The Student Room Group

CIE IGCSE Geography 2nd May, 10th May, 6th June

Paper 1--2nd May
Paper 2--10th May
Paper 4--6th June

Anyone else taking this course? What questions are you guys hoping for in Paper 1? For Theme 1 I'm likely gonna answer the population question, Theme 2 I want climate and natural vegetation and Theme 3 tourism has always seemed a fairly easy choice. Don't want food production though!

Also, did anyone do Component 3 (coursework)? What's it like? I'm happy to do Paper 4 instead because it's the least challenging from the 3 exams in my opinion, but I'm just curious.

This is my first exam this year besides French Speaking, with Paper 1 2 weeks before my first non-geography paper. I got a good A* in the mock so I'm fairly confident.

Any of you guys need any help?

Scroll to see replies

im so scared cause i dont know anything for theme 2 rivers,coasts, everything. but my teacher said that tourism is likely to come up and rivers for theme 2.
Original post by Ghanim.alk
im so scared cause i dont know anything for theme 2 rivers,coasts, everything. but my teacher said that tourism is likely to come up and rivers for theme 2.

What part of theme 2 is your strongest? And what sort of questions do you have about rivers and coasts--I'll try and answer them as best I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile
hey, I'm doing this course - my bets are for theme 2 'rivers and plate tectonics' because they haven't come up in two years and for theme 3 'tourism, environment and food production' because they can mix two topics together' - I'm just revising those xx
Original post by camfanclash
What part of theme 2 is your strongest? And what sort of questions do you have about rivers and coasts--I'll try and answer them as best I can.

Posted from TSR Mobile

coasts most likely wont come up. its going to be either plate tectonics, rivers or climate. and my strongest for theme 2 is plate tectonics but if it does not come up im screwed.
Original post by GJONES200
hey, I'm doing this course - my bets are for theme 2 'rivers and plate tectonics' because they haven't come up in two years and for theme 3 'tourism, environment and food production' because they can mix two topics together' - I'm just revising those xx

for theme 3 i think that its going to be tourism,food prodution or water/energy
Original post by Ghanim.alk
for theme 3 i think that its going to be tourism,food prodution or water/energy

yeh but energy was on it last year but who knows xx

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can someone explain the lower course/upper course of a river thing? Like about vertical erosion and stuff please. Also how can we revise for Paper 2 and 4? Paper 4 is common sense to be honest...
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Kronixion
Can someone explain the lower course/upper course of a river thing? Like about vertical erosion and stuff please. Also how can we revise for Paper 2 and 4? Paper 4 is common sense to be honest...

This website is amazing for paper 4 - you do actually need to know stuff for it as it may ask you about equipment etc. greenfieldgeography.wikispaces.com

In the upper course of the river, water has a low velocity. It is the part of the river which is highest above sea level; as a result, vertical erosion occurs here and causes the upper course to have a steep gradient.

In the lower course of the river, water has a high velocity. It is the part of the river which is at sea level or just above it; as a result, lateral erosion occurs here instead of vertical erosion and causes the lower course to be wider than the upper course. It also has a greater depth than the upper course.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.
In the upper course of the river, water has a low velocity. It is the part of the river which is highest above sea level; as a result, vertical erosion occurs here and causes the upper course to have a steep gradient.

In the lower course of the river, water has a high velocity. It is the part of the river which is at sea level or just above it; as a result, lateral erosion occurs here instead of vertical erosion and causes the lower course to be wider than the upper course. It also has a greater depth than the upper course.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong.

Looks about right, thanks a lot! What topics are you hoping for? I want:

Theme 1: Population
Theme 2: Weather
Theme 3: Energy

Too bad I won't get these (except population) as they were all there in the June 2016 paper ffs...
Looks about right, thanks a lot! What topics are you hoping for? I want:

Theme 1: Population
Theme 2: Weather
Theme 3: Energy

Too bad I won't get these (except population) as they were all there in the June 2016 paper ffs...

mate I so want plate tectonics in there and water/tourism because they are so easy !!!!
Original post by GJONES200
mate I so want plate tectonics in there and water/tourism because they are so easy !!!!

Agreed, but the water case study is kinda tricky - I have Lesotho for that. Plate tectonics is easy, but I feel like they can ask you a lot of questions on it. Also can someone explain mangrove swamps in more detail, the textbook didn't really cover it so well...
what do we need to know about mangrove swamps???? lol and I cant believe it on Tuesday arghhhhhhhhhh
Reply 14
How did you study all the case studies and what are some last minute tips ?
Original post by Unays
How did you study all the case studies and what are some last minute tips ?

pick out key points and tbh some stuff is common sense like what problems can overpopulation cause: busy roads, over crowded schools, no enough resources for everyone, more pollution etc.
should we only really do past papers from 2016 coz of the syllabus change?
Good luck everyone for tomorrow!
Original post by safa_k

Every past paper from 2010 is useful so I wouldn't just rely on 2016...
Original post by safa_k

Just skip out any questions on weathering from other papers. The syllabus is mainly the same otherwise.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending