn't maths. Memorising how to do a bubble sort isn't maths
Original post by BobBobson

I have to say I agree :erm: but I have no choice but to sit the exam so I just have to deal with it I suppose! :dontknow:
Original post by BobBobson

I enjoy discrete maths, but the way it is presented in A-level [further] mathematics is dull to say the least.
Reply 4
@NiamhM1801
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4569172
Maybe this could be something helpful. Just a few posts, but could be slightly helpful :colondollar:
Table showing the raw marks needed for 80, 90 and 100 UMS in D1 since 2010 :awesome::

d1 ums correlation.png

It seems like these papers are getting harder and harder - just look at those marks for 2016 :redface:
Reply 6
Original post by NiamhM1801
Table showing the raw marks needed for 80, 90 and 100 UMS in D1 since 2010 :awesome::

d1 ums correlation.png

It seems like these papers are getting harder and harder - just look at those marks for 2016 :redface:

PRSOM
This is really good
By knowing the patterns in the raw marks, we can interpret how hard the papers are gonna be. Thanks a lot Nia
Original post by Reshyna
PRSOM
This is really good
By knowing the patterns in the raw marks, we can interpret how hard the papers are gonna be. Thanks a lot Nia

Yeah exactly, I just thought it'd be interesting to know :smile:
Reply 8
Could someone please help me, how to get the answer for 2.b.ii?
jun 2015.png
Idk how I could work that out
plz guys
Original post by Reshyna
Could someone please help me, how to get the answer for 2.b.ii?
jun 2015.png
Idk how I could work that out
plz guys

Each pass you do of a bubble sort finalises the position of one of the numbers in the list, so you don't have to compare it again and your sorting list reduces by 1 each pass until you finish. So the maximum number of passes required to sort a list of n numbers is n - 1 :h:
Each pass you do of a bubble sort finalises the position of one of the numbers in the list, so you don't have to compare it again and your sorting list reduces by 1 each pass until you finish. So the maximum number of passes required to sort a list of n numbers is n - 1 :h:

PRSOM
Thanks a lot Nia! :hugs:
Y didn't I think of that earlier.

d1 ums correlation.png

Do you have the ums gradeboundaires for c1,c2 and fp1?
Original post by jayforreal18
Do you have the ums gradeboundaires for c1,c2 and fp1?

FP1 here, however I didn't make the thread for Edexcel C1 and C2 and the person who did hasn't put them on. You can easily find them though :smile:
FP1 here, however I didn't make the thread for Edexcel C1 and C2 and the person who did hasn't put them on. You can easily find them though :smile:

Thanks, do you know where I can find the ones for c1 and c2?
Thanks, do you know where I can find the ones for c1 and c2?

If you go onto Edexcel's website and download their UMS converter, you can enter in 80, 90 and 100UMS for each year and it'll tell you how many marks you needed to get that. All I did was put it into a table :tongue:
If you go onto Edexcel's website and download their UMS converter, you can enter in 80, 90 and 100UMS for each year and it'll tell you how many marks you needed to get that. All I did was put it into a table :tongue:

Oh okay thanks. Are you sitting these exams aswell ?
Oh okay thanks. Are you sitting these exams aswell ?

I'm not sitting Edexcel C1 and C2 - I'm doing AQA for normal maths and Edexcel for further, sorry! :erm:
I'm not sitting Edexcel C1 and C2 - I'm doing AQA for normal maths and Edexcel for further, sorry! :erm:

Oh I see, how confident are you for the further maths exams? For fm I'm sitting fp1, d1 and m1.
Oh I see, how confident are you for the further maths exams? For fm I'm sitting fp1, d1 and m1.

I'm sitting FP1, D1 and D2 - I'm confident for both decision modules to an extent, slightly worried about FP but that's only because I haven't actually revised it yet. Once I do I think I'll be okay. Scarily close though! How about you?
I'm sitting FP1, D1 and D2 - I'm confident for both decision modules to an extent, slightly worried about FP but that's only because I haven't actually revised it yet. Once I do I think I'll be okay. Scarily close though! How about you?

Fp1 I'm confident with but just need to look over matrices because sometimes the questions can be difficult. D1 I'm pretty confident with its just a matter of doing the exam questions. M1 I'm worried about.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending