The Student Room Group

Edexcel Mathematics: Decision Mathematics D2 6690 01 - 23 Jun 2017 [Exam Discussion]

This poll is closed

How did you find the Edexcel D2 exam?

Amazing! :woo: 35%
Good :H 27%
Okay... :bebored: 21%
Bad :sad: 6%
HORRIBLE PAPER!!! :@10%
Total votes: 117

Edexcel AS/A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2017 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Decision 2
Date: Friday 23rd June 2017
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 2 :crazy:

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20%282008%29&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here.

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for D2 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence! :afraid:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801

Edexcel AS/A Level Maths Discussion Thread - 2017 Edition

Hey guys, I thought I'd make this niiiiiice and early so we can all share how we're preparing for our Maths exams this year?

Decision 2
Date: Friday 23rd June 2017
Time: Morning
Duration: 1 hour 30 minutes
Days to go?: 76

Probably the most important way to prepare for maths is to do plenty of past papers! You can find all Edexcel Maths past papers [url="http://qualifications.pearson.com/en/support/support-topics/exams/past-papers.html?Qualification-Family=A-Level&Qualification-Subject=Mathematics%20%282008%29&Status=Pearson-UK:Status%2FLive&Specification-Code=Pearson-UK[excludedFace]s-smilie[/excludedFace]pecification-Code%2F9371"]here

Also, Physics & Maths Tutor has some good resources for revision - everything from revision notes to questions on specific topics. Materials for D2 can be found here.

Good luck with the preparations everyone, let the countdown commence! :afraid:

Exciting stuff.. I hope everyone has their shadow costs worked out for travelling to this exam.

:getmecoat:
Original post by Kevin De Bruyne
Exciting stuff.. I hope everyone has their shadow costs worked out for travelling to this exam.

:getmecoat:

:awesome: you got it!
I'll be doing this exam. I've got a good understanding of all topics now. But it is still really easy to make a careless mistake.
Original post by NotNotBatman
I'll be doing this exam. I've got a good understanding of all topics now. But it is still really easy to make a careless mistake.

Good to see others also doing D2! We've still got dynamic programming to learn but after that it'll just be revision - luckily it's a late exam though :colondollar:

I think I'm fine with all topics except I'm shaky on Transportation for some reason and same with Network Flows. I'll be fine with some revision though :h:

Have you attempted past papers yet?
Good to see others also doing D2! We've still got dynamic programming to learn but after that it'll just be revision - luckily it's a late exam though :colondollar:

I think I'm fine with all topics except I'm shaky on Transportation for some reason and same with Network Flows. I'll be fine with some revision though :h:

Have you attempted past papers yet?

Dynamic programming is really tricky, in my opinion, so make sure you practise really well. What do you find difficult about transportation and network flows?

I have done a few past papers, it seems like careless mistakes are inevitable, but to be fair I've only done a few papers. And I'm making mistakes on formulation of linear programming, but that's something I'll just memorize much closer to the exam.
Original post by NotNotBatman
Dynamic programming is really tricky, in my opinion, so make sure you practise really well. What do you find difficult about transportation and network flows?

I have done a few past papers, it seems like careless mistakes are inevitable, but to be fair I've only done a few papers. And I'm making mistakes on formulation of linear programming, but that's something I'll just memorize much closer to the exam.

Sorry - missed this! :s-smilie:

Ah I see, I'll keep that in mind! With transportation I think it's just because it was the first thing we did so I'm a little rusty (haven't revised yet oops!) and I'm not sure with network flows - I reckon if I go over them I should be okay though :smile:

Oh wow, you are on top of things! Yeah I think they are, particularly in Decision. I'm sure you'll make fewer of them with practice though. Ah, I feel like all I've really learnt from D2 is how to become a master of linear programming :lol:
Sorry - missed this! :s-smilie:

Ah I see, I'll keep that in mind! With transportation I think it's just because it was the first thing we did so I'm a little rusty (haven't revised yet oops!) and I'm not sure with network flows - I reckon if I go over them I should be okay though :smile:

Oh wow, you are on top of things! Yeah I think they are, particularly in Decision. I'm sure you'll make fewer of them with practice though. Ah, I feel like all I've really learnt from D2 is how to become a master of linear programming :lol:

For transportation if you know how to do each step, then you've just got to remember initial solution (using NW corner) -> shadow costs ->improvement indices-> stepping stone.

And what you have to consider is units->costs->costs->units respectively.

The tricky part of network flows are the back flows. You just need to ignore the direction of the arc and increase the flow considering the arrows, ignoring the direction of the arc, if that makes sense.
Table showing the raw marks needed for 80, 90 and 100 UMS in D2 since 2010 :

d2 ums correlation.png
Reply 9
Does anyone know where to get the 2016 Answer Booklet from? Can't find it anywhere :frown:
Original post by Roshan11
Does anyone know where to get the 2016 Answer Booklet from? Can't find it anywhere :frown:

Question paper and answer booklet are both here :smile:
If anyone is interested in doing mathematics at university, follow this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4775132
I have published my notes from year 1 and 2 from the UoBath. Granted not all courses are the same, but it will give you a rough idea of the stuff you might come across. If it looks confusing don't worry, it's just the notation but you'll get used to that.
Original post by Protostar
Question paper and answer booklet are both here :smile:

thanks a bunch :banana2::banana2::banana2:
Original post by ccharlie97
If anyone is interested in doing mathematics at university, follow this link: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4775132
I have published my notes from year 1 and 2 from the UoBath. Granted not all courses are the same, but it will give you a rough idea of the stuff you might come across. If it looks confusing don't worry, it's just the notation but you'll get used to that.

This is great and will probably help me a lot, so thank you!! :biggrin:
Original post by Protostar
This is great and will probably help me a lot, so thank you!! :biggrin:

No worries! :biggrin:
Reply 15
This is my last AS exam, any tips to achieve the A*:smile:
Do you guys think any definition will come up in D2??? Never had one in past papers.
Original post by Andy Lau
Do you guys think any definition will come up in D2??? Never had one in past papers.

They have come up before; June 2015 - explain what is meant by a zero sum game and they might come up this year.
Does anyone know if there is a systematic way of drawing maximum flow patterns, like the one in June 2015 question 4e. ?

Question Paper
Mark Scheme

Also, in that same paper, question 6e, where it asks for the minimum weight limit after the weight is increased? How do you do that one?
Reply 19
For the linear programming of transportation problems, if the question requires a dummy do you need to include the dummy in the linear programming? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending