The Student Room Group

Computer science or with management? :S

Hello,

I need to decide by tomorrow whether to do computer science bsc or computer science with management bsc (in first year, 2 computer science modules are replaced with management ones).

Which degree do you guys think i should go for? Which one will give me better prospects of finding a work placement (hopefully) and eventually (hopefully) a decent job within the computer science industry (programming jobs etc).

Thanks in advance..
Just do straight computer science - you're not going into a job as a manager straight out of university, and you will acquire the soft-skills necessary during your progression to a managerial position.

If you want business experience, get an internship in your second year.
Reply 2
Waldo Dobbs
Just do straight computer science - you're not going into a job as a manager straight out of university, and you will acquire the soft-skills necessary during your progression to a managerial position.

If you want business experience, get an internship in your second year.

Thanks Waldo Dobbs, I was hoping you or pysk replied :biggrin:

I think I'll stick with that....

Any more input welcomed :redface:

p.s oh ye danjt, leicester do with management.
Reply 3
Waldo Dobbs

I have nothing to add to this post as it says it all, but I just wanted to reiterate the opinion. A university degree will get you your first job. The experience you gain in the workplace will get you all the others.
If you're considering self-employment, then a side module in tax law and accounting would stand you in good stead. :P And my original point still stands - you wouldn't go into self-employment initially, unless you're going to found another one of those over-hyped, bubble 2.0, VC-funded start-ups. S'not as if Youtube actually even made any money before being bought out, and had managed to burn through 80% of it's VC capital by that point, but I digress...

You'll want to spend several years working for a company - build up a network of contacts, future employees to poach, future customers to poach, get used to managerial concepts, go on expensive training courses, learn project and risk management - all on company time and whilst the company pays you for it.

I think the little bit of extra theory, and the fact that most employees will 'understand' the straight compsci degree better (i.e. they know what they'll be getting) would merit you choosing the straight compsci degree in this case.

P.S. I know you've already made up your mind - I just wanted to blab. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending