Religious Education (Short Course)- A*
Double Award Science (Non-modular)- AA
Mathematics- B

As-Levels:
English Literature - A
Psychology - A
Geography -A
Computing - A

Predicted 3 As in the first three of above, dropped Computing.

I'm applying to UCL, KCL defintely, and I am thinking about Bristol, Exeter and Leeds, and Queen Mary,UL as insurance.

What do you think of my prospects, realistically?
Reply 1
Based on grades along I'd say you could get into any of those unis. If your PS & reference are good too, you're in imo!
Reply 2
Academically, you are good enough to get in just about anywhere. You don't need to worry.
Reply 3
Is this is a joke? Your grades are fantastic are you just after a compliment. You will do fine as long as you don’t want to study medine or chemistry. What course are you thinking of applying 4?
Reply 4
But English is TERRIFYINGLY competitive everywhere, i'm not after any compliments, I'd really like to know, especially seeing as i live in Northern Ireland and don't know all the jibberjabber about English unis. :smile: I think I've got to work on my PS though, apparently it doesn't shout SARAH loud enough!
smoosabitmega
But English is TERRIFYINGLY competitive everywhere, i'm not after any compliments, I'd really like to know, especially seeing as i live in Northern Ireland and don't know all the jibberjabber about English unis. :smile: I think I've got to work on my PS though, apparently it doesn't shout SARAH loud enough!

Plenty of people get into Oxford and Cambridge with grades as good as that (I imagine you could as well if you so wished). English is indeed a competitive choice, but you get five spaces on a UCAS form, so the chances of at least one university giving you an offer are much higher than you think. I know it is difficult applying and even more so if you don't live in England, but ultimately, you just have to go and give it your best attempt.

In terms of your choices - I personally wouldn't want to go to London (because it's too big for me :redface: ), but UCL and King's have very good reputations for English. Bristol too is among the best, but be aware that they receive an enormous number of applications for very few places and do not interview, which means that plenty of excellent applicants are unsuccessful - not that it isn't worth a try though!

Any other questions, feel free to ask. :smile:
I think I know why you're asking - it's because your subjects aren't most academic, right? I'm in a similar situation, applying to unis of a similar standard. So, no - I think you're aiming just right.
Reply 7
That wasn't my first thought, no. :/
smoosabitmega
That wasn't my first thought, no. :/

OH - Well, as I say, I'm in a similar situation and I'm applying to similar unis - so I wouldn't worry.
Personally, I think you're a shoe in providing your PS is okay. I'm just hoping you've done some extra curricular stuff like charities and club because then I would say you're like 99.9% like to get in your 1st choice. Good luck xxx

Personally, I think you're a shoe in providing your PS is okay. I'm just hoping you've done some extra curricular stuff like charities and club because then I would say you're like 99.9% like to get in your 1st choice.

Actually, I didn't come across one English admissions tutor who gave a toss about extra curriculars. Use your PS to demonstrate how much you want to study english.

Your results are good, although your A level subject combination might put you at a slight disadvantage to someone taking say English/history/MFL.

assuming you have a decent PS, i think you are sure of an offer from Leeds and probably Exeter.

Bristol & UCL are very tough but worth a punt. KCL is also hard.

QM seems a bit of a soft choice. Unless you are desperate to be in London, I'd look at the likes of Nottingham, Cardiff, Sheffield & Leeds. English departments have good reputations & the unis overall arguably have better reputation than QM.

With Leeds and Exeter, you could even add another hard one like York, Warwick or Edinburgh.

Look closely at the course content/assessment regime. English degrees are not all the same.

good luck
peachmelba

Bristol & UCL are very tough but worth a punt. KCL is also hard.

I'm still not sure about Bristol. Its a toss up between Bristol, Leeds and Exeter, two outta those three...
As you're from Northern Ireland, I guess you've looked into the transport logistics in terms of flights etc?

I think Exeter seems the odd one out. As a citiy, it's pretty I gather but a lot smaller than your other choices. If you want somewhere metropolitan, Exeter I think it would be fair to say isn't it.
I know...I think I'll go for Edinburgh and Leeds instead of Exeter and Bristol.
Does edinburgh only need BBB?
Reply 15
katiemoore1990

It's what an offer would be if they gave you one, but it's tricky getting an offer in the first place (and successful applicants tend to have/be predicted more than BBB). It helps if you're Scottish. :wink:
Reply 16
katiemoore1990

technically, but they really want something more like AAA...
We'll I'm from N.ireland SO i guess that's not as bad as being English in their eyes (I JOKE I JOKE :smile: )

Latest

Trending

Trending