Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating and walking??

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've been pondering over this all day - is it better to walk along as you eat than to sit down and eat? :confused:

Cos then you'll be burning calories and stuff. Or will your body have to concentrate on getting oxygen to all your muscles for respiration, so it'll just store the food as fat and stuff?
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    The only thing it will accomplish is some horrible indigestion.
    • 5 followers

I'm certainly no expert but I think it's better to let your body start digesting your food before you go walking... that way you'll actually have something that your body can use.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RosiePosiePuddingAndPie)
    I've been pondering over this all day - is it better to walk along as you eat than to sit down and eat? :confused:

Cos then you'll be burning calories and stuff. Or will your body have to concentrate on getting oxygen to all your muscles for respiration, so it'll just store the food as fat and stuff?
    The best thing to do is to try and eat whilst doing proper exercise. Next time you go to the gym, take your Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and some milk along (and don't forget a spoon). Then get on the treadmill, start it up, build up a rhythm, pour your milk in and get eating! That way you are basically not consuming any calories at all because they'll be coming straight off. It's harder on the step machine, but maybe find a gym buddy who can feed you a bit of pizza or a sandwich whilst you do that so you can concentrate properly. Don't worry about hiccups; everyone gets them when they start out. And you've got to fight through the acute indigestion - that just means it's working well. Remember - no pain, no gain. Then when you've done that for a few months you can move up to more advanced training. For example, you could maybe try eating a curry whilst you're on the cross-trainer or a roast dinner on the rower (but be careful with the gravy). But yeah, I suppose eating whilst walking is a good place to start. Maybe try doing some high intensity **** - jog for a minute whilst eating slowly, then run flat out for 10 seconds whilst eating as much as you can as quickly as you can. Good luck and let us know how it goes, you should see results pretty quickly!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehnsucht)
    The best thing to do is to try and eat whilst doing proper exercise. Next time you go to the gym, take your Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and some milk along (and don't forget a spoon). Then get on the treadmill, start it up, build up a rhythm, pour your milk in and get eating! That way you are basically not consuming any calories at all because they'll be coming straight off. It's harder on the step machine, but maybe find a gym buddy who can feed you a bit of pizza or a sandwich whilst you do that so you can concentrate properly. Don't worry about hiccups; everyone gets them when they start out. And you've got to fight through the acute indigestion - that just means it's working well. Remember - no pain, no gain. Then when you've done that for a few months you can move up to more advanced training. For example, you could maybe try eating a curry whilst you're on the cross-trainer or a roast dinner on the rower (but be careful with the gravy). But yeah, I suppose eating whilst walking is a good place to start. Maybe try doing some high intensity **** - jog for a minute whilst eating slowly, then run flat out for 10 seconds whilst eating as much as you can as quickly as you can. Good luck and let us know how it goes, you should see results pretty quickly!
    :rofl:
    • 10 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sehnsucht)
    :rofl: at your sig.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Hey hey hey, AND my post please (I really committed to that one)! :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    if u eat while walking u may not understand* what u r eating. it is better to sit down and eat slow bc the brain needs 20 mins to get the message that u r actually eating! but now that i've started uni and have lessons from 9-5 with very small breaks i'm no good example:rolleyes:

*feel, taste, enjoy
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I don't eat and walk at the same time. Not for weight-loss reasons; purely because if I try it, I make a mess/drop food etc. :p:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpj1987)
    I don't eat and walk at the same time. Not for weight-loss reasons; purely because if I try it, I make a mess/drop food etc. :p:
    Lol I have the same problem too, really. I miss my mouth a lot as well
    I only asked cos I've been thinking about it all day (I had very little else to think about! :p: )

Thanks, Sehnsucht, for all that advice... I'll try it out as soon as possible! :p:

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: September 30, 2007
New on TSR

THE world university rankings 2014-2015 revealed

Will they affect your uni choices?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.