The Student Room Group

Damn router! :mad:

Bought this router (a while ago in fact)
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/63763
Moved into a new place for Uni, finally sorted out the internet (ask4 are lame...) but now i cant get the router to work and i dont have a net connection in my room (tis in my flatmates room :frown: )

The internet is fine (most of the time) because i can get onto the net directly with an ethernet cable...
Trying to set up the wireless but it doesnt want to let me...
Previously i could get onto the net with the router connected to the line and then my laptop to the router (ethernet cable) so i guess the router (did) work.
My flatmate managed to get onto the wireless with his Mac (:mad:) but my laptop wont connect... i've tried setting it up as the booklet says but i dont know what im doing (right/wrong)
I can find the wireless when i search for it but it doesnt let me connect (just tries for ages and then gives up... :s-smilie:)
Sooooo basically looking for any help i can get/directions what i need to do :frown:
Much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
Does it have WPA/WAP enabled?
if there is sortware from the router on your comp (or something you had to use a cd to put on) open it up and somewhere should be a troubleshooting guide!
might be something in there?
Whats the signal strength?
Reply 4
WPA2 Personal is enabled...
Signal strength is maximum (which is why im confused)
Aaaaand i read through the CD's guide but i didn't find any explanation for why it isnt working :frown:
Are you sure you've not got a mac address filter on your router - I completely forgot about the filter when I got my new laptop...
Reply 6
Err i think it does but its disabled..
(also my flatmate got on the wireless with his mac whereas i dont have a mac...?)

Also when i try to set it up automatically with the software, when it starts checking the status, the internet disconnects/goes to limited connectivity so i cant do it automatically it seems...

Also, what wireless channel am i meant to set it to?
I've got the same router at home and the only reason that you could be having the problem that I can think of would be from mac filtering....

You'll probably need to set the wireless channel to automatic and the mac filtering isn't about apple macs but about the physical address of the wireless card - I guess I should have made that clearer...
Reply 8
Lol, woops..
right so i want the wireless MAC filter to be disabled right?
The wireless channel lists 1 to 13 with different Ghz (its just set to 11 i think..?) Dunno if that makes a difference?
If there are a lot of other wireless networks nearby it may be worth changing channel to improve the signal, but it wouldn't stop you connecting.
so long as you've got some other form of security set up (wep or WPA) then yes, disable hemac flter. And usually you want the wireless channel on channel 11...It's the standard setup I think...
Reply 11
Well i cant connect at all, and ive got the stuff as Chaz has said...
My flatmate is on the net (with the wireless) right now with his laptop...
I can only use the net via ethernet cable from the router...
Obviously my laptop must be set up wrong or being annoying or something?

i dont have a clue :frown:
Appreciating all the help so far guys!
Reply 12
Reset the router back to factory defaults, change your SID and then setup security to WPA. What operating system are you using? Also check the wireless card is set to automatically obtain the IP address.
Reply 13
It probably isn't this but just to make sure, you say the router has WPA set...are you sure your wireless card can use WPA? My old wireless card couldn't and I couldn't connect to a network with WPA (obviously)
Reply 14
Was set to WPA2 Personal and i set to WPA Personal but no difference...
I bought the laptop a year ago for £500, im assuming it has a wireless card that can use WPA...thought it wouldve been standard?

AT82
Reset the router back to factory defaults, change your SID and then setup security to WPA. What operating system are you using? Also check the wireless card is set to automatically obtain the IP address.

What and how do i change my SID? :p: Using Windows XP (Home)
I've set it to automatically connect to the wireless (under wireless network connection) is that any different to automatically obtaining the IP?

One more thing - if i try to access someone elses secure wireless - it asks for a WPA/WEP key whereas when i click to connect to my wireless, it just tries to connect and seems to time out (doesnt say anything just disappears) - wondering if theres anything in that?
Reply 15
Seems changing it to WPA personal + changing the password worked!!
Loves you guys! :biggrin: (shall rep everyone for being so helpful in due course) :smile:
Reply 16
Just buy me a pint instead since you're in Sheff :wink:

Latest

Trending

Trending