The Student Room Group

Special Consideration

What exactly do exam boards look at when deciding on special consideration?

My mate resat his Double Award Science Year 11 Units in June and was ill for the Chemistry exam. He messed up his first time sits in January and the school requested special consideration for the Chemistry paper. He got a* in both coursework and Biology and Physics resit papers.

If they look at evidence from previous sittings then it really isn't fair as you wouldn't be resitting if you reached your potential first time round. But do they base their decision on your other two papers/predicted grade?
I think it is mainly due to outside influences, say you were doing your French Listening Exam in a hall as echoey as a cave with building works outside. I have heard that a family issue like a parental divorce does get special consideration as well.

My mate's mum tried to get special consideration for her son because he had a headache. We all laughed at him because he recieved a B instead of an A.

Normally they base it on your classwork, they call in your books. Your mock grades and what the teacher said about you. I think that is what happens, please correct me if I am wrong.
I thought they only did the above if you completely missed the exam, or the idiots lost it in the post?

Special consideration is an extra percentage, no more than 5%, I thought.
If a close family member, like your parents, grandparents etc dies in the week of your exam, you get 11%. Quite big. But then you probably won't be able to concentrate in the exam unless you're a heartless freak :p: In fact, if a family member did die, I doubt 11% would be enough to account for how much worse you would do!

If you have a really bad cold or you are really ill, you are entitled to 1% (hardly going to help... e.g. if you got 70/100, that would go up to 70.7... big whoop..)

There is a full list somewhere lol.

If however you are very ill or lost an arm, or can't attend the exam for some reason, they use your mock score and put a little (t) (kinda a Christian cross thingy) next to the grade. That's what I seem to recall from prep lol. :hugs:
11%?! My exam's officer said it was only 5% for berievement and everything else was less!

(I only had tonsilitis though. Don't know exactly how much I got)
Reply 5
Toiletpaper8
...they use your mock score and put a little (t) (kinda a Christian cross thingy) next to the grade. That's what I seem to recall from prep lol. :hugs:

Do they put the little 't' Christian Cross thingy on the certificate?

And, therefore if you missed the Physics exam because of illness but sat the Biology and Chemistry exams in Double Award they would go by your mock grade for physics?
theaceman
Do they put the little 't' Christian Cross thingy on the certificate?

And, therefore if you missed the Physics exam because of illness but sat the Biology and Chemistry exams in Double Award they would go by your mock grade for physics?

Yes, they put it on your certificate so universities etc will know that the grade given is your mock grade. And I assume that yes, they would go by your mock grade for physics :smile:

I'm also pretty sure it is 11% if a family member dies, my friend claimed the 11% :smile:

Latest