The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

neither, london unis dont have a good social life. But if you had to choose one id say Brunel, purely because QMUL is an absolute joke.
Reply 2
could you expand on the "absolute joke" part?
isn't QM part of UoL?

wonder which uni would future employers prefer
Reply 3
Bear_Grylls
neither, london unis dont have a good social life. But if you had to choose one id say Brunel, purely because QMUL is an absolute joke.

why is QM a joke?
vixky!
why is QM a joke?

The location, the crap social life (everyone basically lives off campus) the fact everyone is foreign (dont mean to be rude, but it is true) u may like it, but i certainly didnt when i went on an open day there.

PS. im not saying academically QMUL is bad, because its not, but theres more to uni than just how good they are study wise
Reply 5
hmm interesting. i quite like the look of it from what i've read, but i've just missed the open day (yesterday!) so i'm not sure whether to apply or not.
Bear is talking crap, because Queen Mary is the only university to have accommodation on the same campus as the lecture buildings etc. There are THOUSANDS of students in these halls of residences.

The location is excellent, especially considering the facilities. We're near two tube stations serving 3 lines [Central, District and Hammersmith & City] and the 25 bus runs 24 hours right to Oxford Circus, and stop about 3 times outside the university itself. The Central line only takes 15 minutes, and by that time you're at Covent Garden [after a change of line].

Just because you didn't like it when you went Bear doesn't mean anything. There are quite a few people from different countries, by why should that be a problem? In my flat there are two american guys who are pretty funny and on my course there is two french girls, one belgian and one russian. It adds to the atmosphere of the university.

If you manage to have a crap social life at Queen Mary, then it is something that is wrong with you, as opposed to something that is wrong with the university. Seriously. You find people in your flat...they are friends with other people so you go to their flat...you meet more and more people. You will also meet loads of people on your course!

Any other questions ask someone that actually goes to the universities, as opposed to someone who only went there once on an open day.
Reply 7
thanks Mr Mortell, that is helpful. :smile: it's hard to know what unis are really like so I like to get as many opinions as possible.
Reply 8
thanks for ur reply,
goshh.. this does not make it any easier =S
Mr Mortell
Bear is talking crap, because Queen Mary is the only university to have accommodation on the same campus as the lecture buildings etc. There are THOUSANDS of students in these halls of residences.

The location is excellent, especially considering the facilities. We're near two tube stations serving 3 lines [Central, District and Hammersmith & City] and the 25 bus runs 24 hours right to Oxford Circus, and stop about 3 times outside the university itself. The Central line only takes 15 minutes, and by that time you're at Covent Garden [after a change of line].

Just because you didn't like it when you went Bear doesn't mean anything. There are quite a few people from different countries, by why should that be a problem? In my flat there are two american guys who are pretty funny and on my course there is two french girls, one belgian and one russian. It adds to the atmosphere of the university.

If you manage to have a crap social life at Queen Mary, then it is something that is wrong with you, as opposed to something that is wrong with the university. Seriously. You find people in your flat...they are friends with other people so you go to their flat...you meet more and more people. You will also meet loads of people on your course!

Any other questions ask someone that actually goes to the universities, as opposed to someone who only went there once on an open day.

Mate mle end is not a good area, well at least it isnt to where i live in london and where i goto uni now, its full of chavs and muppets. But whatever.
OH NO THERE IS ASAIN PEOPLE IN MILE END AND A LOAD OF CHICKEN SHOPS THAT MUST MEAN IT'S AN AWFUL AREA!!! HOW COULD I NOT TELL!?! MY GOD HOW DO I GET OUT OF HERE?!?!?!

Seriously, I've not seen one single chav since I been her, plenty of muppets but there is loads of them anywhere. I'm just going to take advantage of the cheaper local area, whilst still being a very short distance from central london. For example last night I went to the cinema, which cost me £1.50 [It's normally £3] then went to Weatherspoon's and then back to someone's flat until about 4am. Is that not having a social life? I do not feel threatened about living in Mile End in the slightest, and I'm a short, thin, and weedy guy.
Reply 11
Well, I see that Bear's claim that almost all the students live off campus has already been shot down by someone else...

As for Mile End being in a crap area .. have another read of the question -- QM or Brunel.

QM is in Zone 2, for a start, if West End clubs are your thing .. but the best up-and-coming, trendy area for bars and the best area for grimy, underground raves in carparks are in and around Shoreditch and Hoxton, both of which are closer to QM than, the West End, UoL accommodation in Euston, and certainly closer than Brunel.

As for international students (which I think is a positive thing) and the density of the local Muslim population, well, if that sort of thing makes someone uneasy, then that's clearly a problem on his or her behalf rather than on QM's.
Reply 12
Bear_Grylls
The location, the crap social life (everyone basically lives off campus) the fact everyone is foreign (dont mean to be rude, but it is true) u may like it, but i certainly didnt when i went on an open day there.

PS. im not saying academically QMUL is bad, because its not, but theres more to uni than just how good they are study wise

Can I just say something. I am at QMUL at the minute. The campus life and atmosphere is fantastic, really friendly and open. QMUL is the only campus Uni in London which means contrary to what you say many freshers (and other years) live on campus. At the moment fair enough our union bar isn't open until December but that will be all sorted by the time next years students get here. All of the staff have been really helpful so far as well, and my classes have provided a great learning enviroment.

Also, the area is not that bad. Fair enough its not all shiny and bright like touristy central London, but theres a few good bars and restuarants knocking about, brick lane is great and only a bus ride down the road, as is canary wharf which has night buses running to and from it. As does central london.
Reply 13
so what are the computer science courses like at QM compared to brunel?
Reply 14
Check the QAA and the RAE ratings, speak to current students and see if you can find any big names that teach in those departments. Only then make your mind up. One more thing, QMUL is UoL - which has a great value. I don't know much about Brunel.
Reply 15
Go to Brunel. The UoL brand IMO is going down, all the good uni's are leaving or are wanting to leave.

Plus I know a guy who did CS at Brunel who has a job and the guy who did it at QM doesn't:wink:
Reply 16
Mr Mortell
OH NO THERE IS ASAIN PEOPLE IN MILE END AND A LOAD OF CHICKEN SHOPS THAT MUST MEAN IT'S AN AWFUL AREA!!! HOW COULD I NOT TELL!?! MY GOD HOW DO I GET OUT OF HERE?!?!?!

Seriously, I've not seen one single chav since I been her, plenty of muppets but there is loads of them anywhere. I'm just going to take advantage of the cheaper local area, whilst still being a very short distance from central london. For example last night I went to the cinema, which cost me £1.50 [It's normally £3] then went to Weatherspoon's and then back to someone's flat until about 4am. Is that not having a social life? I do not feel threatened about living in Mile End in the slightest, and I'm a short, thin, and weedy guy.

Really? When I went to see QM, as soon as I came out of the station I at least saw 3-4.
rievviet
for computer science?

also for social life and on the whole..

Definitely Brunel.
QMUL is really crap.
fblade
Really? When I went to see QM, as soon as I came out of the station I at least saw 3-4.

So Mile End station = the university now? Anyway, I'm still yet to see any chavs. On the university itself or outside the gates.
Reply 19
Mr Mortell
So Mile End station = the university now? Anyway, I'm still yet to see any chavs. On the university itself or outside the gates.

No, but Mile End station is near enough the uni though.

Latest

Trending

Trending