The Student Room Group
Regardless of whether or not they can do it, they have done it, so instead of taking any pointless action a good idea would be to comply.
If you hadn't given it then they could, but if you have just call and explain. It's probably just a mix up, they've lost it or something. If you've given it then they couldn't fire you, probably best if you just explain and it'll be no big deal :smile:
Reply 3
Sounds a bit silly really, especially considering they already have a copy of it from when you started? Just give it to them and see what they say. They can't fire you because of that anyway

Also if you are taking them to a tribunal you might want to keep a log of any incidents like this so you have it down on paper should you need it in the future :smile:
Reply 4
There may be a legit reason as to why they are asking for it. At Iceland, they lost all the papers for anyone employed before March (that's me) and they wanted a copy of my passport and NI number before a certain date. My manager asked me kindly and told me if I didn't give it, he would get in trouble, and I could get fired. On the notice he put on the notice board, it said to give it before a certain date, otherwise you will face "dismissal". I gave mine in before the deadline to another manager. Then about 2 weeks after the deadline, my main manager said he needs my passport copy and I told him I already gave it. He said he'll have a look. It looked like to me that getting fired was an empty threat because seeing as it was after the deadline, he thought I hadn't given it in, and was still fine about it.
Reply 5
I also work for the co-op and so yes it is for a legitimate reason they asked for your passport and NI number. I appreciate that you gave it them before but they may have lost it. I know at my co-op we got a letter a few months back about the 'illegal immigrants act' I think it's called, and we all had to make a photocopy of our passports by a certain deadline to prove we have a right to work in the UK.
Reply 6
It sounds like your Boss has made the mistake. Give him another copy of each, and if they kick up a fuss, then explain you already gave him one, and that it must have got lost along the way. Be calm with it, and they'll be less likely to go OTT with sacking you.

Latest

Trending

Trending